Author Topic: Extract Styles from expansions  (Read 10111 times)

Offline MusicMan

Extract Styles from expansions
« on: January 15, 2020, 01:12:29 AM »
Is there a way to extract styles from expansion files?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 02:10:02 AM by MusicMan »

Offline terryB

Re: Extract Styles from expansions
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2020, 01:06:54 PM »
Hi Musicman
I extract all styles from expansion files and put them on the User Drive so that all style are collected together
To  do this you have to do them one at a time by creating a folder on the user drive, click on a style in the expansion file and select 'save as' after selecting file. Move to the User file and click save here. A bit tedious for a lots of styles, but it collects all styles together. Any voices used in these styles that are from the expansion pack voices will require the expansion pack to be installed on the keyboard, otherwise they will not be found when playing the style.
Cheers Terry
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 01:09:32 PM by terryB »

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively

Offline Bill

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2020, 01:35:24 PM »
You can use the Yamaha MusicSoft Downloader on a PC or Musicsoft Manager with an IPAD.
Using these you can move copy all at once.

Regards

Bill
England

Current KB:  YAMAHA GENOS 2

The following users thanked this post: MusicMan

Offline MusicMan

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2020, 04:58:53 PM »
Hi

Thanks

I downloaded musicsoft downloader but I can't connect. I  used a USB printer cable. Connection failed. When I pulled the uisb cable into my computer a message opened saying. "We're setup and ready to go"

Update: I installed Yamaha usb driver. Everything works.
Regards
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 05:21:06 PM by MusicMan »

Offline overover

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2020, 05:12:41 PM »
I downloaded musicsoft downloader but I can't connect. I  used a USB printer cable. Connection failed. When I pulled the uisb cable into my computer a message opened saying. "We're setup and ready to go"

Hi MusicMan,

you have to download and install the Yamaha USB-MIDI Driver first. Then the MusicSoft Downloader (MSD) should can connect automatically. If you make the connection manually in MSD, use the USB-MIDI port "Digital Workstation 1".

https://uk.yamaha.com/en/support/updates/index.html?c=keyboards&k=usb-midi+driver+v3.1.4

P.S.
You can also use the USB Storage Mode (press PLAYLIST button while powering on) to access the Genos User drive (where the Expansion folder is located) from the PC.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 05:19:37 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2020, 05:54:38 PM »
Great info.

I will try this.

thanks
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline MusicMan

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2020, 06:16:59 PM »
I'm using the Yamaha Music Soft Downloader. It gets the job done. A lot better than saving one styles at a time to USB1 or USER drive but it lacks a lot of functionality that would make it a lot better. It doesn't copy only moves the styles. So it remove the styles from Expansions. I guess you could run Expansion manager again to reinstall the styles so that they are in Expansions and the user drive. Unless I am missing something. 

Thank for telling me about Yamaha Music Soft Downloader

Offline overover

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2020, 07:01:54 PM »
Is there a way to extract styles from expansion files?

Hi MusicMan,

Styles in .ppf Packs (that have been already imported to the YEM)  can be extracted by using the PC program "YEM Content Explorer" (YEM-CE), developed by our forum member Vali (valimaties). Info and Download here:

https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,53624.msg417847.html

https://mvsoft.weebly.com/yem-ce-version-history.html

There is also the program "Style Extractor" (developed by our forum member "jexino") that can extract Styles directly from .ppf (or .ppi) files. You will find the download link for V1.0.0.5 here:

https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,44290.msg369236.html#msg369236

IF you are planning to use the Styles with the original Expansion Packs, I recommend to use "YEM-CE" or copy (as you already did) the Styles manually out of the Expansion folder (using MusicSoft Downloader or USB Storage Mode). Then the Styles will automatically contain the "right" LSB to can play the voices of the corresponding Expansion Pack.

IF you want to use the styles WITHOUT the corresponding Expansion Pack anyway, you can also use the "Style Extractor" (and manually revoice the styles later if necessary).

P.S.
I would also LEAVE the Styles in the Pack folder(s) inside the Expansion folder (on User drive). There is also a COPY function in MusicSoft Downloader (RIGHT-click on the desired file).

Best regards,
Chris

« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 07:10:46 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: ikmusic

Offline MusicMan

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2020, 07:41:23 PM »
Chris

Thank you so much. Great info. I've only had the Genos a month. My first arranger since the Roland VA3 way back. So much to learn. Incredible machine.

