Author Topic: Question please about using Yamaha Subwoofer  (Read 2733 times)

markchapman1976

Question please about using Yamaha Subwoofer
« on: January 16, 2020, 04:25:01 PM »
Hi there I've connected my Yamaha subwoofer to my PSR S975 and in the EQ section there is an option  use with subwoofer. I'm not sure why that is there as the subwoofer works regardless without that option. Am I correct or does that option  do something special? Also I've noticed that bass on a song normally needs to go down to between 50 and 70 volume max else it's too bassy. Normally without it my bass would be between 70 to 95. Also can I set the master EQ a certain way to compliment the subwoofer or is the sound ond size fits all? Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 04:32:55 PM by markchapman1976 »

AndyMark

Re: Question please about using Yamaha Subwoofer
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2020, 05:47:16 PM »
Hi.
I have PSR-s975. If you set the subwoofer option in the MEQ section, the Yamaha subwoofer bass will be automatically lowered to the correct level. You don't have to "manually" adjust the bass level.
The standard "With Subwoofer" setting is:
for FREQ 63 Hz is GAIN -4 db
for FREQ 140 Hz is GAIN -3 db
The standard setting can be adjusted to your liking and saved under your own name.

I use the M-audio subwoofer, which has more power, that's why in the MEQ section I change the TYPE setting and save as STORE 1, under my name, eg "Sub M-audio".
This setting also depends on the subwoofer volume setting (potentiometer on the back of the subwoofer).
My subwoofer has a FREQ range of 32 Hz to 200 Hz, so I also changed the FREQ setting in the MEQ section:
from 63 Hz to 32 Hz
from 140 Hz to 200 Hz
next
for FREQ 32 Hz I set GAIN -9 db
for FREQ 200 Hz I set GAIN 1 db

Regards

The following users thanked this post: JohnStarbuck

markchapman1976

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2020, 09:51:12 AM »
Thankyou very much indeed. This information is great to learn. 

markchapman1976

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2020, 02:54:32 PM »
I've applied all settings as recommended by you and yamaha but on some midi files the bass is very overpowering and too much. What do you suggest please? Thanks

AndyMark

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2020, 08:56:37 PM »
Hi,
I also have, that some (STYLE) files have overwhelming bass. Then I adjust the volume of the bass in a given file (STYLE, MIDI).

In my opinion, you must first decide on the GAIN volume of the subwoofer in the MEQ section (according to the internal files of the instrument. External files may sound differently).
If this is the recommended Yamaha subwoofer, I would choose the appropriate setting in the MEQ (With Subwoofer) section.
Then correct the bass volume in some of these files.

The easiest way after correcting STYLE files is to register with the register button. Then the bass sounds the same in all variations of style.

As for MIDI files, I tried to do it in the MIXING CONSOLE (SONG CH 9-16) window. This attempt failed.
I did it at SONG CREATOR.
First, I chose the file to be processed and saved with the changed name (so as not to lose the file.)
I opened the SONG window with the SELECT button and selected this file.
Then I opened the MIXING CONSOLE (SONG CH 9-16) window - with the middle button on the side of the screen: PART / MIXER EQ and PART / CHANNEL ON-OFF. This second button allows you to locate the bass (ON / OFF). In my files bass is saved in channel 11.
I adjusted the bass volume.
Then I opened the SONG CREATOR window - CHANNEL tab.
In the SOURCE 1 column I chose channel 11.
I pressed SAVE on the right side of the screen.
Then I saved the changed file in the USER tab. (or on UB)
The bass file has been muted in the new file.

The instrument's internal files should be played correctly with the standard setting for the recommended subwoofer. However, files from outside may need to be corrected.
It seems that, unfortunately, these are the consequences of using a subwoofer. Files recorded with different MEQ settings sound different with the subwoofer.
Maybe someone will correct me or find another way.

Regards