Author Topic: EXPANSION PACK SX-PLUS SOUNDS AND STYLES OF GENOS! FOR PSR-SX  (Read 10050 times)

computec1349

EXPANSION PACK SX-PLUS SOUNDS AND STYLES OF GENOS! FOR PSR-SX
« on: January 12, 2020, 04:14:41 AM »
New expansion pack for PSR-SX series  :o :o :o :o ??? :D

https://youtu.be/RmuLxxaY2PY

Offline beakybird

Re: EXPANSION PACK SX-PLUS SOUNDS AND STYLES OF GENOS! FOR PSR-SX
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2020, 06:28:28 AM »
Really cool! What's the price? Where's the URL?

rcpilot

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2020, 06:26:01 PM »
I would like a lot more details...
Lee

Offline beakybird

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2020, 07:25:01 PM »
If you skip around through the video, you can see all 5 pages of voices , and it looks like there are 5 pages of revoiced styles.
There is no URL, only an email address below the video.
This company makes a "Genos" expansion for the S970, and I read on Synthzone that it was reasonably priced and that buyers were very happy with it.
It sounds like all info is via email and sales are via PayPal.
I speak Spanish, and this was helpful for me in perusing the video. They should make videos in other languages.

Offline Ingar

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2020, 08:14:52 PM »
When I loaded a new pack on Tyros 5 the old one disappeared. Is it still like that on SX?

Ingar

« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 08:17:11 PM by Ingar »

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2020, 11:07:24 PM »
Yes, only one pack can be installed.
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

Offline beakybird

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2020, 11:17:37 PM »
Yes, only one pack can be installed.

Is this true with this pack or with all packs on the T5 and SX700/SX900 expansion? So if one pack only takes up 1/4 of the expansion memory, you can't put anything else on there? That doesn't make sense.

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2020, 12:07:58 AM »
Hi ,
I have at least a half dozen packs installed.

When you install a new pack , it does overwrite what you have loaded.

You  use Yem  software to organise your packs ,so that you can load more than one pack at a time.

If you don’t have Yem software, downloadable on Yamaha website, along with manuals and other software.
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

Offline EileenL

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2020, 12:12:03 AM »
To load multiple packs you must use the YEM. Its is free and downloaded from the Yamaha site. It is the same with Tyros 5 and Genos.

computec1349

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2020, 12:51:55 AM »

The voices and styles.

Michael

[attachment deleted by admin]

computec1349

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2020, 12:52:42 AM »
 :o :o :o :o

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline beakybird

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2020, 01:22:50 AM »
I took the plunge. It was $65 USD. Eek!

rcpilot

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2020, 01:47:23 AM »
Please let us know if it was legitimate and a review of the sounds/styles when you can...
Thanks,
Lee

rcpilot

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2020, 01:48:50 AM »
I wander how they did it as I don't think you can pull any of the samples out of the Genos (or any other Yamaha as well)???
Lee

Offline beakybird

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2020, 02:28:04 AM »
How can you load a new pack and keep the pre-installed expansion packs? There doesn't seem to be a way to export the pre-installed packs. Hmm.

Offline beakybird

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2020, 03:35:33 AM »
I don't see any way for the preloaded to exist with a new YEM pack as there doesn't seem to be a way to export the preloaded stuff onto a USB.

But I loaded the Expansion Pack and lost the preloaded stuff.

Very quick impressions:

It's worth the price of admission. There are a few new styles that I don't currently have even though I have a ton of Genos styles. The styles have the Revo drums. Sometimes they have some other voices revoiced with the expansion content. Some of the OTS's are revoiced. They sound good. The SX900 drums already sound good to me. These sound a little better, but they might just be a little more louder or they're more real and in your face. There's a '60's Rock style that I don't think I have already. The drums sound more live and less studio sound.

The resonator guitars are remarkable. You can get that bend up sound. Just that is worth the price. There are some really great woodwinds like soprano sax, flutes and an incredible bagpipes. I love the jazz violin.

I'm not impressed by the pianos initially. At least one is too hot to the touch and has to be adjusted through voice set. I don't think it sounds any better, maybe worse than the existing pianos. The '70's Rhodes doesn't have any bite to it. It sounds pretty good but unremarkable.

