Author Topic: Setting up Genos with 100's of Songs for performance is SLOW  (Read 3966 times)

Offline kbrkr

Setting up Genos with 100's of Songs for performance is SLOW
« on: January 03, 2020, 01:49:39 PM »
It's going to take me a long time to configure the Genos for performance.  It takes a lot of work to setup the Registrations and Playlists when compared to the Korg Pa4x.

I have hundreds of entries in my Korg Songbook. To create an entry you simply load a style, midi, or MP3; press and hold the Songbook function and BOOM its added to the songbook. You can then simply go into songbook with one keypress and press ADD TO SETLIST for the current setlist. Click Write and Boom your done.

On the Genos its lots more button pushes:
Call up the Style, Midi, Mp3, voices, etc.
Press MEMORY and Registration 1
Press on the Registration name in the Home menu
Press MENU, select Registration Edit,
Press SAVE, SAve at location while changing the Name to the SONG you are saving.
Press Playlist
Press ADD TO Playlist
Press SAVE
SAVE the Playlist (so you don't lose it when power off)
Done

Now you tell me which is the better workflow for adding/setting up 100's of new songs?

Also, the Registration function does not allow sorting on Date or any other metadata.

The Korg system is MUCH better; prove me wrong!

Online Fred Smith

Re: Setting up Genos with 100's of Songs for performance is SLOW
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2020, 03:53:10 PM »
Tough to prove you wrong when you’re right. Maybe you should stick with the Korg.

Cheers?
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline Dave Nuttall

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2020, 04:33:47 PM »
What's to say that going from a T5 or Genos wouldn't be equally slow?

I've never seen it written that manufacturers have to supply easy migration paths.....I made a really nice income in the late 90s until I retired in 2004 doing computer system software migrations and if it had been easy, somebody else would have done it quickly.   Likely the same matrix applies between keyboard manufacturers.

So I remain a Yammie bigot, despite the YouTube experts who tout Korg or others as "more-betterer".

Just my $0.02 (USD).
Keep the change.
d.

P.S.  My Genos is two weeks old and now I can't remember why I waited so long to move from the S910!!
Genos, ProTools, Cubase AI10, Win10,  BIAB-2022, Sibelius Ultimate, MixMaster, PRSUTI, StyleMagic, StyleWorks, and Baldwin SF-10 acoustic piano.

Offline billtracy

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2020, 03:24:42 PM »
Korg has the easiest songbook setup. Yamaha registrations are potentially more powerful though since you can have 10 registrations per song if needed.
Current: Korg PA900/JBL 308P/Focusrite Clarett 2Pre/Band in a Box/Reaper/EZdrummer 3. Previously Owned: Yamaha PSR-740/Yamaha PSR-1100/Yamaha PSR-S750.

Offline kbrkr

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2020, 02:36:14 AM »
I agree Bill.  All Yamaha needs to do is streamline the save function instead of having to dig into menus over and over again.

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2020, 05:56:27 PM »

The Korg system is MUCH better; prove me wrong!

I think you are looking at one specific area.  I would like to look at the whole keyboard . . .

Both keyboards Yamaha and Korg are excellent brand names and quality . . . it is not a question of which one is better but which one is more adequate for each user needs.   

In that sense, there is nothing to prove . . . 

If someone thinks Korg is more adequate for his/her needs, should select Korg.  The same otherwise.

Greetings.
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline kbrkr

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2020, 09:00:28 PM »
Al, you are mid-intepreting my motivation.  I spent a lot of money on the Genos, so obviously i'm invested in the product.

With that said, my motivation is "Continuous process improvement".  I don't understand why the consumer must "Settle" for poor workflow just because the manufacturer is too lazy, cheap, or deprioritize to deliver it to the customer.

It so easy to say Like it or leave it as some of you have said, but it's another to stop; think, and improve!  Geesh