Author Topic: Genos 2 fixes in next update  (Read 21817 times)

Re: Genos 2 fixes in next update
« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2020, 05:44:19 PM »
Another idea slightly off topic but related - we all seem to rely more and more on USB transfers. It would be nice to see USB 3 or better installed in Genos 2. The current USB is painfully slow. I know we can put the Genos in USB mode with a PC but that's of no use when we're gigging.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline vanzee

« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2020, 09:22:02 AM »
It would be convenient iff the "Song-Markers" could be operated in the "score"-display
from midifiles .
Best Regards
Eddy Vanzee

pco

« Reply #52 on: January 29, 2020, 02:07:32 PM »
it could be good aplying effects to multipads and audio channel of audio styles.

why not is possible yamaha?

Offline DerekA

« Reply #53 on: February 04, 2020, 04:52:43 PM »
Yes I've never understood why ensemble parts have to be from a restricted set. Surely the clever bit is assigning the physical keys to the 4 parts, not making the sounds??
Genos

« Reply #54 on: February 05, 2020, 04:04:46 AM »
it could be good aplying effects to multipads and audio channel of audio styles.

why not is possible yamaha?
I agree and also to apply EQ, and different Volume for each part (Main 1-4, Fills, Break etc), like a normal Midi Style.. :-\
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 04:07:06 AM by Sokratis1974 »

Offline Toril S

« Reply #55 on: February 06, 2020, 02:15:34 PM »
Bigger fonts and more contrast on the screen would be nice. And folders should have a different color.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline sunny

« Reply #56 on: February 12, 2020, 04:43:34 PM »
1) The biggest problem is that sub outputs sends a signal without Reverb,Dsp.
  I would like to have an option to switch on Reverb,DSP Effects to Sub Outputs.

2)Smooth Transition : Changing Registratins create a loud ugly sound due to the effects or sounds saved within each OTS or Registrations. Would be great if this is fixed.

3) Indian kit is missing in Genos Styles. Please add Indian kit and some Indian voices.

4)Tempo Lock : Last used Tempo to be saved, and that Tempo can be used eventhough we stop the style and play another style.

Sunny
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 04:47:03 PM by sunny »

Offline DerekA

« Reply #57 on: February 12, 2020, 07:28:10 PM »
sunny, your 4th suggestion there is already available, check under the style settings menu, "change behaviour" tab, Tempo setting
Genos

Bachus

« Reply #58 on: February 12, 2020, 08:55:44 PM »
Great idea!! The Genos is a computer first, with keys and sounds attached. Yamaha needs to start treating it as such - not the other way around :D.

I disagree with this statement...
A computer can do many things...
Genos can only do a single thing..(thats being an arranger)

Its a dedicated hardware device..
And altough the software adds much of the functionallity
Its fundamentally different from a PC..
you don’t call a dishwasher a computer either, do you?

« Reply #59 on: February 12, 2020, 09:43:02 PM »
By absolute definition, you're right Bachus but you missed my point. Everything today is controlled by computer software, so much so, that no matter the device, it may as well be a computer. Obviously, I know the Genos is NOT a full-blown computer! It just behaves like one. Its predecessors were nothing but a bunch of sound module circuits and a sound system (1980s and earlier). With Genos, we can no longer just consider it a wonderful sound module. We have to know a lot about computers to get the most out of it.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline sunny

« Reply #60 on: February 13, 2020, 01:57:05 PM »
Hi Sunny, for the 3rd suggestion you can download the free Indian Taals pack of S970, it works good on Genos. And, of course, a really missed voice on Genos is the Bosendorfer Imperial  :-\
  All keyboards Psr s970,s975 and even PSR SX 900 have Indian Kit but Genos does not have Indian kit , as such the third party styles are not compatible for Genos and third party producers are not making any exclusive Indian styles for Genos . I hope Yamaha will add Indian kit and few Indian voices in next update.

Sunny
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 01:59:51 PM by sunny »

Offline rbackes

« Reply #61 on: February 14, 2020, 12:30:46 PM »
I disagree with this statement...
A computer can do many things...
Genos can only do a single thing..(thats being an arranger)

That depends on how you define 'Computer'. The main CPU runs a Linux operating system, so it could be used to do all the things other computers can do, too.
On the other hand, lots of devices and appliances today run Linux instead of proprietary embedded OSes. So in theory, you could attach a serial console to you dishwasher and use it for other purposes - but the ressources available are really restricted - as the system is only designed for controlling some pumps and motors.
In Genos, all the sound creation and processing is done with specialized hardware (2 Yamaha Sound Processsor ICs), but the main CPU controls the whole system.
So Yamaha can add features or modify the GUI as easy as any programmer can change his/her program and as long the features are compatible with the existing hardware. But they have to be careful: the processor has much less processing power than even the cheapest Smartphone.

