Author Topic: Pedal, good investment??  (Read 3504 times)

marc1956

Pedal, good investment??
« on: January 17, 2020, 01:17:33 PM »
I can buy second hand the Yamaha Pedal FCS sustain pedal.
Is this usefull on a PRS E430, and what can i do with it.

marc

Offline Colin D

Re: Pedal, good investment??
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2020, 01:39:24 PM »
Marc,

Make sure it's a genuine Yamaha product.  There are some cheap plastic copies going around that double trigger and are useless for step registration, however they are good for sustain etc,

Regards

Colin
Previous, Technics E44, E66, U90, G7, GX7 G100, Tyros 2, Tyros 5, now Genos,

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNozAL1Whf-t4TJY5wPK57Q

Offline Gunnar Jonny

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2020, 01:57:38 PM »
I can buy second hand the Yamaha Pedal FCS sustain pedal.
Is this usefull on a PRS E430, and what can i do with it.

marc

I supose this is the FS5 (five), a footswitch?
To see what can be assigned, you have to look into the manual, or pedalsettings at the keyboard.
It's used to different functions, such as sustain while play piano or other instrumen, it's used to fillins, start/stop, and swap up or downwards the registration settinge ad more.
All depending of the keyboards kapasity assigned to pedals, or personal liking. :)
Cheers 🥂
GJ

Offline DerekA

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2020, 03:20:01 PM »
For this model, it's really only used as a sustain pedal.

It's useful if you want to play piano solo.
Genos

Offline mikf

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2020, 05:47:12 PM »
These are cheap on/off switches and only cost about $15 new, and there are even cheaper clones about that work OK. If you are buying it second hand it is only worth about $5, so hardly a big investment decision. You can use an on/off type switch for multiple functions depending on which keyboard. I would think on the E430 that is pretty limited, maybe only sustain as another post says. And these lightweight switches do move about easily.
Mike

marc1956

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2020, 08:47:18 PM »
Thanks for all the info guys.
If I read it good, it is not worth the investment of  €17,- for a second hand.

Marc

Offline Toril S

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2020, 09:20:20 PM »
But you need a sustain pedal! I would buy a good Yamaha one new.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline SciNote

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2020, 02:44:43 PM »
I am not aware of a model PSR-E430.  Do you mean the PSR-E433?  If that's so, then the sustain pedal can be programmed to act either as a sustain pedal, like the damper pedal of a piano, or it can be used -- I believe -- to hold an arpeggio pattern (I haven't checked this feature in a while, and I only use my pedal as a sustain/damper pedal).

On the PSR-E433 (as well as the later models E443, E453, and E463), if you have split the keyboard by using a split voice, the sustain/damper function only works for the right-hand side of the keyboard.

In any case, I agree that having a sustain pedal is a worthwhile purchase.  Like was said above, even a new one is not that expensive, and it can greatly enhance your playing.  Not just for piano sounds, but also for any sound where you want to make a nice, lush transition from one passage to another.  It works great for strings, choir, and other "pad" type sounds.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 02:45:56 PM by SciNote »
Bob
Current: Yamaha PSR-E433 (x2), Roland GAIA SH-01, Casio CDP-200R, Casio MT-68 (wired to bass pedals)
Past: Yamaha PSR-520, PSR-510, PSR-500, DX-7, D-80 home organ, and a few Casios

marc1956

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2020, 08:02:21 PM »
I mixed up the numbers. it's a PSR-E403

Marc

Offline SciNote

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2020, 06:43:47 AM »
Okay, that's different.  I am not familiar with the E403, though it was the first model in this series.  I don't think it includes arpeggios, so the pedal is likely just for sustain/damper.  I would guess that, like the later models, it still only affects the right side of a split keyboard, but I would need to check the manual for that.
Bob
Current: Yamaha PSR-E433 (x2), Roland GAIA SH-01, Casio CDP-200R, Casio MT-68 (wired to bass pedals)
Past: Yamaha PSR-520, PSR-510, PSR-500, DX-7, D-80 home organ, and a few Casios

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2020, 12:02:28 PM »
The PSR-E403 can use either the FC4 or FC5 pedal for sustain. It does have an Arpeggio feature, but there is no Pedal function that lets you select whether to sustain the Voice or hold the Arpeggio.