Author Topic: PSR SX900, AcousticRock style, static noise?  (Read 2226 times)

Bhumpe

PSR SX900, AcousticRock style, static noise?
« on: January 04, 2020, 09:10:48 PM »
Hi.
I've noticed something strange with this particular style,The AcousticRock.
When this style is played, there is a slight “static noise” within this drumbeat.
I have not notice this within any other style.

It sounds like listening to a poor vinyl recording, but only when the drums are active.

Is this normal for this style?

Offline tyrosaurus

Re: PSR SX900, AcousticRock style, static noise?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2020, 09:57:06 PM »
This style uses the Dance Kit voice on the Rhythm1 part.

The 'static' noise is because the pattern in several variations includes MIDI note #26 (D0 in Yamaha octaves (keyboard note D1)) which Yamaha describe as 'Vinyl Noise'.

If it annoys you as much as it does me, you can (and I always do!) delete this note if included in the pattern of any style using a drum kit containing this stupid waste of sample ROM.  You can easily do this for all style variations together, using the 'Delete Drum Instrument' on the 'Rec Channel' page of 'Style creator'.  Then save the modified style as a user style.

In this particular style there is another 'noise' used from the same kit that I also can't stand.  This is the 'Scratch Dance 2' noise at MIDI note #18, (F#-1, keyboard note F#0) which I also always delete if used!

Regards

Ian

Bhumpe

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2020, 09:58:53 AM »
Ian,
Thanks for the explanation and the tutorial on how to get rid of the noise.

I will have a look and follow your instructions to get rid of the vinyl noise.

2 reflections.
-1 it’s good that nothings wrong.
-2. Why? Yamaha, why?

Regards
Patrik

Offline DerekA

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2020, 10:58:40 AM »
I like this sound, it's supposed to sound like an old record playing. Reminds me of music before cd quality 🌝
Genos

Offline Graham UK

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2020, 04:02:49 PM »
tyrosaurus. (Your Quote) You can easily do this for all style variations together, using the 'Delete Drum Instrument' on the 'Rec Channel' page of 'Style creator'.

Can this be explained HOW TO further please.
DGX670

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2020, 06:09:30 PM »
You use the built in function within the Record window of Style Creator.

On Tyros and PSR-S models this is via the button marked 'RHY CLEAR' on the RECORD window if the RHY1 or RHY2 parts are selected as the REC CHANNEL.

On Genos and the PSR-SX models the function is activated via the 'button' marked 'Clear Drum Inst' on the Rec Channel page. I see that in my original post I referred to this as 'Delete Drum Inst', but it is actually 'Clear Drum Inst'  :-[

On Genos and the SX models pressing this button opens a message pop up and as long as this is open, if you press a note on the keyboard, the sound assigned to that note will be deleted from that variation of the style.

On Tyros and PSR-S models, you have to hold down the button on the RECORD window associated with 'RHY CLEAR' and press a keyboard note to delete the sound.

After reading my post again, I see that it looks as if I am saying that doing the above will act on all style sections at the same time. This is not the case and not really what I meant.  Although it clears all instances of the note/s pressed, it only does this for the style section currently selected and the part armed as the Rec Channel. To clear sounds in a different section you need to select/arm the new section as the Rec Channel.

To identify the note associated with a specific sound, you can use the Drum Map tables in the relevant Data Manual, or you can simply open the Step Edit page in Style Creator (EDIT on Tyros & PSR-S) and step down through the event list until you hear the offending sound.  Bear in mind that the notes displayed in the event list are actually triggered from the keyboard by the key that is one octave higher than the note shown (assuming that the Upper Octave is currently set to 0)!

In fact you can delete the note from the Step Edit (EDIT) event list if you prefer, but you will then also have to check the rest of the events in the list to see if there are any more instances of the note.

In some recent models, there is a 'Drum Setup' function within Style Creator which allows you to adjust certain parameters for each note in a kit including the note Volume setting.  This setup is saved with the style, but doesn't modify the original drum kit voice.  You can also assign a sound from a different preset kit to a note in the kit used by that style.   This could be used as an alternative way of eliminating any sounds that you don't like.  However I don't think this is available on a Tyros5.

Remember to save the style after modifying it in any of the above ways, and of course, the above only applies to MIDI based rhythm parts, not Audio!

Regards

Ian
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 06:13:49 PM by tyrosaurus »