Author Topic: Genos Touch Screen No Longer Works  (Read 8576 times)

Offline Bob88

Genos Touch Screen No Longer Works
« on: January 11, 2020, 11:06:48 PM »
  Today my Genos  touch screen  stopped responding totally.  I cannot access any function via touch.   Gateway buttons and Assignables are OK.   This occurred without any warning or previous history.
The 2 years of ownership can be  best described as highs and lows   but today my experience is a major disappointment.   I will have to contact Yamaha.   I live in Canada and purchased
my Genos in the U.S. which makes the problem more compicated.  The shipping cost is prohibitive  and I am unable to transport it in person.   I did not purchase it here in Canada because  dealers here  were not  even interested in quoting me a price. 
   I have owned Yamaha products entirely for more than 50 years and NEVER had a major failure such of any kind.   This issue is not operator error.   For $7,000   Canadian  I am extremely upset.    My Genos has never left my home or even the room since  it was purchased.   Any feedback would be welcomed.  Bob

Offline Toril S

Re: Genos Touch Screen No Longer Works
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2020, 12:35:50 AM »
Hello Bob!
You could try a soft reset first to see if it helps. If not, you could try a complete factory reset. BUT KEEP IN MIND THAT THIS WILL DELETE ALL FILES AND SETTINGS. Not so easy to take backup when the screen is not working. You can connect the Genos to your computer and take a backup this way. I don't know how, but others will, or maybe you have done this yourself at some time.
You have my deepest sympathy. I also had a keyboard failure, and it is extremely frustrating! Please let us know how it goes!
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline Bob88

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2020, 01:42:58 AM »
 Thank you Toril.     I did try a soft reset which did not resolve the issue.  Regards, Bob

Online Fred Smith

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2020, 04:46:12 AM »
A factory reset will not delete any files. It will likely change settings, but won’t delete files.

The first thing to try is accessing the User drive from your computer (Power on + Playlist).

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline Bob88

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2020, 04:37:59 PM »
   Thank you Fred.    Connect my Genos to computer and power on  the Genos holding the playlist button?   Is this correct ?  Bob

Offline DerekW

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2020, 05:33:25 PM »
Hi Bob.  You don't say where in Canada you are, but here is the address of Yamaha Music in Toronto.  I had one of my keyboards repaired by them and can say they were extremely helpful

Yamaha Canada Music Ltd.
135 Milner Avenue
Toronto, ON M1S3R1
Tel: 416-298-1311
Toll Free: 1 (855) 300-7811
Hours: Monday to Friday 8:30am – 5:00pm ET except statutory holidays

Hope this helps you

Derek

Offline overover

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2020, 05:51:29 PM »
  Today my Genos  touch screen  stopped responding totally.  I cannot access any function via touch.   Gateway buttons and Assignables are OK.   This occurred without any warning or previous history. ...

Hi Bob,

first, please be sure to have unplugged all cables (except the Power cord ;)) from the Genos.

What happens when you switch OFF your Genos (or unplug the Power cord from the socket) and then switch ON the Genos again? Do you have always the same result then? (Genos is "normally" booting until the Main screen is displayed, BUT there is no Touch screen function?)

I recommend to do a FULL Factory Reset  (called "Factory Setup" in Yamaha jargon). Note: Also all User Drive data will be deleted then! Therefore you should backup the User Drive data before (in USB Storage Mode).

According to Yamaha, the key combination for executing the "Factory Setup" should NOT be posted publicly on the Internet. But you are welcome to PM me for details. :)

Best regards,
Chris

« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 05:59:15 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline Toril S

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2020, 06:04:05 PM »
Yamaha top secret code? THAT was new to me! But I can understand why they don't want users to engage this factory reset randomly! 
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 11:27:28 PM by Toril S »
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline Bob88

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2020, 11:14:41 PM »
  Thank you Derek.   I am on the east coast.  I did email Yamaha and I am waiting for a reply.
They were very helpful when I  owned a Tyros 5.  Regards, Bob

Offline Bob88

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2020, 11:58:43 PM »
  Chris:   Unpluging all the  cables except the power cord  results in the same problem.  Main screen opens but the touch function does not respond.  Bob

Offline frankmusik

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2020, 08:20:23 AM »
Hi Bob,
I had 2 times same thing when adding the protector film wrong on the Genos display.
On the left side of the touch panel there is the sensor, if something is THERE no function of the touch!!

