Author Topic: PSR-SX600 clone release: Medeli AKX10  (Read 45037 times)

Offline Toril S

Re: PSR-SX600 clone release: Medeli AKX10
« Reply #50 on: October 28, 2021, 11:50:28 PM »
Agreed! I cringe when people call it a Yamaha clone, it is NOT. But, by all means, enjoy it as long as it lasts! Have fun and play music :)
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #51 on: October 29, 2021, 05:05:19 AM »
Correct, Toril ! Well said. 🤓 🌟 ☝️

The AKX10 is not a Yamaha clone.

I love my Yamaha SX900 and I like my Medeli AKX10 very much.

A Mercedes and a VW are both very reliable, nice and competitive cars but different, also in price.

See also Android, Windows and Mac hardware.

BTW Medeli China confirmed me recently they will manufacture HIGH END
arranger keyboards in the near future.

Very exciting news, I guess.

If the price difference will be comparable to their AKX10, it might become much more interesting. Wait and see.

Best regards, JH

« Last Edit: October 29, 2021, 07:04:25 AM by Jeff Hollande »

km.prod

« Reply #52 on: November 09, 2021, 03:12:28 AM »
Medeli AKX10 is better than Yamaha psr sx600 and Korg pa300 (o pa600). I have these keyboards

Offline mikf

« Reply #53 on: November 09, 2021, 08:25:51 AM »

A Mercedes and a VW are both very reliable, nice and competitive cars but different, ……
Actually not that different - both are world renowned brands, both have worldwide distribution, almost 100 year history, and huge reputation. Not a comparison similar to Medeli and Yamaha at all.
Mike

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #54 on: November 09, 2021, 08:45:53 AM »
Hi Mike :

You are absolutely right ! They are not very well known in the USA e.g. yet.
Only a few small number of US dealers started to sell this keyboard ( AKX10 ) in the USA now.

Medeli, a Chinese manufacturer, are 25 years on the market now and they have never made high end arranger keyboards ever before.
They have the serious intention to manufacture high ends since they recently started to distribute the AKX10 worldwide.

The AKX10 model ( picture below ) seems to become popular. I have one. Not bad at all for its price ( EURO 689,-- ).

Here in Europe Medeli have dealers and a European Distribution Centre has been created in my lovely small country, The Netherlands. ;)

Best regards, JH

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: November 09, 2021, 09:26:22 AM by Jeff Hollande »

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #55 on: November 14, 2021, 07:22:27 PM »
Hi
It might be a Yawahara next ;D
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline mikf

« Reply #56 on: November 16, 2021, 07:09:34 PM »
It doesn't have to if it's half the cost.

km.prod

« Reply #57 on: December 20, 2021, 05:51:33 PM »
Marketing of Psr sx600 versus capacity of Medeli AKX10

Offline ckobu

« Reply #58 on: December 20, 2021, 06:09:19 PM »
Continuation of the story, and Thomann joined the game ...

https://youtu.be/GV5SVnHRosY

FantomX

« Reply #59 on: December 31, 2021, 11:52:32 AM »
Hi ... I bought Medeli AKX10 out of curiosity and tested it. Personal opinion ... good keyboard, similar to Yamaha SX (700-900), maybe a little better, Sound: the sound is better then I espected.
Rich, powerfull and bright but not thin, Style Creator ... here it is on the ground (toy from the 80's) .. but I sent an email to Medeli, and, surprise very receptive to customer requests .. in 2 days I received an answer:  Dear Sir,

Thank you for contacting Medeli !

Your demand is well received.  We know about the Style Edit of AKX10 has some limitations and restrictions, we understand now it is not easy to edit styles on AKX10.  So started from a couple of month ago, we planned a major upgrade to the Style Edit function, and we are doing it right now. 

