Author Topic: Thinking of buying the SX900  (Read 9223 times)

Pianoman Paul

Thinking of buying the SX900
« on: January 01, 2020, 10:19:26 AM »
Hey All!
I have a Korg PA2Xpro that I'd love to gig with, but I don't want to carry a 40 lb keyboard.  It looks like the PSR SX900 would be a good alternative.  By forfeiting 76 keys for 61, hardware drawbars and aftertouch, I could replace it with a 25 lb keyboard that I could carry to gigs.  I don't really need it as an arranger, but in addition to the fantastic sounds, the selling point is the 2 auxiliary line outs.  This gives me several options to simplify my rig.  My plan right now is to feed my midi pedals to the SX900 for bass and send that to one of the aux outs.  That lets me eliminate a separate tone module that I have to carry now.  And I'm thinking of connecting my mic to the SX900 as well, to feed the mic/harmonizer signal to the other aux out and eliminate my hardware harmonizer.  I probably will continue to use my BK7 for drums, and my existing lower keyboard for comping/piano sounds.  That means I probably won't use the styles at all, awesome though they are.  The main outs will just be for solo/lead lines.  My existing lower keyboard would still have to be midi'd to the SX900 for chord recognition for the harmonizer.  Before I make the purchase I'm curious if anyone sees any kinks in this plan. 
Thanks in advance for any feedback you can provide!

blackpool

Re: Thinking of buying the SX900
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2020, 01:23:27 PM »
Great board and very portable, although if you want 76 and have a PA anyway, you might well pick up its big brother Genos now 'on the money'
There will be some interesting stuff on show next week at the US festival - personally I would wait ans see what that brings along!
But Yes - if you do decide on an SX great board !!  in fact the 700 might be ok for your needs from what you say Paul, although not checked spec on Aux. out on 700.

Keith
« Last Edit: January 01, 2020, 01:25:09 PM by blackpool »

Pianoman Paul

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2020, 02:41:08 PM »
Keith - thanks for the response.  The Genos is a little heavier and almost 3 times the price of the SX900.  And it appears the SX900 might be newer and have many features the Genos hasn't caught up with yet.  I'll take a better look at it.  It might be worth the money.  And I'll keep my eyes open if there's a sense a newer version might be coming. 

blackpool

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2020, 04:46:49 PM »
I meant a decent home used Genos Paul - which now can be got for around 2K  I only paid £1700 for mine used.
The ONLY reason i went back from Genos to SX was size, as I only really have space in my flat for a 61.
The Genos has just had a decent up-date + its the same OS as SX but better in many ways ....due to 'new' cost difference.
I do think they could have made the Genos a little more compact for Gigging though it does seem really spread out, especially control wise. I am amazed the same controls on most 61 boards are simply spread wider on a 76 note model....makes it difficult on the fly on some 76's ....IMHO.
Thats the good thing with built in speakers, even if you dont use em, they have 'had' to make the controls more conv. its a no brainer in my book ....keep things handy
The 6 assignables on the SX are SUPER and in a great spot 'dead central' now that I love about this board and its one the the BEST features.
Sorry - I cant really comment on your 'tech' questions but I do believe the Genos to now be as up to date as SX with the up-date.
Keith
BTW.... The BK7 is magic .... wish I had kept mine. They are getting quite collectable ....worth much more now used than new!  now that makes a change with kit!! 
« Last Edit: January 01, 2020, 04:57:20 PM by blackpool »

DonM

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2020, 05:31:01 PM »
One thing to be aware of...if you are used to a top-end external vocal harmonizer, the one in the SX may disappoint you.
It is usable, but has some faults.  For one, the vocal "stream" is interrupted if you engage it or disengage it while singing a note.  It is a split second blip for sure, but it drove me crazy.  It has always been on the Yamaha vocal harmonizer. 
If the VH harmonizer is one of the reasons you are changing you may want to consider another Korg, such as PA1000, particularly if you won't be using the outstanding Yamaha styles and sounds.

Pianoman Paul

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2020, 05:46:10 PM »
Thanks again for all the info.  I hadn't looked at the Genos seriously.  It has yet another (3rd) set of stereo outs, so I could eliminate my existing drum box.  And the additional 4 lbs is easily offset by eliminating one more component and getting the 76 keys I prefer.  I wish it was 1 inch shorter - it won't fit into my existing road case.  It's way more than I want to spend, but it might be worth it.  Weighing the pros & cons, but knowing all the choices sure helps.  (And I guess I need to keep my harmonizer.)

