Author Topic: New Monitors/Sub, opinion/review  (Read 1674 times)

MrRich

New Monitors/Sub, opinion/review
« on: January 14, 2020, 03:23:51 PM »
FYI:

I purchased my T5 pre-owned and I have only used a headset...although a very good headset. It was time for speakers! With a max budget of $1k to include everything, from speakers to audio cables, I set out searching. After many hours of research, and listening to various monitors, with and without subs, I finally made a decision.

In early December I purchased a JBL LSR310S, 10" powered subwoofer and two JBL MKII 306P, 6.5" powered studio monitors. These are the latest "3 Series" of the powered studio monitors offered by JBL. The monitors are mounted on Rockville isolator pads on iCON adjustable speaker stands set at 4' high. Everything is wired together using Hosa, Pro Balanced, 1/4" and XLR shielded audio cables. The speaker system faces me from about 12' away and the subwoofer is on the floor off to one side. All my playing is done in a finished, 17' x 15' "music room", which is set-up to be kind to music.

My impression: These JBL components on their own, do not enhance any of the keyboard sounds. With the equalizer settings flat-lined you only hear the pure, unmodified sound of each nuance and instrument as it is generated by the keyboard. All the voices are clean, clear and strikingly real sounding.

I enjoy a punchy low-end with some thump, and a top-end with additional attenuation, so.....after spending some time fine tuning the Mixer/Equalizer/Master Compressor settings to my liking, I can honestly say, "THIS SYSTEM ROCKS"!

In conclusion: (This is my opinion only, as each of us hears differently in different listening environments.) Compared to the other speaker systems which I considered, such as the Yamaha HS series, the KRK Rokits, the Presonus Eris, and the Behringer Eurolive, the HBL's display a more real, honest and pure recreation of the Yamaha T5 sounds.

A "thank-you" to our local Guitar Center for allowing me to play, back-to-back, some of these speaker systems in order to establish comparisons leading to my purchase.

Regards,
Rich 

Offline Graham UK

Re: New Monitors/Sub, opinion/review
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2020, 05:41:52 PM »
Advice is to lift the Sub-Bass Unit off the floor a few inches will produce a cleaner bottom end.
Adjust height to your preference.

Subs sitting on the floor extends the cabinets front panel area which can result in Bass Boom which is unwanted.

Give it a try.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 05:43:04 PM by Graham UK »
DGX670