Here are some the upgrades of Style Edit that I can share with you:
- We will remove the restriction of the channel mapping. In the current version, the original channel 1 and 9 is constantly mapped to Drum track, channel 2 and 10 to Percussion, channel 3 and 11 to Bass, and so on. It will be able to freely map the channels to any tracks.
- We will remove the restriction of channel using of different sections. Now only Intros and Endings can use channel 1~8, Mains and Fill Ins only uses channel 9~16. We will allow all sections use all 16 channels.
- We will remove the limitations of chord rules. Now only Major/Minor/All can be selected for tracks to decide which chord types they will play. We will open all Root mute, Chord mute and other chord response settings.
- We will remove the restriction of C Major 7-notes-only.
- Most of the parameters and sound settings can be changed when the style is playing in Style Edit.
- The event list actually can display program changes, controller changes, not only notes.  But we will upgrade the display and operation of some events like the sound selections.

Above is a part of the upgrades we are developing right now.  This firmware upgrade will be released with some other new features, upgrades and bug fixes.  It is now planned to be released around next March.

We know the planned upgrades in the new firmware probably will not solve all issues you have listed.  We will keep the maintenance and upgrade for your AKX10.  But please understand that AKX10 is not a top grade work station, some very detailed editing might better be done with desktop DAW.

Thank you for your feedback.  Happy new year, best wishes to you and your family!

Best regards,
So, from March, keep an eye on Medeli AKX10 ... big changes in OS are announced .   Happy new year to everyone !

lalotexas@gmail.com

« Reply #60 on: February 21, 2022, 01:59:04 AM »
used korg crome 61 or new medali akx10? for beginners

FantomX

« Reply #61 on: March 08, 2022, 01:10:49 PM »

Offline luiscarlos2000

« Reply #62 on: March 16, 2022, 08:33:54 PM »
If someone will get the preset styles from the AKX10 I'll be welcomed.
Past Yamaha keyboards that I now don't use: PSR-S710, PSR-A2000
Current Yamaha keyboard I use: PSR-A3000
Next, or future, Yamaha keyboard I will use: PSR-A5000

Offline tyros2009

« Reply #63 on: April 05, 2022, 02:24:49 AM »
If someone will get the preset styles from the AKX10 I'll be welcomed.
Can you clarify on this ?

I bought a Medeli AXK10 3 weeks ago. It works very similar to an SX-700, SX-900.
Within 2 days, I modify a set of preset styles and save them as user styles, then create a set of registrations which call up these styles along with their proper mixer setting to balance the style volume and right hand volume. Play first gig 10 days after getting it. Work out pretty well.
Voices do not sound as good as SX-900 of course, so I choose voices that sound good to play, avoid bad sounding ones.
My next step is to sample some voices on my Genos, and create a voice pack for AKX-10 and test how it sounds.
The user interface is superb, much better than my old and beloved Tyros3.

However, there are a few spec details that I do not believe: for example: 256 note polyphony., 80 watt speakers (more like 24 watts on my EW410).

So far, I am happy as it is much more portable than my Tyros3. Buying an SX-900 is not my choice as I already bought a Genos.

Korg PA-50, Yamaha YPG-235, E443, EW410, YPT400, Tyros3, Genos, Medeli AKX10, S770

« Reply #64 on: April 05, 2022, 10:05:01 AM »
Interesting.. One of our keyboard club members has just purchased a Medeli AKX10.  I have the PSR SX900 myself and was interested to hear what the Medeli had to offer compared to the SX900.  For the money the Medeli cost I was blown away with the value for money. My SX900 cost £1,650 and the Medeli costs £650.  That's a very big difference.  I preferred the Medeli keybed to my SX but the Medeli built-in speakers are very much inferior to the SX.

« Reply #65 on: April 06, 2022, 12:18:40 PM »
Hello everyone, I already have the SX-900 and tempted by the price (at the moment only positive aspect) I bought his Thomann AK-X1100 clone, removing the shipping costs would be 550 euros or so. I tried it for 10 minutes, personal opinion, in comparison with the SX I repeat the only positive aspect: the price. The sounds screech when played with MIDI files, the speakers scratch with some sounds, the styles are too simple and sound bad, very limited customizations, for example in the mixer, you cannot see the sounds and EFX used .. the intentions are good but badly exploited. Hope in future firmware updates ..  ??? :-\

