Author Topic: How to remix styles  (Read 2997 times)

Offline MusicMan

How to remix styles
« on: January 22, 2020, 02:07:35 AM »
Hi

It it possible to do any of the following tasks in Genos or does one need a separate piece of software?
For a particular style part,  I would like to
• Set a different style voice for each variation.
• Set a different volume level for each variation.
• Have different panning values for each variation
• Have continous slow panning or a particular part.

Actually I would like to have mixer setting that are different from variation to variation for various parts.

I've noticed that if I use Assembly in Style Creator to swap a Style part, it copies the voice and all the mixers settings for that style part. So I'm assuming that I could use Assembly to copy a part to a blank style, make the voice and mixer settings I want then use Assembly again to copy it back, but I was wondering if there is a better way.

I assume I could also accomplish this with a Registration record, but I want to save the changes with the style.

These techniques still doesn't allow me to do continuous panning for a part.

Thank You Genos experts
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 03:06:07 AM by MusicMan »

Offline ckobu

Re: How to remix styles
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2020, 12:13:52 PM »
You can do this in your keyboard without any external software.
It is important that after entering Style Creator you open the mixer for each part and then change the values.
Watch the video.

https://youtu.be/WGQiqFzWxYk
Watch my video channel

The following users thanked this post: MusicMan

Offline MusicMan

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2020, 01:22:46 PM »
Awesome. It works great.

What I don't get is, how does pressing the Direct Access button and then pressing a Variation button automatically take you to the mixer while still in Style Creator. What does Direct Access + Variation button have to do with calling up the mixer?

I understand that opening mixer while in Style Creator lets you make mixer changes per variation, but opening the mixer with that key sequence seems unusual.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 01:31:57 PM by MusicMan »

Offline DerekA

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2020, 01:28:43 PM »
Continuous slow panning is a bit tricky.

The simplest way (I'm not saying this is the only or best) is to manually insert CC10 events into the part using the step editor.

You cant do this to preset styles unless you've unlocked it first using Jorgen's program.
Genos

Offline MusicMan

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2020, 02:16:12 PM »
Yes. For continuous panning that should work. Thanks again

Offline ckobu

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2020, 02:58:42 PM »
Awesome. It works great.

What I don't get is, how does pressing the Direct Access button and then pressing a Variation button automatically take you to the mixer while still in Style Creator. What does Direct Access + Variation button have to do with calling up the mixer?

I understand that opening mixer while in Style Creator lets you make mixer changes per variation, but opening the mixer with that key sequence seems unusual.

That's how Yamaha put it, it seems practical to me.
But you can also choose the mixer via MENU1> Mixer and you will get the same.

If you already have to unlock Style with Unlocked on your computer, then it is more convenient to set the panorama with MixMaster.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7D3uE76oiLbVEXbN0idGpk7CZyTp72Tn

[attachment deleted by admin]
Watch my video channel

Offline MusicMan

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2020, 04:15:44 PM »
Great! Yeah I'm still learning Genos piece meal. Only had it a month. 

I found the complete direct access shortcuts list in the Owner's manual.

There seems to be a lot a powerful functionality under the hood. I look forward to checking out your tutorial videos.

At some point when I master the basics I'll probably start investing in 3rd party software like MixMaster, StyleWorks, PadShop to gain more control.

Great info. Thanks Again

Offline panos

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2020, 05:01:11 PM »
Hi music man,
if  "continuous panning" is to make a voice or an effect of a style part to "move" e.g from left to right and backwards, you select that part with "rec" while you are in Style Creator, you call the Mixing Console and move the data wheel while the style is playing to alter the panning.

The style part must be unlocked as Dereka said so you can do this.

In order to be more accurate before that, reduce the tempo of the style.
When you succeed with your panning, just set the tempo to the original or whatever you wish for a song.

If "continuous panning" is something else, never mind about what I wrote :)

« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 05:18:10 PM by panos »

Offline MusicMan

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2020, 06:03:54 PM »
Hi music man,
if  "continuous panning" is to make a voice or an effect of a style part to "move" e.g from left to right and backwards, you select that part with "rec" while you are in Style Creator, you call the Mixing Console and move the data wheel while the style is playing to alter the panning.

When you succeed with your panning, just set the tempo to the original or whatever you wish for a song.

Got it, yes it worked. I selected the panning control and moved the Data Wheel and I got recorded and plays back as the style plays.

To erase the panning events I just recorded so I  redo them, I set Event Filter to Control Change and also 010:PAN and then deleted the panning events so i can redo them.

Thanks
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 06:53:11 PM by MusicMan »

Offline MusicMan

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2020, 07:59:35 PM »
Hi music man,

Continuous change gets recorded and plays back with panning, but I tried the same thing with the volume slider and it didn't work.

Offline panos

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2020, 08:12:04 PM »
Ok so that is what you want.
If I don't succeed to do it with the first shot,
I select the "rec" for the drum style part (or any other style part) but move the pan in center position agian of the style part I was wanted to change before I press the "play" style button.
Now the channel (style part) I want to change is at the center position again.
Now I can try once again.
Sometimes is not good the beginning of the pan to be at the center.Could start from left.
And sometimes I need to count so it can follow the beats of the style.

E.g,:
Beat 1 left
Beat 2 center
Beat 3 right
Beat 4 center
(One bar style)

If you succeed in just one bar you can copy the values to the next bars if all bars of the style are playing the same midi pattern.

I have a psr so, in Genos search for something like Channel-Bar Copy (it is also in style creator)
In that "Channel" tab there must be also an option "Remove Event" so you can also remove a "wrong" pan attempt from there if you wish for the style part.

Edit:
For the volume I didn't succeed also to do it this way.
I had to go inside the "Edit" tab of style creator and insert events as Dereka said  :(