Rainer

Genos!

« Reply #62 on: February 14, 2020, 01:22:33 PM »
All I can say is that the sounds are the most realistic of any keyboard so far for a while now. I understand that part of it is because there are real recordings of audio files that can play along which helps; in a studio, a feature which I will probably never use. But it is definitely a plus if performing.

I would like to see midi-2 connection support another 16 standard midi channels via a software switch. Having 256 polyphony doesn't make a lot of sense if you can't use it. The Genos limit is 128 per channel without being able to use midi-2 for standard 16 channel midi.

Offline valimaties

« Reply #63 on: February 15, 2020, 10:11:19 AM »
... The Genos limit is 128 per channel without being able to use midi-2 for standard 16 channel midi.

Hi @Genos!

I think it is a wrong information. Total amount of polyphony is 128 for preset voices and 128 for expansion voices. Which means 128 for all channels not for only one channel.

This info is from Owner manual, page 122:
Not all simultaneously played notes sound.You are probably exceeding the maximum polyphony of the instrument. When the maximum polyphony is exceeded, the least important notes (such as soft notes and notes currently decaying) will stop sounding first

Regards,
Vali

Vali Maties - Genos

« Reply #64 on: February 15, 2020, 01:35:40 PM »
I agree with Vali.

Polyphony refers to the total number of notes the instrument can sound at one time on all MIDI tracks. "Events" don't count against polyphony usage. They're totally different. They are basically embedded code.

Back in the days of my Korg M1, I used to record and use up all of the polyphony, which I believe was 16 notes! On playback, I would hear the occasional dropped note and wonder where it went. I figured out that because of 100 percent quantization, I rapidly exceeded 16 notes because they all played at the same starting point in the bar. To solve the problem, I would nudge one or two notes by a 1/32th of a beat. Problem solved!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 01:36:47 PM by Lee Batchelor »

Genos!

« Reply #65 on: February 15, 2020, 02:53:50 PM »
I would like to see midi-2 connection support another 16 standard midi channels via a software switch. Having 256 polyphony doesn't make a lot of sense if you can't use it. The Genos limit is 128 per channel without being able to use midi-2 for standard 16 channel midi.

I have quoted myself yet again to get my point across...

Until I can use my midi-2 connection like I can use my midi-1 connection, it doesn't matter what the manual states. I have 128 polyphony port midi-1 and 0 polyphony on port midi-2.

Unless someone knows how to access the other 16 channels (midi is 16 channels per port [the midi standard]) on port midi-2, I will not be able to use this polyphony until I figure this out.

That is why I have stated this limitation for the moment. A simple software switch would allow access to yet another 16 channels for studio application. Right now I am somewhat limited, regardless of what the manual states.

A simple software switch to put midi-2 into 16 channel mode from arranger mode is needed, unless I am overlooking something.

Maybe I don't understand the difference between preset voices and expansion voices. I am currently using all of the "good" sounds via midi. Maybe I am using all of the preset voices on midi-1 and no expansion voices and hitting the 128 polyphony limit wall.

I don't know.

I can probably access 128 polyphony on channels 1-8 using expansion voices, and 128 polyphony on channels 9-16 using preset voices for a total of 256 note polyphony. I guess that is possible.

It still doesn't solve the problem of accessing 16 channels on port midi-2. Maybe I am talking about two different things.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 03:09:37 PM by Genos! »

« Reply #66 on: February 15, 2020, 03:56:39 PM »
I think your analysis is correct, Genos.

For the longest time, I honestly believe Yamaha has had a creed that states, "Those of you who buy a Genos shall not use said keyboard for studio production despite the fact the voices and styles are well-suited for studio production and the manual clearly states that the Genos can be used with a DAW. If you want to play with DAW recording, you must buy a Montage."

That comment is probably a little tongue in cheek but my point is, if the manual states very clearly that the Genos can be recorded with a DAW, then Yamaha MUST tell us how to do it! Better still, sell us a proper dedicated DAW for the Genos. I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Instead, I'm going to use VST instruments and just use the Genos as a MIDI controller - a task that a $199 keyboard could easily handle.

What a shame! A $6,000 keyboard that is so full of trap doors when it comes to DAW integration. Plain and simple, it doesn't work well enough. There are so many "things" you have to deal with that by the time you figurer it all out (or not), your creativity has gone out the door. My old DOS system was seamless when I used to record my Korg M1 and Roland Sound Canvas. You turned on the system, pressed Record, and started creating music. Not so with the Genos and Cubase >:(.

