Author Topic: Editing registration question  (Read 5854 times)

Offline beakybird

Editing registration question
« on: January 06, 2020, 04:13:04 AM »
So I created a registration that has great RH voices for country music named Country Voices. Then I have a registration whose button #1 calls up a country style, lyrics, mic settings, etc. Let's call it Country Roads. How do I get the two together without having to name the style again on the keyboard's touchscreen? Lets say that I want to do this with many of my country music registrations that are named for the song that button #1 calls up. Do I have to rename every single one on the keyboard's touchscreen? This wasn't the case with the S970 and previous PSR's, but I don't see a workaround.

I downloaded Yamaha Registration Manager to my PC, but I don't understand how to use it.

Offline DerekA

Re: Editing registration question
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2020, 10:41:54 AM »
Not sure I really follow your question.

Although the actual steps differ a little due to the updated controls, setting up and using registrations works in the same way on SX as on previous models.

Can you say what you did on the 970 that you can't do now?
Genos

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2020, 12:28:28 PM »
I too am interested in an answer to this great question. 
GENOS, SX900, Clavinova CVP 307, Korg Pa4x.........

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

Offline panos

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2020, 01:07:11 PM »
I think that beykibird wants to use new RH voices(that he saved on a registration with just voices) on his registrations with songs(styles-lyrics-rest of the settings for each song).

I don't think you can combine two different registrations on the keyboard.

I think one way is to save your voices on each registration's style's OTS first.

So, let's say you have the "Country Road" reg with some voices you want to change.

First you call up the voices registration and choose the reg 1 combination of voices.
Then you go to the style "Country Road" and save these voices to OTS 1.
Now you call up the registration with "Country Roads" and hit reg 1 button which contains the old voices that you wish to change.
Then you hit the OTS 1 button which contains the new voices.
Now you can save the registration and every other setting(except from the RH/LH voices) will be the same as before.

I didn't have to change a lot of registrations so I don't know how the Registration Manager works but Murray says it has an option to do it easier on the pc:

"Copying style and voice settings from existing banks"

https://psrtutorial.com/util/best.html
« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 01:13:16 PM by panos »

Pino

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2020, 02:16:24 PM »
Open registration 1
Press Reg Number 1 to 8 button (whichever button the voices/style/settings you want to save)
Do not touch the keyboard settings at this stage.
Open registration 2
Press ‘memory’ button and a Reg button to save the voice and setting to  registration 2, - save the registration.
Now you should have the 2 registrations on one, Plus, you can add more.

I normally load 8 song registration to one registration in this way.
Could be 8 Country songs. I am an OTS player.

Pino

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2020, 02:18:38 PM »
1. Ensure Country Roads does not have Voice group memorized.
2. Load Country Voices registration button.
3. Load Country Roads registration button.
4. Save

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline beakybird

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2020, 08:25:57 PM »
The system that exists absolutely sucks.

I have one old registration. Button 1 calls up style, tempo, transpose, mic settings, etc. Banks 2-8 call up RH voices from my S970 and older keyboards.
So I create a new registration with killer voices for buttons 2-8.
On the S970 and before, I could 1) Call up the old registration and press button #1 calling up the style and everything else, 2) Select the new registration with just voices, 3) Press MEMORY>button #1 to save all of the important stuff, 4) In the save process, I could select the old registration that had the song name and overwrite it. This is not possible with the SX900. You have to rewrite the song name and then overwrite the other file.

The only other possible way to do this would be with the registration manager program, but I don't know how to use it.

I want to do this process with multiple registrations whose buttons 2-8 call up old voices. I would have to rewrite the names of hundreds of songs using the keyboard typewriter - something unnecessary with previous PSRs. What a MAJOR pain in the ***!!!

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2020, 09:20:23 PM »
The system that exists absolutely sucks.

On the S970 and before, I could 1) Call up the old registration and press button #1 calling up the style and everything else, 2) Select the new registration with just voices, 3) Press MEMORY>button #1 to save all of the important stuff, 4) In the save process, I could select the old registration that had the song name and overwrite it. This is not possible with the SX900. You have to rewrite the song name and then overwrite the other file.

I want to do this process with multiple registrations whose buttons 2-8 call up old voices. I would have to rewrite the names of hundreds of songs using the keyboard typewriter - something unnecessary with previous PSRs. What a MAJOR pain in the ***!!!

Yes I found out pretty quickly after getting Genos that you had to type the names  and could not quickly select an existing name from previous files as was possible before.
And finding out that to save a reg. bank requires up 6x miscellaneous screen touches was further icing on the cake  :o ::)

John
« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 09:21:27 PM by jwyvern »

Offline LaHawk

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2020, 10:55:12 PM »
This appears to be a flaw in the new Yamaha arranger touchscreen OS

One should be able to program a registration, and then, if desired, easily save and over write an older registration with no typing involved.

Agree Larry, Too many steps involved in current OS set up

Larry   PSR-SX900
 My You Tube Recordings

Offline DerekA

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2020, 11:57:41 PM »
Ah. So you have no problem creating the combined registration bank that you want in the 'in memory' buffer, it's when you want to save this new bank that you have a problem because you can't select an existing name to overwrite - you have to re-enter the name, then it overwrites the previous file.

