Author Topic: Quick pack install deleted all existing Expansion packs  (Read 4172 times)

Offline StuartR

Quick pack install deleted all existing Expansion packs
« on: January 14, 2020, 07:29:18 PM »
I guess I'm missing a basic concept about how to use the new Quick expansion pack method. I loaded a complete set of Expansion packs using the full formatting method. I then deselected all but one small additional pack and saved it in the quick method format. Once i loaded it into my Genos it replaced all the previous packs with the one new one. I thought i understood how this was supposed to work but alas no.

Offline BenoitM

Re: Quick pack install deleted all existing Expansion packs
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2020, 07:53:14 PM »
You shouldn't have deselected the packs you wished to keep when you added a new pack :)

The 'Quick Install' allow you to quickly add new packs, yes, but if you uncheck a currently installed pack, YEM interpret it as "I no longer want this pack, please delete it"  :o

Offline StuartR

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2020, 08:32:51 PM »
You shouldn't have deselected the packs you wished to keep when you added a new pack :)

The 'Quick Install' allow you to quickly add new packs, yes, but if you uncheck a currently installed pack, YEM interpret it as "I no longer want this pack, please delete it"  :o

I thought that was only for the full installation method. I thought for sure that I'd done this before when adding the Superior pack.

At any rate i went looking for the documentation on all of this. The YEM manual says to look elsewhere. The Genos user manual says to look in the reference manual. The Genos reference manual only makes a one sentence note in reference to this significant new feature:

"Pack Quick Installation files “***.pqi” or “***.cqi” allow you to add data as fast as your Voice Wave capacity allows. Before using “***.pqi” or “***.cqi”, you need to save
“***.ppi” or “***.cpi” to the instrument."

That's it,  really? Surely not.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 09:03:48 PM by StuartR »

Offline EileenL

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2020, 11:10:06 PM »
In the YEM you have to keep the ticks in the packs already loaded into keyboard. You then put a tick in the one you want added and then save this as a CQI install pack.

Offline StuartR

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2020, 11:26:15 PM »
In the YEM you have to keep the ticks in the packs already loaded into keyboard. You then put a tick in the one you want added and then save this as a CQI install pack.

Yes... got that but it doesn't always work. Just tried it again and the Genos told me it couldn't install it... need to use a full install (which i had just done... minus this little pack). In my case I'm guessing there's a bug in YEM or Genos because I'm using almost all of the available expansion memory (3042/3072 MB). YEM says there's room and Genos says there's not. I guess... but who knows. At one point today YEM actually reported that I had 4096 MB of available expansion memory!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 11:36:26 PM by StuartR »

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2020, 12:00:19 AM »
hi
Stuart is right.
The Genos will not let you install the quick method even when all ticks are ticked with the new pack included.
Must be a bug
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline valimaties

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2020, 08:56:58 PM »
Some little notices:

In YEM, when selecting a keyboard, it will automatically calculate all values (Voice size, Parameter size, Pack size). If you will see a BLACK progress bar, that's mean you already have created/installed in your keyboard some amount of data! The portion with green color on progress bar is the content which has not been installed yet. The progress bar it will transform its color to light red (or a pink-red color, annoying colors used :D ) if the pack will overload maximum sizes.

The bug I encountered is the following: if you try to create a PQI/CQI file, after you created a PPI/CPI file AND you did not made any modifications to your packs or the modifications are small, it will format and install selected content (all in this case)!!! (To me it happens in this way three or four times).

I don't know WHY Yamaha did not updated YEM's Owner Manual with those new procedures!!!
Or why they did not made a video how to make those things, to be understood by all people?!?!

« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 08:58:56 PM by valimaties »

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline StuartR

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2020, 06:38:40 AM »
Some little notices:

In YEM, when selecting a keyboard, it will automatically calculate all values (Voice size, Parameter size, Pack size). If you will see a BLACK progress bar, that's mean you already have created/installed in your keyboard some amount of data! The portion with green color on progress bar is the content which has not been installed yet. The progress bar it will transform its color to light red (or a pink-red color, annoying colors used :D ) if the pack will overload maximum sizes.

The bug I encountered is the following: if you try to create a PQI/CQI file, after you created a PPI/CPI file AND you did not made any modifications to your packs or the modifications are small, it will format and install selected content (all in this case)!!! (To me it happens in this way three or four times).

I don't know WHY Yamaha did not updated YEM's Owner Manual with those new procedures!!!
Or why they did not made a video how to make those things, to be understood by all people?!?!

Exactly. The documentation is totally lacking AND their implementation was rushed and still contains problems. I'd recommend staying with the full formatting method until Yamaha fixes and properly documents this.