Online ckobu

« Reply #67 on: February 15, 2020, 07:59:03 PM »
I think you are right, but only partially. If set up correctly, Genos can communicate well with DAW. I use a free Cakewalk. I have not encountered any major problems and all I need is at my fingertips.
This video shows a small part of what can be done. I did not find any major problems that I could not solve.

https://youtu.be/C6H2MSpZO4g
Watch my video channel

« Reply #68 on: February 15, 2020, 08:51:11 PM »
I think you are right, but only partially. If set up correctly, Genos can communicate well with DAW. I use a free Cakewalk. I have not encountered any major problems and all I need is at my fingertips.
This video shows a small part of what can be done. I did not find any major problems that I could not solve.
https://youtu.be/C6H2MSpZO4g
Interesting. Thanks for posting but I have yet to see a video that starts us right from the beginning. There are no basic definitions, signal routing, how and why we set up tracks in Cubase a certain way, and how the Genos must be set up and why.

Every video I've seen out there assumes we're all recording engineers and know all the basics. It would be nice to see a video that my grandmother could understand (were she alive :) ). Then, I might be able to make sense of it.

Online ckobu

« Reply #69 on: February 15, 2020, 09:19:04 PM »
Lee Batchelor, I agree with you. I will soon be making a video showing what is important in connecting Genos and Cakewalk. You will see that most settings are already predefined in the Genos factory settings.

For starters, it is necessary to install Yamaha USB drivers.

https://youtu.be/U9yOmmYcxxw
Watch my video channel

« Reply #70 on: February 15, 2020, 09:21:03 PM »
That would be fabulous, ckobu! Your efforts are much appreciated. I do have the Yamaha USB driver installed.

Genos!

« Reply #71 on: February 15, 2020, 09:44:26 PM »
I'm actually trying to iron everything out before I get going again.
I'm not so certain that the Genos would make a good DAW.

Even if I can only record 16 channels at a time on midi-1 with 128 note polyphony it's a start in the right direction, simply because I like what I am hearing.

I didn't see any advertisements stating 'not for studio use'. Everything I saw said, "Buy me, buy me! You won't look back...", and so I did without regret.

We are very happy with our Genos.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 07:59:02 PM by Genos! »

The following users thanked this post: KeyboardByBiggs

« Reply #72 on: February 16, 2020, 01:20:24 AM »
I'm actually trying to iron everything out before I get going again.
I'm not so certain that the Genos would make a good DAW.

This may not answer all your questions, but I found it informative on this topic. This a demonstration of using Genos in the studio in concert with a DAW.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4uEfFVPQsg
Check Out My YouTube Channel! https://goo.gl/edbXFS

« Reply #73 on: February 16, 2020, 01:24:35 PM »
I left you a post in the other thread, Biggs. Thanks :)!

Online ckobu

« Reply #74 on: February 19, 2020, 07:27:46 AM »
Interesting. Thanks for posting but I have yet to see a video that starts us right from the beginning. There are no basic definitions, signal routing, how and why we set up tracks in Cubase a certain way, and how the Genos must be set up and why.

Every video I've seen out there assumes we're all recording engineers and know all the basics. It would be nice to see a video that my grandmother could understand (were she alive :) ). Then, I might be able to make sense of it.

As promised, the video is ready. I hope I was clear enough with the explanation and that your grandmother would be pleased to see him.  :D

https://youtu.be/vjqUzC4DqnI
Watch my video channel

The following users thanked this post: Lee Batchelor, KeyboardByBiggs

« Reply #75 on: February 19, 2020, 10:15:20 PM »
I left you a post in the other thread, Biggs. Thanks :)!

I don't know that I saw that Lee. Would you link to it here?
Check Out My YouTube Channel! https://goo.gl/edbXFS

« Reply #76 on: February 20, 2020, 12:46:19 PM »
I don't know that I saw that Lee. Would you link to it here?
Here you go, KB Biggs. This is my response from the other thread.

Thanks KB Biggs. I've gotten that far with recording the Genos to a DAW. The video describes how to do the basic recording on the Genos, import to Cubase, and then add audio tracks. What I really need is to record more MIDI tracks from the Genos. In terms of fine editing, MIDI is far superior and easier than audio.

Since then, I have figured out how to record VST instruments just by using the Genos as a MIDI controller. The setup is very straight forward. The HALion 6 voices are stellar. I even figured out how to record the Genos drum tracks from any style to Channel 9 in Cubase!!

In a short time, I'll post a few tunes in the Performance area. Thanks for all the help, people :)!