I think you're stuck with the way it works, for now at least. :(

My best suggestion (and it's still a rotten one) is to use a PC to create multiple copies of the registration file that contains your super voices in slots 2-8 with the correct song names, in a different folder. You still have to type the names, but at least it's using a proper keyboard. Then back on the SX, go through them all and replace the style setup in slot 1 one at a time from the orginal song registration bank in the original folder. When you go to save each bank, it will at least have the song name there already.
Genos

The following users thanked this post: LaHawk

blackpool

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2020, 12:06:38 AM »
Yes..agree, why is overwriting not made easier.. with korg ek . you simply hold memory and press the reg button, it flashes and you're done ..
Ironically I was just saying on the korg forum ...if the two companies could pool their ideas we would be sorted.
Keith

The following users thanked this post: LaHawk

Offline LaHawk

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2020, 12:35:27 AM »
Yes, or a  "SAVE AS" option would be nice
Larry   PSR-SX900
 My You Tube Recordings

Offline Joe H

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2020, 12:41:47 AM »
beakybird,

If I understand your question correctly, you want to be able to select OTS Voices from registration buttons without the style changing.

Here's how to do that. 

1. Create your Voice registration bank memorizing each button with the same style located on the USB drive

2. After you have created a complete registration bank... delete the style from your USB drive.

3. Then when you load a style that you want to play, you will be able to select the memorized Voices from the Voice registration bank you created and the style will NOT change. 

NOTE: The reason for this is because you deleted the style that was on the USB drive... so when you select a registration the style will NOT change because the keyboard will not find it, and will keep the current style you currently have selected.

Joe H
« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 12:42:57 AM by Joe H »
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline beakybird

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2020, 01:11:17 AM »
No Joe, that's not what I was discussing. Basically, you can't save a registration and then select the name of another registration file and overwrite it. You have to type the name on the keyboard touchscreen and then overwrite the existing file.

Offline beakybird

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2020, 03:29:33 AM »
So it boils down to this: If I edit a registration, and I want to name it the same name as an existing registration - let's say it's called, Blowing In The Wind, I can't select the Blowing In The Wind registration in the save process and overwrite it. I have to input all the characters on the SX900's touchscreen and then be asked if I want to replace the existing file. It's extremely inconvenient. Just horribly thought out.

Pino

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2020, 04:57:09 AM »
If I was to edit ‘Blowing in the wind’ and save it,
I would go to
File/save/save here/Blowing in the wind 2/ok
Job done,  it took 5 seconds to save the Reg.
I can’t think of any instance that I would want to call ‘Blowing in the wind’ with any other name other than ‘Blowing in the wind’
Yes, I may edit it a few times but that would be saved with an ending 2 or 3, that way I have my original and my edited Reg and can pick the best.

Pino
« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 05:03:33 AM by Pino »

Offline beakybird

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2020, 05:51:21 AM »
If I was to edit ‘Blowing in the wind’ and save it,
I would go to
File/save/save here/Blowing in the wind 2/ok
Job done,  it took 5 seconds to save the Reg.
I can’t think of any instance that I would want to call ‘Blowing in the wind’ with any other name other than ‘Blowing in the wind’
Yes, I may edit it a few times but that would be saved with an ending 2 or 3, that way I have my original and my edited Reg and can pick the best.

Pino

If you wanted to change 7 of the 8 registration button settings all of which are on another file, you would.
The gist is that people expect the ability to save and to save as. With the SX900, you have to go through 5 steps to overwrite a file, and if you want to save one file in the name of another file to overwrite it, you have to type the file name on the touchscreen.
Fortunately, I found a way to do what I want with a registration editing program at Jorge Sorensen's website. Yamaha Registration Manager.

Pino

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2020, 06:21:27 AM »
I still have the 975, I know it was easier, but not the end of the world
There are ‘workarounds’
Unfortunately, this will probably be sorted out on the SX950,
Of which I will not purchase.
It takes so much time to set-up a new keyboard to stage ready,
I am happy with the Sx900 for now, it’s 90% ok 👍

Pino

Offline beakybird

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2020, 04:59:45 PM »
Now I'm having a problem with the Registration manager program. It's losing the path to the style after I convert and save the registration - even internal styles. It shows the style name in the description. I used Tyros 5 as my target keyboard as there is no update for the SX900, and I saved a registration with BlueberryBlues as the style, and the software shows that style in the registration description, but when I load it into my keyboard - nada.

Offline Bill

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2020, 07:12:23 PM »
Murray's registration Manager DOES include the Sx900. Make sure you have the latest version.

See Link Below

http://bit.ly/YRMSpecial

Regards

Bill
England

Current KB:  YAMAHA GENOS 2

Offline beakybird

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2020, 02:22:39 AM »
Murray's registration Manager DOES include the Sx900. Make sure you have the latest version.

See Link Below

http://bit.ly/YRMSpecial

Regards

Bill

Thanks. That finally solves my problem. Yamaha should have a program like this on their keyboards, just like Style Creator. Anyway, this is a great program. There's a lot you can do with it.

Jorge Sorensen should put this update on his website. That's where I downloaded the 2018 version. Thanks!

Offline Joe H

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2020, 02:44:45 AM »
beakybird,

Murray explained that this is just a patch (not the full program) to use with the current version of Yamaha Registration Manager.  He says the registration file for the Genos and sx series is very different from previous models.  He will be working on releasing a new version in the future.  This patch is just a fix for the current version.

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline murrayb

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2020, 12:04:44 PM »
This is the full program!  The reason I called it a patch is 5.1.1 download is an installer that creates the directory and short cut, while 5.1 Special is the actual program to replace the one previously installed.

The details were in the Readme file.
One can do without most things, but not without the pleasure of music.

Check out my Registration Manager at:  http://psrtutorial.com/util/best.html

rcpilot

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2020, 06:16:15 PM »
Thanks for the program update...Murray!
Lee