« Reply #66 on: April 19, 2022, 05:43:02 PM »
Here internal styles of MEDELI/THOMANN.. use there with MEDELI "Grandsuite V2" for convert in midi+casm files than use CasmEdit for convert these in YAMAHA styles.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/ntl6pq18e11krgt/THOMANN+AK-X1100+INTERNAL+STYLES.zip/file

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively, Leading Edge, mezzoman51

Offline mixermixer

« Reply #67 on: April 19, 2022, 08:48:52 PM »
At a quick glance, the medeli model looks to use a capacitive touchscreen like a modern smartphone or tablet which is a plus for me since it's way better than the resistive touchscreen on the current PSR and Genos. Also as already mentioned, the price can't be beat. Unfortunately other than that, some voices and the styles aren't that great, they sound like they came from T1 or T2 generation. I do appreciate that this keyboard exists so hopefully Yamaha can take notice and do something about their IMO ridiculous pricing.

Offline Misu

« Reply #68 on: April 20, 2022, 06:20:11 AM »
Hi,

My country is not very rich so many people have chosen AKX 10 instead of Yamaha and are satisfied with almost everything:
sound, memory, touch, easy access to all styles from Yamaha.
One problem was the internal software.
These days, Medeli promises that a big software upgrade will follow that will amaze many.

Best regards!
PSR SX-900; PA 1000; AKX 10

Offline tyros2009

« Reply #69 on: May 17, 2022, 06:49:54 PM »
I bought a Medeli AKX-10 two months ago by curiosity and have played two gigs with it. (I owned Tyros3, S770 and Genos).
This Medeli is a great keyboard for its really low price. Yamaha keyboards players can play this Medeli right away out of the box, no need for the user manual as everything look the same.

It tooks me less than 2 days to set it up for about 2 dozen styles I use to play for parties. My Setup involves: select a style, program the 4 OTS (with volume balancing), set tempo, style volume then save this set as one registration button. I did same thing for my Yamaha keyboards.

AND it has many features that Yamaha keyboards to not have (including Genos).
Here are a few examples:
1) chord velocity:  when turned ON, the style is played loud of soft depending on how hard to play the chord. With this feature, one can play with expression. Yamaha can certainly add this feature with a simple firmware upgrade BUT ..... (we all know).
2) style editing:  when changing the style track voice and/or velocity, The AKX10 will only change for the section being edited (Intros, Mains, Endings). Yamaha keyboards with change that style track for ALL sections of the current style.
3) light color on screen and buttons can be changed to fit user taste.
4) editing the 4 QS (Quick Setting i.e. OTS on Yamaha) of a style is easier and a dedicated menu screen.
Overall, the User Interface of the AKX-10 is definitely more user friendly and more logical than on Yamaha keyboard.

The AKX10 also has flashing party lights under the keyboard, that could entertaining (but can also be turned OFF).

So what are the downside of the Medeli ? Well, the voices do not sound as good as the SX600. Although, one can sample audio voice (acoustic OR synthetizer) and create new voice for this keyboard. I plan to do this when having more time.

Korg PA-50, Yamaha YPG-235, E443, EW410, YPT400, Tyros3, Genos, Medeli AKX10, S770

The following users thanked this post: Leading Edge

« Reply #70 on: May 17, 2022, 06:59:40 PM »
tyros2009.   An interesting post on the Medeli AKX10.. Thank you for posting.

Offline DerekA

« Reply #71 on: May 17, 2022, 08:10:18 PM »
Just to note that the Yamaha PSR, Tyros and Genos arrangers do have the option for the chord to play loudly or softly in response to how hard you hit the left hand keys. It's in the style settings menu, style touch.

So no need for a firmware upgrade for that one!
Genos

Offline LaHawk

« Reply #72 on: May 17, 2022, 10:05:24 PM »
So I assume Medeli and Yamaha styles and sounds and not compatible.
Probably not, so can you add more from Medeli or a third party site?
It sure sounds like a nice alternative if cost is a factor. But remember Medeli is made in China, Yamaha, Japan, so there's that.
Larry   PSR-SX900
 My You Tube Recordings

Offline tyros2009

« Reply #73 on: May 18, 2022, 03:05:55 AM »
Just to note that the Yamaha PSR, Tyros and Genos arrangers do have the option for the chord to play loudly or softly in response to how hard you hit the left hand keys. It's in the style settings menu, style touch.

