Author Topic: IK Multimedia B-3X, and Genos  (Read 15292 times)

Offline pjd

Re: IK Multimedia B-3X, and Genos
« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2020, 05:43:36 PM »
Is that a feasible prospect ? Is there anyway they could update the current Genos with the new technology or would that be a 'no go' as new hardware would be required ?

Hi Chris --

I usually get this question, but it's on YamahaSynth.com and it's people wondering if virtual analog synthesis can be added to Montage/MODX.  :)  I collected my responses at:

http://sandsoftwaresound.net/musing-about-montage-va/

The situation is similar -- the tonewheels (VA: oscillators) need to be modeled. Short answer: The current tone generation hardware is tailored (optimized) for AWM sample playback and FM-X. The technical question is whether the current tone generation hardware can be re-purposed for modeling. Yamaha have never explicitly written about the actual hardware design, so it's all speculation. I'd like to be surprised, but I'm skeptical.

Marketing-wise, Yamaha probably aren't motivated to add YC61 technology to other product lines (e.g., arrangers) in the near term. Why kill YC61 sales? They need to make back the non-recurring engineering costs and putting the same tech into an arranger would reduce the perceived "special-ness" of the YC61. Promotionally, they will make an excuse like, "Yamaha wants to provide a complete stage organ experience", yada-yada. So, I'm pessimistic, too.  ;)

The rotary speaker sim is probably the piece that could be most easily ported.

Hope this helps -- pj

P.S. I wrote a thought piece on early AWM and FM hardware which likely evolved into the current implementation:

http://sandsoftwaresound.net/early-wave-table-and-fm-synthesis/

Chelsea 4023

« Reply #51 on: February 01, 2020, 01:02:12 PM »
Hi KeyboardByBiggs,

The fact that the Genos flutes improve extensively through an external rotary is an encouraging fact. For me, maybe the addition of a vent would suffice. I'll check with Korg to see what the implications are of adding something like that to improve the general flute sounds.
Thank you for the advice.

Chris

The following users thanked this post: KeyboardByBiggs

Togge

« Reply #52 on: February 01, 2020, 02:02:16 PM »
I wonder how Yamaha generates the VA in their Electones?
If they have a separate core for that.
I would have guessed Electones and Tyror/Genos shared a lot.

Offline pjd

« Reply #53 on: February 01, 2020, 08:39:25 PM »
I wonder how Yamaha generates the VA in their Electones?
If they have a separate core for that.
I would have guessed Electones and Tyror/Genos shared a lot.

Hi --

I took a quick look at the Service Manual for the Electone ELS-01/ELS-01C. The ELS-01 is one generation back in AWM2 tone generation (SWP50 vs. the current SWP70). The internal structure of the Electrone is quite different from high-end PSR and Tyros of that era.

The ELS-01C model adds organ flutes and virtual analog voices. The organ flute voices are produced by a pair of SWP50 (AWM2) tone generator ICs. Virtual analog (VA) voices are produced by a Yamaha YSS217B-F IC, also known as "DSP-V". This is the same IC employed in the PLG150-VL board. The Electone VA board is similar to the PLG150-VL, but discards the electronics needed for DAC and PC interfacing.

Virtual Analog synthesizers of that era (e.g., PLG150-AN, etc.) utilized the YSS-236-F, also known as "VOP3". The VOP3 was also moonlighting as the vocal harmony processor during that time frame.

Yamaha were not afraid to design and manufacture customized large scale integrated (LSI) chips for VL, AN and FM.

Hope this helps -- pj

Chelsea 4023

« Reply #54 on: February 02, 2020, 12:16:15 PM »
Hi,

I guessed you guys have all seen this video before, but if not then take a look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbDywIyOYb8

Checking on Ebay U.K. used Yamaha reface YK's are going for around £200.

Chris

« Reply #55 on: February 03, 2020, 04:09:46 PM »
Hi KeyboardByBiggs,

The fact that the Genos flutes improve extensively through an external rotary is an encouraging fact. For me, maybe the addition of a vent would suffice. I'll check with Korg to see what the implications are of adding something like that to improve the general flute sounds.
Thank you for the advice.

Chris

I hope it works out for you! I was floored when I first heard how much it improved. It was like all of the sound was there and just waiting to be unlocked.
Check Out My YouTube Channel! https://goo.gl/edbXFS