Author Topic: SX900 speakers fire toward audience vs older S models?  (Read 30944 times)

Offline Dnj

SX900 speakers fire toward audience vs older S models?
« on: October 09, 2019, 11:42:11 PM »
 [video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFAm4rY80FI[/video]

at 1:27 thru 1:50 of this video they describe the Sx900 speakers were designed to
fire toward the audience vs older models that face the player?......
as I look at the demo they look the same to me ?... ???
I'm confused? 

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 11:47:01 PM by Dnj »

Offline Toril S

Re: SX900 speakers fire toward audience vs older S models?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2019, 11:56:22 PM »
I don't really think that is the case. But it may be that the XS speakers do a better job at distributing sound. My PSR 2100 was much better heard by my audience than my S970 and S975. It most have something to do with base and treble levels. As long as the speakers don't have their elements directly pointed at the audience it is not right to say this. And even if it were true, the speakers must be cranked up to very high levels for even a small audience to hear them well, so a PA system is a must in any case. The built in speakers are for the player only. Period! They just use this argument to attract buyers.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline Dnj

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2019, 12:07:28 AM »
I don't really think that is the case. But it may be that the XS speakers do a better job at distributing sound. My PSR 2100 was much better heard by my audience than my S970 and S975. It most have something to do with base and treble levels. As long as the speakers don't have their elements directly pointed at the audience it is not right to say this. And even if it were true, the speakers must be cranked up to very high levels for even a small audience to hear them well, so a PA system is a must in any case. The built in speakers are for the player only. Period! They just use this argument to attract buyers.

I understand your point,....BUT they did say it in the video,.... and that is the confusing party...
I've had every Yamaha arranger with speakers and this was new to my ears......let's see if it can be confirmed in some way.

Offline mikf

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2019, 12:22:35 AM »
Dnj - please note there is no need to repeat the whole previous post just to respond to it.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2019, 12:24:38 AM »
So we need some help here from our XS owner  friends. Please report back to us. Start a recording on the keyboard. Step as far away from it as you can and listen! Do you hear it load and clear. When we get the XS900 in our store I will test it. Very interesting statement from Yamaha. Hm...
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

The following users thanked this post: Dnj

Offline EileenL

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2019, 12:54:44 AM »
Well it certainly dose project sound to the front as well as back. The speakers are certainly improved a lot from previous PSR models.

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2019, 03:23:57 AM »
You can clearly see the speakers are pointed at you and not the audience  ;D

Which is the way it has always been on the PSR models. 

Offline Graham UK

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2019, 01:00:14 PM »
SX Speaker distribution... Who's Conning Who !!!
Speakers facing up, that's were the sound is projected.
BOSE is a different ball game as they are Line Source Speaker.Speakers placed vertical in Line is the reason for the wide dispersion.
DGX670

Offline EileenL

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2019, 03:55:35 PM »
Well I don't know how they do it but at rehearsal last week the members certainly said they could here it better than my 970.

Online reya

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2019, 04:02:40 PM »
Eileen,

if I may ask, was that a spontaneous reaction from the members or did you ask specifically ?

Best regards
Rudy
Genos 1, PSR SX900, Roland PK6, Ketron SD1000
MSI Cubi 5 mini pc with IIyama prolite 24" touchscreen, MobileSheets

Offline Eric, B

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2019, 05:48:19 PM »
From the Yamaha website: The onboard Expansive Soundfield Speakers ensure your performance sounds full and balanced no matter where your audience is. The innovative design of the speaker diaphragm provides a crisp, high-quality tone with high-definition response and balanced sound to a broad listening area.

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical_instruments/keyboards/arranger_workstations/psr-sx900/index.html

Scroll down and click on the speaker.
The new designed diaphragm reminds me of Bose sound wave technology which would explain it.
Eric
Genos, PSR-S970

Offline Graham UK

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2019, 05:50:16 PM »
Increasing the TREBLE give the impression of better dispersion.
DGX670

Offline EileenL

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2019, 07:05:33 PM »
Hi Reya,
  My Husband walked down to where the singers were and said it was crystal clear.