1. Do you use a display protect film?
2. Did you modify something on your room so dust, mini paper (1mm!) or whatever could have fallen on the sides ?

If so:
check film
use vacuum cleaner

thanks for checking
greetings from Germany
frank
Genos and Tyros /PSR Support in Germany - Europe with more than
280 keyboardscouts helping in D-AT-CH-NL at your home!
Monday 18:30 (6:30 pm german time) Live tips on youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBxOTmwqvDGu5QavFWeaQfQ

Offline Bob88

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2020, 02:24:48 PM »
 Frank:    Thank you for your reply.   No I have not used protective film or made any changes to the room or that area.  Regards, Bob

Offline Gunnar Jonny

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2020, 04:01:39 PM »
I'm just thinking loud here....  🙄

I have to read manual and refguide, but something come into my mind.
Is there any function to lock, or set display deactive to prevent other people press any 'buttons' while we're not at the keyboard?
As we know, for a reason or another, there is made a 'hidden port' for an USB stick, and I maybe remember it wrong, but I think I've heard something about such possabilites. Not sure if it was related to Genos ... 🤔
Cheers 🥂
GJ

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2020, 04:41:26 PM »
You can lock the keyboard when you are away and it requires a PIN to get it to turn on again. If you forget your PIN, you can power it down and start it back up again.

I don't think this is Bob's problem. It is explained on page 41 of the owners manual.

Bob, keep us posted on what Yamaha says.

Thanks,
Rick D.

The following users thanked this post: Gunnar Jonny

Offline Bob88

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2020, 07:27:17 PM »
  Thanks Rick.  Bob

Offline Bob88

« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2020, 02:16:22 PM »
  Finally the touch screen issue on my Genos has been  resolved.  Reinstalling firmware version
2.01  has rectified the problem.  Hopefully this is a permanent fix.  A factory reset  was completed
after the  update and Yamaha suggests doing so after each firmware addition.   Thanks to all who
offered assistance.  Bob

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2020, 02:49:29 PM »
Thanks, for letting us know how it was resolved Bob.

Now get back to enjoying your Genos!  ;D

Rick D.

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2020, 08:12:02 PM »
  Finally the touch screen issue on my Genos has been  resolved.  Reinstalling firmware version
2.01  has rectified the problem.  Hopefully this is a permanent fix.  A factory reset  was completed
after the  update and Yamaha suggests doing so after each firmware addition.   Thanks to all who
offered assistance.  Bob

Glad to hear that your problem has been resolved.

Factory reset after each firmware upgrade . . .  ? As long as you are aware that it will most likely erase your user settings . . . . the way i understand factory reset is that the keyboard will be reset to same state when purchased new . . . 

Thanks
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline Bob88

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2020, 11:43:30 PM »
Thank you Rick and Al.   I am aware what the factory reset does.  I have created  backup data
prior to the touch sceen failure. Bob

horng

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2020, 07:38:06 AM »
Dear All:
I searched from Google,whether someone happen same problem with Bob in the world..
but finally only "2"..

Fortunately, my Genos touch screen also doesn't work today,.
Actually, I updated my Genos to Ver.2.01 in Jan.
So, I think if you update to the latest Ver(2.01),
Maybe Touch screen failure still happen...
I'm not often to play my Genos(2 hours once week), I think this is one of the reasons for the failure...
Can someone tell me , how to Factory reset "without touchscreen" in Genos?

Offline Stijn

« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2020, 09:15:02 AM »
Genos Reset:

For the reset (you lose all user data, hence a backup is useful): keep a Cis-Dur chord pressed (Cis, F and Gis) when switching on, in the 2nd octave from the left.

When the word "Test" appears on the Display, you can release.

Now press 2x the [Tempo -] button (Factory Set) and then 2x the [Start / Stop] button.

Now press the [Tempo +] button (Test Exit) 1x and then [Start / Stop] again.
Wait until the Genos has completely booted.

Method 2

1) While pressing the buttons REGISTRATION MEMORY [1], REGISTRATION MEMORY [3] and REGISTRATION MEMORY [5] simultaneously, turn on the [ ] (Standby/On) switch.

2) When Test mode started successfully, “TEST” is shown on the LCD.

Stijn
I'm not talented ... but I practice a lot.
please visit  https://www.youtube.com/@StijnBettens/videos

The following users thanked this post: wersianer

horng

« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2020, 12:43:47 AM »
Thanks Stijn

I will try it  today.
Best  regards,

Horng