DonM

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2020, 07:27:54 PM »
I have a new Gator case that fits it perfectly.  https://www.gatorcases.com/products/keyboard/keyboard-gig-bags/gkb/76-note-keyboard-gig-bag-gkb-76/
$90. shipped to U.S.

Offline Ingar

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2020, 11:11:17 AM »
I can say this...Sx 900 is a great keyboard which is growing  with the task.

Ingar

Pianoman Paul

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2020, 02:36:59 PM »
The info on the harmonizer is really useful – I wonder if the Genos suffers from the same glitch?  Also, thanks for the info on the gator case, but that's not what I'm looking for.  All my components are built into a single road case.  That allows really easy set-up and tear down.  I open the case, plug in the powered speakers and I'm ready to play.  The internal width of the box is 48 inches, so buying the Genos would mean having a new one built to accommodate the 48.5 inch board.  It gets a bit tricky, because I can't go too much longer and still have the box fit in my Honda Fit.  Thanks to everyone for all the great info!

blackpool

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2020, 05:21:25 PM »
Don has great point there - maybe check out the pa1000 or even 4X ( if you want the 76 and it will fit the rig box )
I had trouble getting my head around Korg OS  but with you having a 2X already your home and dry!!  both of these are fine instruments, which i am sure your already aware of, but not sure about the 'weight' situ which was your main concern. In the UK you can get a decent home used 4X for under 2K - not sure what prices are like where you are....good luck in what you decide 
Keith
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 05:22:46 PM by blackpool »

Pianoman Paul

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2020, 09:47:57 PM »
I really like my PA2Xpro, and I'm fine with the interface.  It's 40 lbs, and the newer the PA4x-76 is 36, so there's hardly a difference.  I just spent a little over an hour on the SX900 at the local Guitar Center.  The OS seems pretty intuitive; I was able to tweak the leslie speed.  Splits seemed a little weird, but I found my way around.  (And that was one confusing thing on the Korg - the bass split was different than a LH comping split.)  It's a little tough not to just jump, but I'm still (literally) weighing my options. 

Pino

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2020, 07:14:38 AM »
If my profile name was "Pianoman Paul"
Then I would stick with a 76.
Just saying

Pino

Pianoman Paul

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2020, 01:30:45 PM »
There's a great singer I play with that nick-named me Pianoman Paul and it kinda' stuck.  I was a bit annoyed at first.  I used to work really hard at not always playing acoustic piano and picking loads of different solo sounds, and still all anybody heard or thought was piano.  But you're right - I find 61 keys for my main board to be pretty restrictive.  So I'm leaning towards the Genos in that regard.  On the other hand, the price of the Genos is ridiculous, and I'd literally be putting all my eggs in one basket.

blackpool

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2020, 05:49:29 PM »
I Only paid £1700 for a MINT used Genos with speakers which i sold on, so it cost me little over £1500 net...
which is LESS than my new SX...... maybe I was lucky?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 05:50:39 PM by blackpool »

Offline beakybird

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2020, 06:49:36 AM »
I Only paid £1700 for a MINT used Genos with speakers which i sold on, so it cost me little over £1500 net...
which is LESS than my new SX...... maybe I was lucky?

Man, were you lucky. You can probably keep it for 10 years and get your money back.

Offline Paula

« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2020, 06:01:21 PM »
I never use left voice on T4 or psr 975  I do use VH,   I  lower the volume on left to 0, the VH will not cut out if you turn left on and left hold on in the part select , else when you change chords the harmonizer will cut out when you lift your left hand to change a chord as we all know the harmonizer works with the chords we play, I use full finger chords so I do not know if it works with one finger chord settings as some may use?
          Paula
You Tube
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1xEYzY5g_0Nd5G9TkMY6mA/videos
Genos 1,Tyros 4 and Bose S1 Pro, Bose L1 Mod 2 w/tonematch
PSR S970

DonM

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2020, 12:59:22 AM »
I'm not talking about changing chords, the vocal processor cuts out for a split second when you engage or disengage the harmonizer while singing a note.  The Genos is the same.  All Yamaha arrangers do this.  It may not bother others as much as it did me.  As long as you are not singing a note when you turn it on or off it's fine.

