Author Topic: Digital Piano Suggestions  (Read 4120 times)

Offline Normanfernandez

Digital Piano Suggestions
« on: January 10, 2020, 03:37:49 PM »
I'm looking for a good Weighted keys Digital Piano
It doesn't have to be from Yamaha.

Norman.
Norman Fernandez Keyboardplayer
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCngm8h5k5NmKnowJpkxlDBQ

PSR S770 - Roland FP 30 - PSR 280
Cubase - Kontakt6

Offline Rick D.

Re: Digital Piano Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2020, 04:36:17 PM »
Hi Norman,

Check out the Avant Grand by Yamaha. I own a Model N2, and it is by far the best digital piano I have ever heard. Not sure of your budget, they are a bit pricey.
https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical_instruments/pianos/avantgrand/n2/index.html

Rick D.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 04:40:16 PM by Rick D. »

Offline Normanfernandez

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2020, 05:01:26 PM »
Way out of my budget,

Looks good though.

I was getting a free Upright Piano
But the condition wasn't good enough to Repair.

So my only option is Digital Piano Weighted Keys.

I don't mind if the Piano has bad Sound.
I could connect it to my keyboard / PC and use Sample Libraries.

I mainly want the Feeling of the keys to be as close as possible to a real Piano.

Cubase - Kontakt6

Wouter1972

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2020, 05:13:01 PM »
Yamaha P515 would be my suggestion for you.

real wooden (NWX) keys and synth ivory that’s only available in Yamaha’s Clavinova series. The touch comes close to a grand piano.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 07:19:35 PM by Wouter1972 »

Offline mikf

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2020, 07:06:27 PM »
I mainly want the Feeling of the keys to be as close as possible to a real Piano.
Then maybe a good quality 88 key controller keyboard.
If you want the sound as well, the Yamaha YPG 535, The Casio range, and the Williams all have decent piano's for around 400 bucks. The Alesis is amazing for only about 200 bucks. The Yamaha has a graded key feel that is quite amazing for the money. If you really want a digital with proper graded hammer action, wood feel, keyboard like a quality grand, the cost would go way up. In fact it often drives the cost more than the sound quality.  But for everyone except the very best players, most of the above are OK.
Mike

Offline Normanfernandez

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2020, 06:31:21 AM »
I did a research

Hammer Action is very close to The real Piano.

Cubase - Kontakt6

Offline Normanfernandez

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2020, 02:57:51 AM »
I'm still confused.

What about Roland FP30?

Cubase - Kontakt6

Wouter1972

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2020, 01:37:28 PM »
What are you confused about?

The following users thanked this post: Colin D

Offline mikf

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2020, 02:56:26 PM »
Many of the digital pianos in this price range including the Roland FP30 are very good both feel and sound. Your f8nal choice will be personal preference. If you want the exact feel of an excellent grand piano  - no5 just nicely weighted - but graded hammer action, wooden keys, simulated ivory, you will pay more. Only you can decide if you have to have that.
Mike

Offline Normanfernandez

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2020, 06:06:30 PM »
I don't want to a bad choice and regret later.

Priority - Keys

Sound Not so much

External Connections ( Line Out, Midi in and out for Connections to the PSR Keyboard.  )

USB to Host. 

Cubase - Kontakt6

Offline mikf

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2020, 08:02:43 PM »
I don't want to a bad choice and regret later.
Priority - Keys
Sound Not so much 
It never works that way round. You will not save money by compromising sound while prioritizing action. The absolute top quality actions are always, always, always, fitted to digital pianos with top quality sound, and at the top of the price range. So you can find a digital with excellent sound and ok or maybe poor action, but you will never find a digital with the very best action and poor or just ok sound. Digital piano companies don't ever market that way round. And for good reason, because only a very discerning player appreciates the nuances of the best action, but everyone can hear poor sound.
You will find the majority of decent digitals have decent weighted key, and sometimes even graded keyboard action and I don't think it should be an issue for you. If you live in or near a decent sized city, you should be able to go to a piano store and try a few. And unlike the general large music stores like The Guitar Centers, sales assistants in piano stores are usually knowledgeable and genuinely helpful. And prices are always competitive with the internet - they unfortunately just have to be to survive. A little unfair considering the store provides real help and opportunity to compare, but that is the real world today.
I recently bought an excellent Yamaha digital with full piano consul, and a good looking piece of furniture, for my grandchildren for around 1000 dollars. The action quality is similar to the portables available around 400- 600 dollars, and perfectly acceptable. Is it as good as my Shigeru Grand that cosy about 80,000, of course not.  That qualityof key action is actually available in a digital, and for much less than 80,000, but still way outside your budget. But its a lot better than the old uprights I and most others learned on, or played as a pro for many years.   
Mike