Online reya

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2019, 10:13:13 AM »
Hi Reya,
  My Husband walked down to where the singers were and said it was crystal clear.

Ok Eileen, thanks for that clarification !

Best regards
Rudy
Genos 1, PSR SX900, Roland PK6, Ketron SD1000
MSI Cubi 5 mini pc with IIyama prolite 24" touchscreen, MobileSheets

Offline Graham UK

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2019, 10:23:19 AM »
You could make cardboard reflectors on the occasion for small gigs.

The inbuilt speakers are there for player monitoring and won't do justice to the keyboards voices.
DGX670

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2019, 11:34:45 AM »
You could make cardboard reflectors on the occasion for small gigs.

The inbuilt speakers ... won't do justice to the keyboards voices.

Why not?

And how would cardboard reflectors "do justice to the keyboard's voices"?

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Pino

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2019, 11:36:21 AM »
The onboard speakers are approx. 30 degrees facing the player, there are no sound grills on the front of the keyboard or underneath, looking at their speaker sound dispersion on their website does not mention nothing to the front, just says sweet spot to the rear, front, left and right.
Pino

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2019, 01:30:12 PM »
I have played a couple times in small retirement venues of about 25 people and only used my S950's speakers. i had my external amp with me but it would have run everyone out of the room had I used it.

If the speakers are as Yamaha claims, then why don't they just make it clear to US that the speakers can cover a room of appropriately X number of square feet? Sounds to me like plain undocumented advertising BULL. :P 

Offline EileenL

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2019, 01:33:37 PM »
For me it is doing the job it says it will. I suggest you try it for yourselves rather than keep saying it can or it can't. Just going round in circles and helping no one.

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2019, 04:15:40 PM »
I have owned dozens of sound systems, none of which claimed to cover X number of square feet. They all, however, provided diagrams of their coverage.

My friend, Graham, is correct in that conventional speakers project sound directly in front of them, usually in a cone area of about 45 degrees. However, it appears as if Yamaha is not using conventional speaker cones, but instead, something entirely different is shape, design and material - similar to the Bose line array system speakers. From the above dispersion diagram, they do appear to have some forward projection, and even a bit of projection to the sides. This would be impossible with conventional speakers and materials.

I guess we'll soon find out when we get more information from users on this and other sites.

Good luck,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline EileenL

« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2019, 01:16:32 AM »
Yes Gary,
  The speakers  now have a specific V shape to do them that allows them to do this and it really works.

Darius

« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2019, 08:01:31 AM »
Hello,
do you know a possibility to have a separate volume adjustment for the integrated speakers and the line-out (or even Sub-out on PSR-SX 900)?
To my opinion this is a prerequisite for using the integrated speakers for monitoring, 
Darius

rcpilot

« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2019, 01:24:21 PM »
According to the manual...the line out (Aux) is NOT controlled by master volume control. So, easy as using that into a mixer or other way...to control the output to external speakers...that way the master volume controls the internal speakers and you use external means to control the volume to external amplified speakers...it is line out in audio terms.
Lee

Darius

« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2019, 09:42:58 PM »
Thanks Lee for this good suggestion!
I confirm after a quick test on my PSR-SX 900 that the sound that comes out of the SUB(AUX) OUTPUT is not influenced by the position of the master volume knob.
On the contrary, the MAIN OUTPUT, the Headphones Output and the Internal Speakers, are controlled by the master volume knob.
Darius

rcpilot

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2020, 01:11:57 AM »
I have tried going in front of my SX while playing a MIDI file, sounds great....and loud...every bit as good as sitting at the board. Remember the sound coming from a speaker does not only come from the FRONT of the speaker...it also comes from the rear, and side....and baffeling can make a huge difference too. I can tell you it works as advertised. It will be fine in a small venue...not a room for 200 people.
Lee

btweengigs

« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2020, 03:19:50 AM »
The "cones" or "diaphrams" of the SX speakers look very different than those on the previous PSR's. I think Eileen is right and will test it on a gig coming up with a small audience.