Offline Ingar

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2020, 11:18:18 AM »
The info on the harmonizer is really useful – I wonder if the Genos suffers from the same glitch?  Also, thanks for the info on the gator case, but that's not what I'm looking for.  All my components are built into a single road case.  That allows really easy set-up and tear down.  I open the case, plug in the powered speakers and I'm ready to play.  The internal width of the box is 48 inches, so buying the Genos would mean having a new one built to accommodate the 48.5 inch board.  It gets a bit tricky, because I can't go too much longer and still have the box fit in my Honda Fit.  Thanks to everyone for all the great info!
Road case?Maybee I can bulid me one?
A  picture would be appreciated..

Ingar

Pianoman Paul

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2020, 12:24:30 PM »
I'm not talking about changing chords, the vocal processor cuts out for a split second when you engage or disengage the harmonizer while singing a note.  The Genos is the same.  All Yamaha arrangers do this.  It may not bother others as much as it did me.  As long as you are not singing a note when you turn it on or off it's fine.

I'm not surprised the GENOS behaves the same.  I'd guess they programmed a split second mute to cover any audible glitch while the processor replaces the previous fx with the harmonizer.  It probably would be a problem for me as well.  It doesn't surprise me that a small function or two of a do-everything board might not be up to the same level as an individual component.  But knowing ahead helps me decide how best to revamp.  Thanks!

Pianoman Paul

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2020, 02:39:21 AM »
Road case?Maybee I can bulid me one?
A  picture would be appreciated..

Ingar

I don't have any still pictures of the road case handy, and I don't have any pictures of it closed up.

Here's a video close up.  On the floor of the case that you can't see are midi bass pedals along with the sustain and expression pedals.  What you can see are 3 levels, the lowest being piano/comping, then solo keys, and finally drums to the far left (back), music rack and gooseneck.  There's a mixer on the right so far in the foreground it doesn't show.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqmQUnLXeBk

Here's a video from a little distance.  On the side you might be able to see the black latch which is used to lock the keyboard in the playing position.  Very obvious are the wheels which should give you some idea of how the box travels.  To pack up, I lean the whole rig forward.  Once I unlock the black latches I can fold the bass pedal section over on it's hinges to be the cover for the rest of the box.  The silver latches keep the box closed for transport, and the silver handles are uesd to lift it.  The internal components total about 65 lbs, so even with the weight of the box, it's under 100 lbs.   
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kn24E7QESzo

It's a little heavy to lift in and out of the car.  But set up is a breeze.  I wheel in a box, connect power and powered speakers and I'm ready to play.

Offline rene1242

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2020, 09:27:22 PM »
Sold my S770 Bought the sx 900 after trying both sx 700 and sx900 -- the sx-900 was more packed with features Now I cant wait to to receive it -- Its an awesome keyboard !!!!
"SynthGrooves"

Offline steakikan

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2020, 10:37:59 AM »
Just recently replacing my old S910 with the SX900, voice wise I would say the preset voice is a jump (and iirc Korg's older keyboard doesn't sound that good compared to my S910).
Korg kinda win on customization, seems a bit more flexible than Yamaha but nothing really missing here with all Style available.
Personally I would prefer Genos, but the used price here is quite stagering  (about 3000usd) and due to some pressing need with the church I decide to buy SX900. The Revo drum sound really cool on Genos (tho SX900 is no slouch, in fact compared to S770 that our church own I would say there is a bit of jump in quality). The DSP on SX900 is also a bit better, same preset voice sound smoother on SX than the older generation, tho I'm not sure is it due to better sample or better dsp. Price wise in my location the price is about the same as S975 when first released. I think in my country PSR Series are quite popular and it is also manufactured here (not the Genos tho, it is made in China) so overall it is cheaper here (about 1300 usd, additional 50usd for hardcase+stand).
The touchscreen need sometime to get used too (I prefer tactical button) but assignable button is a blessing, especially for toggling half bar fill. Controlling volume doesn't seems as intuitive as button based PSR-S series especially when the touchscreen doesn't support multitouch which prevent dropping multiple part volume (CMIIW, I only experimented with it for about 2 weeks)

Just my 2cent

Offline EileenL

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2020, 11:42:15 AM »
Why not assign volume to one of the Live Control Knobs. Quick to operate.