There's a lot I haven't explored like the Kino strings.

I really love the sound of the SX900 already, and I don't hear anything missing from the strings or drums, so for me the jury is out on whether I'll be revoicing the drums and strings on many of my style registrations. I haven't spent much time with this pack yet.

But there are some really great solo voices. I'm going to be using that resonator guitar quite a lot. That I know of, there's nothing on the keyboard quite like it.
And the soprano sax, alto sax, jazz violin, bagpipe are better than what's on the keyboard.

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively, ton37

Offline beakybird

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2020, 05:21:10 AM »
After exploring it a little bit more (and just a little), I decided that I like the SX900 soprano sax more, but there's a pop soprano sax that gets a little different sound that I like. I'll probably use the Kino strings for some Motown because they have a faster attack.

The jazz violin and the harmonica have a little bit of a bend with a harder attack, and that's really cool. The same with the bagpipe which warbles and bends depending on your key velocity.

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively

computec1349

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2020, 05:16:23 PM »
Is legal completly  ::) 8)

Offline EileenL

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2020, 05:48:44 PM »
I don't know if calling it Ghenos they think makes a difference.

Offline beakybird

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2020, 05:59:32 PM »
I don't know if calling it Ghenos they think makes a difference.

It does. The Ghenos is a rare but coveted keyboard produced in the kingdom of Calimbria.

I agree. The S.A. and S.A.2 voices are mostly spot on. The pianos are unremarkable. I'm excited about experimenting with the drums to see if they spice up the mixes of styles that have older drums. I haven't had enough time with it to make a judgment on lots of stuff. It will probably take me a few weeks. I'm glad I made the purchase.

Offline Telmo

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2020, 08:58:39 PM »
It does. The Ghenos is a rare but coveted keyboard produced in the kingdom of Calimbria.

I agree. The S.A. and S.A.2 voices are mostly spot on. The pianos are unremarkable. I'm excited about experimenting with the drums to see if they spice up the mixes of styles that have older drums. I haven't had enough time with it to make a judgment on lots of stuff. It will probably take me a few weeks. I'm glad I made the purchase.
Could you please tell us How much memory space does this Pack take??
Yamaha PSR-SX-900, JBL EON ONE Linear-Array PA System.
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/Telmo3190
"We are Old Too quick... and Wise too late."

computec1349

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2020, 09:16:38 PM »
Could you please tell us How much memory space does this Pack take??

598MB

Regards.

Michael

The following users thanked this post: Aquilauno

rcpilot

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2020, 02:20:25 AM »
How can Yamaha expect us to buy ANY of their expansion packs when we will loose the pre-installed packs?
We need to be able to download the pre-installed so we cam use YEM to merge with new packs...How can we get them to do this for us SX owners? IF they want to sell new packs to us they need to do this!
Lee

Offline beakybird

« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2020, 02:58:23 AM »
How can Yamaha expect us to buy ANY of their expansion packs when we will loose the pre-installed packs?
We need to be able to download the pre-installed so we cam use YEM to merge with new packs...How can we get them to do this for us SX owners? IF they want to sell new packs to us they need to do this!
Lee

Heck yeah! Crazy! I'm going to call Yamaha and threaten to trade my keyboard in for a Casio unless they give me those packs.

As far as this expansion, I experimented with the jazz brush drum kit, and it isn't any better or worse than the two non-legacy brush kits on the SX900. I revoiced a few older styles to this new kit. But if something is worse or no better than what comes with the SX900, then it's worth zero to me. I still haven't tried many of the drum kits. Some of them sound quite promising, but I haven't A/B'd them.
I think some of the solo voices alone make this pack worth it, but they should have concentrated on perfecting fewer instruments rather than an imperfect smorgasbord of many instruments.
Also, a Genos owner would be a better judge of how close this is to hitting its target. Some of Yamaha's Sweet, Cool, and Live voices sound as good or better than their S.A. voices.

computec1349

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2020, 03:10:41 AM »
ACLARATIONS!

This is a similar compilation of Genos sounds, isnt the same.

