Author Topic: what is the difference between 'styles' and 'database'  (Read 4143 times)

Offline anon125

what is the difference between 'styles' and 'database'
« on: January 10, 2020, 12:59:04 AM »
they look the same to me!
thanks all

Offline mikf

Re: what is the difference between 'styles' and 'database'
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2020, 01:15:58 AM »
I don’t think I understand your question. A database is a place where data is stored! You must know what a style is since you have an arranger keyboard.
Mike

Offline anon125

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2020, 02:48:54 AM »
check out the hand book for the pser e313, etc but not the 463 and above.
you will see a database function that sets the rhythm etc
thanks

Offline Ed B

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2020, 03:19:12 AM »
Hi
What they are referring to in the term" music database" is a list of the songs that fit a certain "style". A "style" is an auto accompaniment that you play with your left hand using chords while you play the melody with your right hand. The style consists of various instruments, rhythm, bass, chord parts etc. and is suitable for a specific song or several songs.
You may wish to looj at some of our tutorials which will help to give you the concepts although they do not cover this keyboard specifically.
Hope this helps.
Ed B
Keep on learning

Offline anon125

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2020, 03:59:43 AM »
Thanks Ed
how is that different from Styles?
thanks

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2020, 04:30:22 AM »
The Music Database contains entries that select a given style and variation (A or B), set a tempo, and select a voice which are supposed to be good for playing a particular song. The entries don't actually contain any style or song data per se; they just set up the keyboard in a manner that's similar to the way Registrations work. So you could say that they're like preset Registration memories. The PSR-E models don't allow you to add new Music Database entries, but on the PSR-S models you can create new entries in their version of this feature, which they call the Music Finder.

Offline anon125

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2020, 06:44:58 PM »
thanks
Music Finder is just another name for database?

Offline panos

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2020, 07:39:35 PM »
Hi Anon,
Music Database(on E series) or Music Finder(on S series and Tyros) or Playlist (on Genos/Psr sx) are a list with suggested styles to play specific popular songs.
But this list have the advantage of calling up the style and voices that suggests when you choose a song from that list.
It is not like just a recommendation on the screen.

So practically is the same.
Suggestions is a good thing I suppose.  :)

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2020, 08:04:38 PM »
I think the answer is "Mostly yes, but somewhat no"-- or maybe "Mostly no, but somewhat yes."

I should point out that I've never owned or operated a keyboard that has the Music Finder feature, so I'm going by secondhand information, or what I've heard about it.

One way to look at it is that Music Finder is a souped-up version of Music Database-- Music Database on steroids, as it were. Music Finder is arguably much more powerful and flexible than Music Database, because you can create your own entries, or modify the existing entries-- and I believe the entries contain more parameters than Music Database entries do, because the keyboards that have the Music Finder feature have more adjustable parameters than do the keyboards that have the Music Database feature.

The other way to look at it is that Music Database is a simplified version of Music Finder-- Music Finder for kiddies, as it were. That might sound like an unkind way to characterize it, because kids are not the only people who use the keyboards that have the Music Database feature on them; adults do, too! I should know, because I own a number of such keyboards, and I'm definitely an adult. But let's face it-- the keyboards that have the Music Database feature are mainly marketed toward children and young adults, whereas the keyboards that have the Music Finder feature are mainly marketed toward adults. It's not that adults can't enjoy them, too; it's more a question of price, number of features, and the complexity of those features.

Offline anon125

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2020, 08:40:52 PM »
Thanks again.
Replacing the tinny e313 without hearing  the replacement has its problems?

Do the psr xs have better voices?
Thanks

Offline Ed B

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2020, 02:36:49 AM »
Hi
Yes and they have more styles as well.
Regards
Ed B
Keep on learning

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2020, 04:15:29 AM »
Hi
Yes and they have more styles as well.
Regards
Ed B

And they can also play more variations per style:

PSR-E -- 2 intros (A and B), 2 mains (A and B), 2 fills (A->B and B->A), and 2 endings (A and B)
PSR-S -- 3 intros (I, II, III), 4 mains (A, B, C, D), 4 fills (A, B, C, D), 1 break, and 3 endings (I, II, III)

That goes for PSR-SX, Tyros, and Genos as well. And Jorgen Sorensen has a utility that lets you play a fourth intro and fourth ending.

Offline anon125

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2020, 06:15:32 PM »
a store says i can rent a psr e363 to see what it sounds like. (or a 463 if i order it in  but not a 410

thanks everyone for all your help on these posts