Author Topic: What is the purpose of the LAN connection on the back of the SX900  (Read 2776 times)

Offline Denn

What is the purpose of the LAN connection on the back of the SX900 when it does not have a hard drive?

How do you turn off the touch?

How do I find the little boxes to tick which holds the split point and other settings so that they don't change when a new registration is selected? (As per the Tyros4)

I was most impressed with the sound but the fellow who brought the kbd around to my house in North Victoria had the impression that I was in Darwin - the bass was incredibility LOUD to say the least. He is about 45 years younger than me so his genre is long after my playtime.

What are the set of assignable buttons under the screen?

Regards, Den.
Love knitting dolls

Offline Robert van Weersch

Re: What is the purpose of the LAN connection on the back of the SX900
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2020, 06:53:47 AM »
LAN: I don't know how a netwerk connection should relate to a hard drive (??), but I guess it would have the same function as the USB wifi on my T5: time-sync, MIDi over wifi etc. But are you sure the SX900 has a LAN connector? I've looked in the manual and at pictures, but I can't find it...
Touch: why would you want to turn off a touch screen? Or do you refer to the touch sensitivity of the keys? The latter is described in the manual.
Split point and other settings: look in the manual under "registration freeze".
Assignable buttons: press MENU / Assignable. Yet again: this is explained quite well in the user manual.

Manuals:https://europe.yamaha.com/en/products/musical_instruments/keyboards/arranger_workstations/psr-sx900/downloads.html
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 06:56:18 AM by Robert van Weersch »
---
Yamaha Tyros 5 76
Korg Liverpool (microArranger)

Offline Denn

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2020, 09:18:06 AM »
Hello Robert, Thanks for the reply. The connection is the same as that on a printer. I use it on my Tyros 4 to access the hard drive. Couple the T4 and computer to sort out the keyboard.
Sorry, no not the touch screen but the touch on the keys. On my T4 when the touch is on many of the voices are too quiet so I turn OFF the touch. Touch has no effect on the organ voices but the Concert Guitar is so quiet with the touch on. Hence it is turned off.
Sorry to have asked these questions as the keyboard is not due until next Tuesday 21, and I would like to be up and running when it arrives.
Hartelijk dank Robert, Regards, Denn.
Love knitting dolls

Offline Robert van Weersch

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2020, 10:04:42 AM »
You're refering to the USB port. That's not a LAN port :)
Best preparation is to scan through the user manual. Everything you can do / change / adjust on a T4, can in a similar way also be realised on a SX900.
---
Yamaha Tyros 5 76
Korg Liverpool (microArranger)

Offline andyg

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2020, 10:18:41 AM »
Touch response quite correctly does not apply to organ voices (or harpsichord) as the real things, like Hammonds and pipe organs, are not touch responsive. The default setting for touch response is 'Normal'. That's too fierce for a lot of players, so dive into the menu and alter this to 'Soft 2'. Unless you're an absolute beginner, I'd always advocate having touch response on, and set to 'Soft 2', as it lets you emphasise notes in the melody - the start of adding dynamics. A volume pedal completes this aspect of playing, of course.

You can also start editing the touch offset on individual voices, so they react a little more kindly to gentle key presses. Depends how picky you want to be! :)

It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively

rcpilot

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2020, 04:02:40 PM »
Yes, touch 2 seems to work better for too...as I come from organ playing...not piano
Lee

blackpool

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2020, 04:43:16 PM »
What are the set of assignable buttons under the screen?

Regards, Den.

Again - Den if you quickly consult the manual - You will note the assignables can be used for lots of different functions, there are around 6 pages of choice I think !! 
They are SUPER - so you can get your most used button functions even closer on the fly... I'm using 2 of mine for transpose. 2 for octave another for fill and the last for rotary.....but you can of course use them for what ever you like....
I also use the 2 knobs for revb. and bal. which I find handy for quick adjustments on the fly.
I like the way you can 'pair' buttons  ( ie transpose or maybe tempo use.... - hit the two together and they default, just like the real controls )  now that is clever! I labelled mine until it 'sinks in' what I am actually using them for. 

you will have to take the ref. manual to bed.... lol

Keith 
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 05:17:35 PM by blackpool »

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively

Offline Denn

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2020, 08:48:47 PM »
Hello Keith, "you will have to take the ref. manual to bed"

Would prefer the  womanual to bed.... lol

Den.  ;D
Love knitting dolls

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2020, 12:37:45 AM »
Denn

I do not have an XS900 . . . so, not able to answer your questions. 

However, i found this SX900 user manual (see link below)

You might want to download it and start reading it . . . in preparation for when your keyboard arrives.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1617927/Yamaha-Psr-Sx900.html?page=11#manual

Hope it helps.
Greetings.
AL
San Diego/Tijuana