2.-The drum kits are for special content and special styles.
3.-The Jazz brush Kit is for special styles of genos, you can try play other brush kits with the styles of the pack and you can see that no is compatible.

The other drums kits is for special music of 60s.

Before making a criticism you should ask or ask for advice, all content is homogeneous and has been meticulously programmed.

Any questions do not hesitate to contact us by mail or I leave our whats app.

+52 1 7711373356

Regards

Michael

computec1349

« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2020, 03:12:08 AM »
Lee

I have the packages that come preloaded if you need them to match them with our packages, we can give them to you.

regards

Michael

Offline beakybird

« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2020, 04:11:58 AM »
Michael, you make a good point. A great drum kit that's added to  the wrong style doesn't sound right. For now, I will stick to reviewing the revoiced styles that come with this package. This I haven't had time to do yet and my keyboard room has been occupied all day by another family member.
If you have the Genos styles, you'll notice that the OTS voices are frequently missing. I did notice that most of the Genos styles that come with this package have all of the OTSs, sometimes with voices from this package.
I have about 12 of the voices on my favorites menu, and tomorrow will be the first day that I try them out live.
IMO, the resonator guitar is one of the best guitars that I've played.
I'm pretty happy with the stock instruments that come with the SX900 - but not all of them. The reason why I'm happy with this package is that the harmonica and the violin have a realistic swoop that the internal voices don't have.

Offline Henni

« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2020, 06:03:24 AM »
For the BEST results you should use the Genos styles that they re-voiced themselves. I'm sure these came with the pack. Then listen to those same stock standard styles unmodified from Genos & you will notice the VAST improvements, especially in the Revo drums that came with this package.

Next use MixMaster and re-voice all Genos Revo drums on other styles to the proper Revo drums that came with this package.

The trick is to re-voice all "Revo" on-board drums used by the SX900 to the proper sampled Revo drums that came with this package. Once you've done that you'll have a better feel to replace other standard instruments with those new ones in your user area.
...Fly Forever!

Offline Aquilauno

« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2020, 10:15:01 AM »
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 10:18:41 AM by Aquilauno »

Offline Henni

« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2020, 10:31:23 AM »
The trick is to re-voice all "Revo" on-board drums used by the SX900 to the proper sampled Revo drums that came with this package.

Jorgen wrote this software to do precisely just that with the greatest of ease.
...Fly Forever!

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2020, 11:48:25 AM »
Lee

After reading this thread, I think some clarification is needed about pre-installed packs on PSR keyboards:

1. We can only have one pack installed at a time -there's no exception. We can create a new custom install pack (in YEM) by copying content from other packs we have -but is still only one pack.

2. When we install pack (no matter if original or custom) into keyboard, any pack that might exist there, is deleted automatically.

3. There are two ways to get pre-installed packs back into keyboard:
 1st -We make factory reset,
 2nd -We download pre-installed packs from Yamaha site (is free) and install them as any other pack.

4. Pre-installed pack downloaded from Yamaha site are locked (*.cpf). We can import them into YEM, but we can not change them or import into our custom (*.ppf) pack. However, we can create custom install pack (*.ppi) by using pre-installed packs. Means, resulting *.ppi pack can be a combination of any (*.ppf, *.cpf) packs.

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2020, 02:53:52 PM »
You agree to send me a lot of samples and rhythms and what the PSR needs to do will send me a lot of material and I assure you I have a lot of things to send, if you want to email me your email address and I will send you first before, and then send me all right? Bye-bye.

« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2020, 02:57:01 PM »
You agree to send me a lot of samples and rhythms and what the PSR needs to do will send me a lot of material and I assure you I have a lot of things to send, if you want to email me your email address and I will send you first before, and then send me all right? Bye-bye.  A38000123@GMAIL.COM

rcpilot

« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2020, 01:24:44 PM »
I have no idea what the last 2 post from 5501919 mean?
Thanks,
Lee

Offline EileenL

« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2020, 02:45:32 PM »
I think as usual someone wanting something for nothing.

rcpilot

« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2020, 03:25:59 PM »
OK, Thanks Eileen...
Lee