Offline MusicMan

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2020, 05:20:05 AM »
Hi MusicMan,

Styles in .ppf Packs (that have been already imported to the YEM)  can be extracted by using the PC program "YEM Content Explorer" (YEM-CE), developed by our forum member Vali (valimaties). Info and Download here:

https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,53624.msg417847.html

https://mvsoft.weebly.com/yem-ce-version-history.html

There is also the program "Style Extractor" (developed by our forum member "jexino") that can extract Styles directly from .ppf (or .ppi) files. You will find the download link for V1.0.0.5 here:

https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,44290.msg369236.html#msg369236

IF you are planning to use the Styles with the original Expansion Packs, I recommend to use "YEM-CE" or copy (as you already did) the Styles manually out of the Expansion folder (using MusicSoft Downloader or USB Storage Mode). Then the Styles will automatically contain the "right" LSB to can play the voices of the corresponding Expansion Pack.

IF you want to use the styles WITHOUT the corresponding Expansion Pack anyway, you can also use the "Style Extractor" (and manually revoice the styles later if necessary).

P.S.
I would also LEAVE the Styles in the Pack folder(s) inside the Expansion folder (on User drive). There is also a COPY function in MusicSoft Downloader (RIGHT-click on the desired file).

Best regards,
Chris

Chris

Thanks again.

This is both vital and time saving information.

YEM Content Explorer is the safest, easiest, fastest and most effective way I've encountered so far to extract styles from expansions. It worked great except on a few that were locked and those can be handled with other utilities.

Offline Joe H

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2020, 04:45:25 PM »
Vali Maties Produced YEM Content Explorer software that will let you extract styles from expansion packs, as well a Voice definition files for MixMaster, PadMaker, PadMaker-Midi and StyleMagic.

https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,53624.msg417847.html#msg417847

Joe H
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 12:17:55 AM by Joe H »
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline MusicMan

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2020, 03:58:58 PM »
I'm just getting started with Genos (First yamaha arranger. I had it a month ), but I have to say, YEM-Content Explorer is awesome.

I was able to extract styles, reg files, multipads, and midi files. I found a few batch utilities on the web to organize the result files. The result was that I acquired thousands of styles, multipads, reg files and midi files organized into folders so I could store them in their respective categories. My collection of multipads is amazing now...all organized on USB1.

Great work!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 04:30:19 PM by MusicMan »

Wil5560

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2020, 04:17:53 PM »
So if I understand this correct, the better process is to:

1. install a pack in full through the YEM software into the Genos (eg pack purchased from Yamaha).
2. Next move the styles, multipads from the pack to your user drive.
3. go back to the Yem software and remove the already installed styles and multipads

By this you will gain extra storage as part of the 3GB?

Is my work process correct?

thanks for the replies.

Offline MusicMan

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2020, 04:29:14 PM »
Hi Wil5560

Yes, that's the way I do it as well. Except, I believe, you don't have to remove the packs from YEM, after you extract the files using YEM-CE, just uncheck them.

Only checked packs will be included in the "Save as Pack Install File" or "Send to Instrument" commands.

I don't think removing them would hurt anything but it may be unnecessary.

Styles in expansions that are heavily dependent on the wav data in the expansions will have to be revoiced by going to the mixer and touching the voice icon on each track, and then selecting an appropriate voice replacement. The number of voices in each style that need to be replaced varies quit a bit from pack to pack.

Maybe someone more knowledgeable can advise me if this is correct.

Thank You
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 10:14:19 AM by MusicMan »

Offline Graham UK

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2020, 04:38:21 PM »
Can some forum member make these extracted styles available please ?.
DGX670

Offline terryB

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2020, 03:06:53 PM »
Hi Graham
I have all the audio files in a folder sorted into genre. Only problem is I don't know how to post them. I try to send it as an attachment in the post but nothing happens  ???Cheers
Terry

Offline EileenL

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2020, 03:09:59 PM »
You can no longer send styles as an attachment on the forum.

Offline Bill

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2020, 03:16:37 PM »
Can some forum member make these extracted styles available please ?.

Hi Graham

Exactly what Expansion Styles are you referring to.

Bill
England

Current KB:  YAMAHA GENOS 2

Offline EileenL

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2020, 05:32:06 PM »
Audio ones. They can be downloaded  and then individually saved to a USB stick but will only work on Genos or 970 to pick up the Audio Drums I believe