Author Topic: This Series Of Keyboard Colors  (Read 2887 times)

avalon2k41

This Series Of Keyboard Colors
« on: January 03, 2020, 05:07:14 AM »
I went to see the PSR-SX700 and PSR-SX900 keyboards. I liked the look of the PSR-SX900 better but noticed they both look cheaper cosmetically than the PSR-S 970 series.

Anyone else think the plastic and buttons on the current PSR-SX series look cheaper as well?

Re: This Series Of Keyboard Colors
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2020, 06:36:29 AM »
Of course that's a matter of taste. I like the current look too, because it's sleek and straightforward. The new rubber keys have the advantage of being very quiet.  But they have the disadvantage that dust sticks to them and they are not easy to clean.

Pino

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2020, 07:10:58 AM »
I have an SX900 and an S975 side by side here, both made of plastic and looking the same,
if anything the SX looks better.
What is the purpose of your post 🤔

If it was made from plate steel and rivets it wouldn’t be a lightweight keyboard 😀

Offline reya

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2020, 09:09:01 AM »
I like the look of both the PSR S970 and PSR SX900.

A drawback of the SX series though, is that black keys on a black keyboard can be difficult to locate when there is not much light.

Best Regards
Rudy
Genos 1, PSR SX900, Roland PK6, Ketron SD1000
MSI Cubi 5 mini pc with IIyama prolite 24" touchscreen, MobileSheets

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2020, 09:21:32 AM »
It is interesting how differently we perceive that.
For me, SX series has MUCH better panel buttons. On PSR-S they are kinda wobbly when pressing. On PSR-SX however, they are firm and pressing them feels much more solid. It's an improvement I noticed immediately when I tried in local store. And that fact alone gave me an impression of more "serious" keyboard.

Now, I can't really say sticks more on new black buttons -despite the fact that dust is just more visible on black surface. But in my experience, dirt that collects over the time by pressing them a lot, is more visible on white ones (bottom row on PSR-S). Anyway, I see dust/dirt as a minor issue here.
New post arose while I write that.. about black keys are less visible in low light. Is true! But there's always "some" light.. right?  ;)

And the obvious question: is it worth to "upgrade" from PSR-S to PSR-SX? It made sense to me (mostly because of touch screen) and I have no doubts about my decision. Is true: I can't really do "more" on PSR-SX than on PSR-S... but many things I can do easier now.
As said, we percive things differently and have different priorities.. so I respect and try to understand everyone's opinion.

Just my 2cents  :)
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

Pino

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2020, 10:39:10 AM »
And the obvious question: is it worth to "upgrade" from PSR-S to PSR-SX?

I have the 910 - 950 - 975 - SX900
I would put it like this
If your into rock or R&B or even Big Band then any from the 910 up is just great.
If your into ballads and need then nice cool vocal voices or need more memory or a more modern keyboard with a newer OS and touch screen then the SX900 will do a better job

Here is one song that I give to my students, the song is simple to play and the style is nicely put together, but, you do need an SX to play it.

Pino

https://app.box.com/s/4hc2j6etgs3d8il6wglj6ywwdwq4x6ie

« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 10:44:22 AM by Pino »

blackpool

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2020, 01:10:57 PM »
The cabinet does not concern me really .... it looks like a 750/950 to me being more 'black' than the 770/970/5 was.

The controls are fine IMHO work WELL and blend in being the same colour.

To be honest it's what it 'does' rather than what it 'looks like' and if you use it in tandem with other black boards, like I do, then its suits me being dark.  Some of the stuff out there by other makers i think looks quite 'Fisher Price' .....so I am glad Yamaha kept things looking traditional and staged with the SX.  I personally dont like the Genos design and am only glad the SX was not based on that.

Well thats my 2p

Offline rgw

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2020, 05:40:15 PM »
I have the 910 - 950 - 975 - SX900
I would put it like this
If your into rock or R&B or even Big Band then any from the 910 up is just great.
If your into ballads and need then nice cool vocal voices or need more memory or a more modern keyboard with a newer OS and touch screen then the SX900 will do a better job

Here is one song that I give to my students, the song is simple to play and the style is nicely put together, but, you do need an SX to play it.

Pino

https://app.box.com/s/4hc2j6etgs3d8il6wglj6ywwdwq4x6ie

Very nice Pino. Which Style did you use?

Richard.

avalon2k41

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2020, 07:56:11 PM »
Yes I agree with what some of the others posted. The black keys can be harder to quickly locate while playing. The dust is also more visible as well. It just has a more "flat" look to it that way, and reminds me of the PSR-E keyboards when they do that.

My post what strictly for cosmetics not what the PSR-SX series does. I am glad they added a touch keypad, although it would be nice if they made rstyle creation and editing to be more like FL Studio or Cakewake, Cubase, etc... But overall I like the added features.

But back on my original topic, cosmetically it looks "flat" and the keys are harder to identify as quickly. It also shows dust easier this way.

Offline Totomo

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2020, 07:11:48 AM »
Nothing to worry about the black soft plastic button and pad. Just like mine, more I touch them now become grey. No problem on dim light view for me.

This is my first reply here.
My previous keyboard arranger are Technic Kn3000 (1997) > Korg Pa700 (2018) > yummy sx900 (nov 2019).

I love everything on sx900 , but I am miss the drum create features/interface on Kn3000. Much easier for me to create/edit /repair /adjust my drum style.