THANKS FOR THIS GREAT TIP. I never knew Yamaha keyboard has this feature. I will certainly turn it ON.
Does this apply per style or apply for ALL styles once turned ON ?

Offline tyros2009

« Reply #74 on: May 18, 2022, 03:15:38 AM »
For those with an AKX10 -
1) Is there a chord looping feature?
2) Can you edit notes in the sequencer? I checked the manual and it seems there is no way to edit the midi data (at least, it doesn’t appear to be covered).
3) Can you change the sounds on already recorded tracks? In a recent YouTube video, the reviewer says he was unable to change the sound on an already recorded midi track!

Don't know if these questions have been answered or not. Here are mine:

1) AKX10 has no chord looping feature.
My Genos has chord looping , already tried out, but I found it's not very convenient to use.
If I need a chord sequence for a particular song, I would record this sequence as an Intro (or Ending) into a Song Style ahead of time. Then use it during live play.  I am pretty good at making song styles these days.
2) I have not tried this feature. If I need to edit a MIDI file, I copy it to my PC and user MidiEditor software to make change, then play it with this software (keyboard connected to PC via USB), I will hear exactly how this revised MIDI file sounds.
3) there is a new firmware upgrade that fix the issue, user can now re-voice MIDI song on the keyboard.

Offline Robert van Weersch

« Reply #75 on: May 18, 2022, 11:36:00 AM »
Hopefully they will also create a 76-key version of this keyboard, then it looks really interesting to me!
---
Yamaha Tyros 5 76
Korg Liverpool (microArranger)

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #76 on: May 27, 2022, 08:25:31 PM »
AND it has many features that Yamaha keyboards to not have (including Genos).
Here are a few examples:
1) chord velocity:  when turned ON, the style is played loud of soft depending on how hard to play the chord. With this feature, one can play with expression.

???
Yamahas have had chord velocity since Tyros 4. It's called Style touch on T4, Dynamics Control on the newer boards. Yamaha's had it for 12 years now, they even updated it in the DGX670 which can auto fill up or down depending how hard you play the chords.

Mark

Offline tyros2009

« Reply #77 on: June 29, 2022, 12:57:27 AM »
Yamahas have had chord velocity since Tyros 4.
Almost correct, Tyros 3 also has chord velocity as I recently tried it.
And the S770 has it too.

Offline tbaroghel

« Reply #78 on: July 07, 2022, 04:34:23 PM »
To be honest, Yamaha (or Thomann/Medeli) keyboards may have the best features in the world ... it is useless if unknown to users. This is, in my opinion, a good example of a feature I never stumbled upon, and I will sure give it a try. If mistaken, show me the Yamaha video / manual page that explains it !
Humbly returning to arrangers after many years, with a PSR-SX900

Offline LaHawk

« Reply #79 on: July 07, 2022, 06:03:05 PM »
To be honest, Yamaha (or Thomann/Medeli) keyboards may have the best features in the world ... it is useless if unknown to users. This is, in my opinion, a good example of a feature I never stumbled upon, and I will sure give it a try. If mistaken, show me the Yamaha video / manual page that explains it !

Page 12 of the the SX-900 Reference Manual

MENU (2) - Style Setting.

Dynamics Control
This determines how the Style playback volume changes depending on the playing strength.

• Off: The volume is kept the same regardless of playing strength. (This is the default setting)
• Narrow: The volume changes over a narrow range.
• Medium: The volume changes over a medium range.
• Wide: The volume changes over a wide range.

(Changes made will be saved after off/on)
SX-900 Reference Manual USA: https://usa.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/7/1279207/psrsx900_en_rm_b0.pdf
Larry   PSR-SX900
 My You Tube Recordings

The following users thanked this post: Leading Edge

Offline tbaroghel

« Reply #80 on: July 08, 2022, 03:42:53 PM »
Point taken ! Many thanks for this precise (and precious) information.
T
Humbly returning to arrangers after many years, with a PSR-SX900

The following users thanked this post: LaHawk