Author Topic: Need a little help after factory reset  (Read 4126 times)

MrRich

Need a little help after factory reset
« on: December 30, 2019, 10:29:12 PM »
After owning my Tyros 5 for several months I decided to upgrade the speaker system. Since my keyboard has been previously owned I thought this would be an ideal time to clean-the-slate by doing a full-factory-reset thru the FUNCTION, UTILITY menu. All has gone well, however, for some reason I am unable to reintroduce one feature that I had and enjoyed, before the reset.
Before the reset, after I would finish playing a song (while using the ACOMP and OTS, SYNC START settings together), the keyboard would always automatically reset the Style to Variation "A" and relight the SYNC START button, no matter which variation I finished the song on. I thought this to be a default setting and it worked perfectly for the way I play. The factory reset however has changed this. Now, when I finish playing a song and end on variation B, C or D, the keyboard will hold the variation I finished the song on and the SYNC START does not reset automatically. I would like the keyboard to automatically reset the Style to Variation "A" and light the SYNC START button when I have finished a song as it did before.
I've gone to the FUNCTION, STYLE SETTINGS menu and have tried every conceivable combination of settings to get this auto-reset feature back. I have even tried another factory reset to no avail. Can anyone give me some guidance as to how to program this reset feature back into my Tyros 5? Appreciated!
Rich

Online RONBO

Re: Need a little help after factory reset
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2019, 12:24:56 AM »
Hello,

in style setting set the style change behaviour to Main A. in tempo,Hold, and part to Hold.

That should do it for you

These settings work on my tyros 5

Regards,

Ron
PSR Performer Page                                  IT'S EASY TO BE THE SHIP'S CAPTAIN WHEN THE  SEAS ARE CALM

Proud Genos2 owner

Former boards  PSR2100, PSR 910, TYROS 4,  TYROS 5 and Genos

MrRich

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2019, 01:31:35 PM »
Good Morning Ron,
Thank you for taking the time to reply.
Going thru the Function menu I changed the keyboard settings to your recommendations with no success. The keyboard reacts as if I did not make any changes at all. I'm feeling that either the Factory Reset, somewhere, is locking out my ability to change these settings... or....I am just overlooking something obvious. Before the Factory Reset, after I would complete a song using any one of the pre-programmed endings, the keyboard would simply reset itself to: Style Variation A, and relight the Auto-Acomp On button....which made complete sense to me. That's why I believed it to be the default setting....but it wasn't.
Nowhere in either the Owner's Manual or the Reference Manual can I find anything about how to set this Style feature to where it was on my keyboard before I performed the Factory Reset. I did the second Factory Reset so that I could see if I could get this feature back before making any other user changes. No luck. Any other suggestions? Appreciated....and Happy New Year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Rich

Offline vanzee

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2019, 02:15:05 PM »
Hello Mr Rich,

see "Reference Manual" on pages 28 & 29

"SECTION SET Determines the default section that is
automatically called up when selecting different
Styles (when Style playback is stopped).
When set to “OFF” and Style playback is stopped,
the active section is maintained even if the different Style is selected.
When any of the MAIN A–D sections is not included in the Style data,
the nearest section is automatically selected.
For example, when MAIN D is not contained in the selected
Style, MAIN C will be called up."
Best Regards
Eddy Vanzee

Online RONBO

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2019, 03:16:22 PM »
Hello Rich,
Happy New Year to you and yours as well.

The settings I suggested to you work only if you change style after you are finished with the style you played beforehand.

I don't believe my tyros ever behaved like yours as you stated in your original post.
I think that behaviour would be counter productive and not really convenient. To default back to Main A all the time at the end of a song is something I would not want to happen.

However, if I change style I would like the newly loaded style to default to Main A and sync start on.. At this point you would have to set your preferred intro or no intro at all.

I do not believe you have the option available to set the board up the way you had it before. If it was working that way is a mystery to me .

Keep in mind that I am no expert here, and perhaps another member can suggest something I am unaware of to assist you.

Regards, and all the best

Ron J
PSR Performer Page                                  IT'S EASY TO BE THE SHIP'S CAPTAIN WHEN THE  SEAS ARE CALM

Proud Genos2 owner

MrRich

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2019, 08:05:59 PM »
Hello Ron,

Thank you for the explanation. Using your suggested settings my keyboard is doing exactly as you have further described. Being new to....and trying to learn about the capabilities, features and characteristics of this keyboard is overloading my noggin. I must have read pages 28 and 29 of the Reference Manual twenty times and I was still not understanding the true nature of what was going to happen when the different selections were made. Yes, there is sound reasoning behind being able to choose different Style and Acomp reset options to be initiated "after" a new style has been selected. It may take a little time, but this knowledge is sinking in.

