Author Topic: Curiosity on some voices and DSP  (Read 3931 times)

Francesco Massa

Curiosity on some voices and DSP
« on: January 15, 2020, 09:30:22 AM »
Hi friends,
I just want to share with you a couple of things I noticed about some Genos voices.
1. Editing and saving the CFX piano voice, the saved file shows S.Art label, but it has .NLV extension. A S.Art voice normally has .SAR extension. What type of voice does .NLV refer to?
2. The CP80 voice has a sustain pedal noise (both pressing/releasing), but you can hear it if you turn up volume a lot. Also this voice has .NLV extension.
3. So curious: if you set Attack to 2 instead of 0 to Upright piano voice, you can hear a damper release effect, especially on mid-high notes.
4. If you access GM & XG voices (you can do it by downloading folders on this forum or accessing by external MIDI control), a lot of voices have a better overall quality than main preset voices. Especially Shamisen, Koto, English Horn and Flute.
5. There are two synth voices in legacy folder called Nomad and Eastern Air. If you open these voices with YEM, inside there are some curious layers: a beautiful Kanoun one, ways better than default preset one, a Dulcimer, another layer similar to a Sitar and a Nay flute, not available on Genos as usable single voice. These layers come with a lot of filter, EQ, etc, but you can flat them and correct ASDR curve to make them sound correct.
6. The note D5 of Orch Trumpets voice sounds very bad at high velocity, like telephone quality. A sampling issue? Also on older/newer keyboards?
7. The Presence DSP seems to work increasing stereo field at some frequencies and boosting other ones, especially Bass Keeper preset. Infact, I hear less difference with mono voices. Do you also have this feeling?

I also have an opinion: if yamaha assigns 2 DSP to a voice instead of 1, the quality of some voices could improve by 100%. Think, for example, of a guitar with a distortion DSP followed by an EQ DSP, or a piano with a damper DSP and presence DSP, or a drum set with a compressor DSP and EQ DSP...

Francesco
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 01:02:36 PM by Francesco Massa »

The following users thanked this post: soundphase, StuartR

Offline Simone1972

Re: Curiosity on some voices and DSP
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2020, 12:56:15 PM »
Thanks Francesco for your professional report.
I'll take note and review some of the items on my PSR-SX900.

Regards

Offline overover

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2020, 01:43:03 PM »
... 1. Editing and saving the CFX piano voice, the saved file shows S.Art label, but it has .NLV extension. A S.Art voice normally has .SAR extension. What type of voice does .NLV refer to? ...

Thanks for your report!

I guess, the .NLV extension means the voice type "Natural!" (as specified in the voice lists of CVP models). In the first two versions of Tyros5 Data List (a0 and b0) there are also some voices of the type "Natural!" (see attached picture). In later Tyros5 Data List versions the voice type has changed to "S.Art!" here (as it is with the Genos).

Best regards,
Chris

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 01:45:05 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2020, 07:07:43 AM »
I also have an opinion: if yamaha assigns 2 DSP to a voice instead of 1, the quality of some voices could improve by 100%. Think, for example, of a guitar with a distortion DSP followed by an EQ DSP, or a piano with a damper DSP and presence DSP, or a drum set with a compressor DSP and EQ DSP...
At least, multiband EQ on each track would be a big improvement.

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2020, 10:41:50 AM »
Quote from Francesco:

You can set 2 or more DSP's already on voices. They  may not save within user voice files but can be saved within registrations. If you want to edit parameters on more than one you need to save the DSP as a user first otherwise the parameters will return as their default values when the reg. is next used. (Genos2 increased the no. of user slots significantly) .

John
« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 10:44:31 AM by jwyvern »