Author Topic: Malfunctioning styles editing  (Read 3694 times)

Malfunctioning styles editing
« on: May 13, 2020, 12:55:20 PM »
Dear friends,

I'm presently having major problems with my Clavinova CVP 309 (software equivalent to PSR 3000 or Tyros 2, SFF1 format), that I’ve not been able to find on the forums.

The problems did not occurred till a few months ago, end became consistent now.

A.    In Style Creator (within the keyboard; not with external software), I change volume of various tracks (Mixing Console), or eliminate a track in one of the variations (Delete) , or replace some drum instrument or change volume of a single drum instrument (Step record)…..BUT: the actual volume of the Drum Track (only) becomes very, very low (almost to nothing), even though the drum track volume in mixing console stays the same.
As you may appreciate this is very frustrating, since I cannot modify styles anymore. Also because a lot in modifying styles, taking advantage of the 2 Usb (pen drives) ports, that makes very convenient to store saved data.

B.    In Style Creator, when I go trough the saving procedure, at the end (after having completed the full procedure) a message appear saying that the changes were not saved…..

Since I did not have these problems for years, something could have happened to the software (I hope…). Please note that all the rest works fine, and also that styles modified before this problem occurred work perfect.

I had the idea that may be something in the firmware was corrupted. And may be the problem could solve by reloading the last available firmware (1.8, the one presently in use). But I did not attempt to do this, because I scare to make even worst problems.

I would be so grateful to you if you could tell me your impressions on it.

In any case, thank you for your attention.

Angelo, Roma,Italy
Yamaha Genos, Clavinova Cvp309PE, Hs-8, Hammond Xm2.
Past: Farfisa Minicompact, CompactDeLuxe; Elkarapsody; Hammond L122R&Leslie142; CasioCz1000; Roland D50, E20, ProE, Juno106, JX8P, Ra90; Technics Kn800, 1000, 2000; Korg M1, i3, i30, Pa1x, Pa3x; others.

Offline DerekA

Re: Malfunctioning styles editing
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2020, 01:18:11 PM »
You mention USB. Have you tried a new USB stick in case something's gone wrong with the one you have?

Possibly hardware fault on the USB connection?

I would doubt that the firmware itself could have become corrupted, but who knows!
Genos

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2020, 05:26:38 PM »
Dear Derek,

thank you for your answer.

I don't think the problem has to do with USB pendrives (I experienced the same problem with styles saved on both the pendrives), since the same problem occurs within the keyboard, BEFORE I save modification on the pendrive and ALSO when I try to modify a factory style wich is on board.  :-[
Past: Farfisa Minicompact, CompactDeLuxe; Elkarapsody; Hammond L122R&Leslie142; CasioCz1000; Roland D50, E20, ProE, Juno106, JX8P, Ra90; Technics Kn800, 1000, 2000; Korg M1, i3, i30, Pa1x, Pa3x; others.

Nocturne64

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2020, 08:31:21 PM »
I would try a complete factory reset. In most Yamaha instruments (I do not know in yours), this operation can be performed pressing C7 key while powering up the piano.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2020, 09:22:03 PM »
Remember to save all your work before a complete factory reset.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2020, 09:44:24 PM »
Dear Nocturne,

I went trough complete factory resetting (pressing the most right key, C7, while turning on power) as you suggested....... MIRACLE!!!!!!!! The problem completely DISAPPEARED!!!!!!!

I have no words to thank you.

Whenever it would come back, I know now what to do. Mysteries of Information Technology....

Dear Toril, of course I had all my data saved (on 2 pendrives always connected to the 2 available Usb ports). But thank you for your important advise.

This Forum is a big resource  :D :D :D

Offline Toril S

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2020, 10:55:12 PM »
I am very happy that this solved your problem!😀
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Nocturne64

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2020, 09:11:07 AM »
Really happy that you solved your problem! But it is not a miracle, it is electronic. Very nice toys, but sometimes very bad and annoying issues.

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2020, 01:53:56 PM »
Sorry to say, today the problem came back, just the same as described in my post starting this item.

In your opinion, reloading firmware (on Yamaha website is available an upgrade file is to 1.8 firmware) could go deeper than factory reset? Or could carry risky results?
Another think I'm not sure about: the Yamaha Upgrading file (to 1.8, latest version) contains the FULL firmware; or just what is new or different comparing to previous firmware versions?

Thank you....

Nocturne64

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2020, 07:58:38 PM »
Well, I think that reuploading the existing firmware is a non-sense. All firmware are complete file (any sort of update), but if you had just installed this one on your piano, simply do not upload it again. Anyway, how the issue reappeared? After complete reset, did you upload any additional data in your instrument? If so, possibly you uploaded some corrupted file/style/song or something else, and when it was uploaded it generated this bad issue again. If the problem will be solved again afer a new factory reset, try to use the instrument for some days WITHOUT uploading nothing. If it works, try to upload slowly your backup files checking every time what happens. Hope this helps.

Offline Kenneve

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2020, 09:01:31 PM »
As Nocturne64 says. all firmware updates are a full package, and include all the changes made from the previous version.
I am firm believer in running with the latest version, whether it be for Piano, PC, TV or Washing machine!
My CVP805 was updated by my dealer, just prior to delivery and my Sony TV, delivered only 2 days ago has already updated itself.

However, I agree with Nocturne64's approach, reload the latest firmware and nothing else, for a few days and see how you go.

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2020, 10:02:08 PM »
Dear Nocturne and Kenneve,

appreciated your indications.

I understand that you suppose that one or some of the hundreds of styles I saved on my pendrives could be corrupted, and would badly affect the set up when loaded.

I'll try then what you suggested: do again a factory reset; load one style at a time; check that everything works fine; if not: that would be a suspicious style not to be used anymore. And continue so.

The fact being that I download from PsrTutorial hundreds of styles, selected the ones that could fit my taste, and then tuned a lot eachone. So it can easy be that some of these styles, possibly containing bugs, bring wrong commands to the CVP....

Thank you for your time and kindness,

Angelo

Offline Kenneve

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2020, 10:47:12 PM »
I would recommend running without any USB drives for the moment.
Just use the standard on board styles until you are sure that the problem has not returned.

I have to say I have downloaded hundreds, perhaps thousands of styles over the years, from this forum and have never had a problem,  however one never knows!!

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2020, 02:24:38 PM »
I must APOLOGYZE for having posted for a problem that I was the only responsible for!

I enquired Renato, an Italian very expert about arrangers, who recommended to check carefully if there was any factor that could influence Midi Channel 11 (Expression).

Only at that point I realized that while modifiyng a Style, I would random keep my right foot on the expression pedal that I use to control Hammond organ voices and pads. When the pedal was'nt at the maximum level, that would affect the volume of the RHY2 (drums) track......

Now I'm very carefull to leave the expression pedal at its maximum position, and the problem completely disappeared.

Sometimes we don't realize that the solution can be just in our behaviour!!!!

Thank you all, anyway, for the kind contribution you tried to provide. Of course I appreciate that nobody could expect such a silly conduct om my side... :D :D :D

Angelo