Offline Graham UK

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2020, 12:46:33 PM »
Pianoman Paul. Because you are well into the OS of Korg...Suggest you look at the Pa1000 / 700
These Pa 's are stated to have the same sound engine of the Pa4X.

The SX900 & 700 are very good but take into account they don't have after-touch which may be important to you after your Pa2.  That's is the reason I went the T5-76
DGX670

The following users thanked this post: daleSP

rcpilot

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2020, 02:10:51 PM »
Speaking of Aftertouch, I wander if I had a MIDI KBD connected if it had aftertouch, if the SX-900 would respond to aftertouch, or are the sounds not programmed for this??
Lee

The following users thanked this post: gio

Offline Aquilauno

« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2020, 07:13:37 PM »
Speaking of Aftertouch, I wander if I had a MIDI KBD connected if it had aftertouch, if the SX-900 would respond to aftertouch, or are the sounds not programmed for this??
Lee
I am also interested in this answer ... my daughter wants to study piano and I do not want to give up the SX 900 ... a keyboard with 88 semi-weighted keys would be ideal (connected in midi).
I think that (perhaps)  the piano does not require the aftertouch but the pedals (two or three) are need...
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 07:17:05 PM by Aquilauno »

rcpilot

« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2020, 11:02:12 PM »
Yes, that will work. MIDI from a 88 key MIDI piano to SX-900, no problem. You would have 2 foot pedals, sustain obviously and 1 other of your choice. Most 88 MIDI's have hammer action piano keybeds, but you might find semi weighted. A 76 you could get either way. OR get a digital piano and MIDI that....it would be better by far if daughter wants to learn piano. (be sure it has a 5 pin MIDI out on it). The hammer action is I think important for piano students.

Still don't know about aftertouch...any one???
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 11:03:34 PM by rcpilot »

The following users thanked this post: Aquilauno

Offline steakikan

« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2020, 10:10:10 AM »
Why not assign volume to one of the Live Control Knobs. Quick to operate.
Haven't tried that but not sure whether it can control multiple volume at the same time. I suspect either it can't or it do some kind of latching when it increase or decrease the volume of multiple parts.
Maybe Yamaha kinda push toward Genos for that flexibility.

Lee
Nope

quote from Reff:
"his event is generated when pressure is applied to a key after the note is played. Note that the keyboard of this instrument does not feature Aftertouch."

Offline Aquilauno

« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2020, 12:34:28 PM »
Thanks Rcpilot... 
This "CASIO PX S1000 BK" is one of the few that i found with midi in / out ... on €. 500 (new), meanwhile I keep looking ...

Yesterday I tried the Sx in the shop in Rome .... beautiful ... beautiful ... very beautiful. I start with this, I have to wait for the end of February.
Then if I see that the daughter is passionate... I will see 88 keys to be combinet with sx900 in the near future.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 12:36:17 PM by Aquilauno »

Offline EileenL

« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2020, 03:40:08 PM »
I certainly don't think you will find after touch on a Piano. Just the normal touch sensitivity that is on the SX900. 

Offline mikf

« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2020, 03:59:24 PM »
Nowadays it’s almost as cheap to buy a low cost stand alone digital piano as an 88 key controller. Makes sense because most of the costs are in the keyboard, case, marketing etc. You can still use it as a controller, but typically the piano voices are better than the arranger. That’s the way I would go.
Mike

rcpilot

« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2020, 03:20:20 PM »
Yes, I know the SX-900 keybed does not have after touch...BUT does the sound engine (sounds) respond to after touch? That is the question...I think only way to find out is test it...someone?

Some sounds really are great using after touch.....
Lee

DonM

« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2020, 06:24:48 PM »
You can open the manuals, go to the midi implementation pages and see if aftertouch is checked.

rcpilot

« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2020, 10:01:00 PM »
Don, yes according to the MIDI implementation chart channel after touch is recognized, but I wonder if the sounds actually respond to it??
Lee

DonM

« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2020, 10:14:52 PM »
Yes, that's what it means. 

rcpilot

« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2020, 07:03:58 PM »
I hope so.....I hope someone can test it and let us know for sure...Why would Yamaha program sounds in the SX900 to use aftertouch if the keybed can't provide the aftertouch messages?

But I sure hope they did!
Lee