After I purchased this keyboard I just wanted to play. So, I made the basic settings to suite my desires and didn't bother much with anything else. As I got used to playing the keyboard I decided it was time to put the headphones away and get a set of monitors. Initially I wasn't very happy with what I was hearing. The high notes were blaring and the lows notes were hollow sounding. This is when I decided to do the factory reset and make this Tyros "as new" again. Before proceeding I scanned through both manuals to get more acquainted with what I was going to be faced with afterward. As it turned out, re-establishing my personal settings wasn't difficult and reshaping the T5's sound has been very rewarding. Then.....I encountered this Style reset hiccup. It's bizarre that what I recall may not even be a selectable user option. Do you think the PO could have saved that setting in the keyboard somewhere? Is that even possible?

Another quirky thing that has happened is...both foot pedals always revert to Sustain (my pedal 1) and ART1 and ART2 (my pedal 2) when the keyboard is turned off, no matter where they were previously set. I'll look into this a little more as there must be a way (I hope) to save these foot pedal settings when the keyboard is turned off.

Gentlemen....my sincere thanks to both of you for taking the time to assist me getting my Tyros 5 set up. Your kindness is appreciated.

Rich

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2019, 08:26:54 PM »

Another quirky thing that has happened is...both foot pedals always revert to Sustain (my pedal 1) and ART1 and ART2 (my pedal 2) when the keyboard is turned off, no matter where they were previously set. I'll look into this a little more as there must be a way (I hope) to save these foot pedal settings when the keyboard is turned off.

That is the way the keyboard works. The standard solution is to create a setup registration which initializes the keyboard to your liking. Then load this every time you power on.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline Toril S

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2019, 10:27:08 PM »
Yes! I guess that is what the former owner did. And when you did a factory reset the setup registration was lost.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2020, 12:01:39 AM »
Yes! I guess that is what the former owner did. And when you did a factory reset the setup registration was lost.

No. Registrations are not lost in a reset. None of the files are.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

MrRich

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2020, 10:57:26 PM »
Hello Fred,

I performed the Factory Reset using the Function/Utility feature and checked all of the boxes. My registration buttons were all lighted blue before the reset. Afterward none were lit nor did they seem to contain any information. Were my registrations suppose to retain their info?

Thanks,
Rich

Offline Toril S

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2020, 11:16:50 PM »
If you performed a full factory reset that is correct. All is lost, and the keyboard is as it was when it came from the factory.
So I believe the former owner set up a registration where he/she made the style go back to variation A every time. Sadly, I don't know how to do this, but maybe others do?
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

MrRich

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2020, 03:35:12 PM »
Thank you Toril,

Fred mentioned setting-up a registration to initialize the keyboard to my liking at start-up. I've been, unsuccessful in establishing a registration setting to contain all of my preferred settings so that the setting modifications I've made in the Mixing Console, Foot pedal assignment etc, will not change when I select another registration or change to another style or voice. It seems that I can only hold some selections using the Freeze feature, but others, like the foot pedal assignments, I can't. Any suggestions?

Thank you!
Rich

Online RONBO

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2020, 10:26:40 PM »
Hello again Rich

I created a registration that I call START-UP In it I only use registration Number 1

if you restart the keyboard and hold down the next to top key you will get what is called New Bank

From there begin setting up the board exactly how you want it. After you think you are finished with the setups push the memory button and then review and check off all the options you would like to save. Then push reg # 1 and you are ready to rename the new bank to 01Startup I use the 01 prefix so this bank is always the first one of all the banks you may have. I find it handy that way

To name the startup bank just switch to any other bank and you will get the usual notice that something changed and follow the instructions and rename new bank to 01 startup or whatever else you may prefer

you should now have startup And new bank in your registration file.

If you wish to change a setup just bring up the bank make all the changes you want, push memory and reg #1 again.
When you are satisfied just switch banks and all those usual questions will come up again

Hoping this makes some sense to you. if you have more questions , just ask away

regards

Ron J

Proud Genos2 owner

MrRich

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2020, 08:41:31 PM »
Hello Ron,

Thank you for your reply.

I understand now! Somehow, I was thinking that the mixer and pedal settings would revert back to the Yamaha defaults each time I made a new Style selection. I am correct though when saying that if I use any other registration settings in other banks I will have to reset the start-up settings again if I want to go back to those settings?

Your help is appreciated!

Rich