Author Topic: Genos headphone volume  (Read 3049 times)

Offline OmbDave

Genos headphone volume
« on: December 28, 2019, 10:33:50 AM »
Hi All, I have trawled through the forum for an answer but cannot find one, so my problem is that for LIVE  gigs I am using a Gear4Music wireless transmitter/receiver to earbuds through the headphone socket which works fine with no latency but I need more volume from my earbuds than the volume output to my QSC K series active speakers. I cannot find any way to increase the volume just to the headphone socket. Is this possible?
Here’s hoping
Dave
Dave
Yamaha Genos
Korg i3 (2021)
Yamaha Tyros3
Roland Alpha Juno
Pearl Drums, Paiste & Avedis Zildjian Cymbals
HK Audio Polar10

Offline Graham UK

Re: Genos headphone volume
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2019, 12:44:35 PM »
Dave. If you are using the keyboards Line Outs L&R to provide signal to your speakers, these L&R line outputs are at a set level so volume from speakers is independently adjusted on the speakers themselves, but you have these set very high level for you not to at least monitor on headphones.
Assuming the headphone are driven from the headphone outlet which case the volume to the headphones is increased with keyboards volume.

Test by reducing the volume of your speakers so you can hear the headphones better.
DGX670

Offline OmbDave

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2019, 01:32:48 PM »
Hi Graham, is it then impossible to have a different level of volume to the headphone socket? I did suspect as much. If so then I will use your suggestion of turning the speakers down and the Genos up, that way I’m not too loud for the audience but a bit louder in my earbuds.
I don’t use a mixer i just mix everything from within the Genos and as you say just Left and Right line outs to the speakers.
Thanks for your help
Dave
Yamaha Genos
Korg i3 (2021)
Yamaha Tyros3
Roland Alpha Juno
HK Audio Polar10

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2019, 05:32:18 PM »
Hi
Maybe a headphone amplifier. Plug into mains. Out of Keyboard to IN on amplifier ,then out to Headphones. Prices vary and quality.
ATB
JOhn
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline Graham UK

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2019, 10:08:49 PM »
OmbDave. depending on the impedance of headphones volume does vary from the same output signal. (Low Impedance headphones give higher volume for a given output.)

In general, low impedance headphones (which we will hereby define as below 50 ohms) are designed to work properly with portable devices, as they can efficiently reproduce adequate sound quality and volume from a low voltage device.
Conversely, high impedance headphones (50 ohms and greater) usually require robust amplification to perform their best.
DGX670

Offline OmbDave

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2019, 05:47:57 PM »
Thanks John and Graham, the earbuds I’m using are Sennheiser into a Gear4Music Receiver/Transmitter from the Genos headphone jack. For my average size gigs I have the QSC’s at three quarter volume and the Genos at about halfway volume. I suppose I could try them the opposite way around which would give  me more volume to the earbuds or if that doesn’t work then I could look into John’s suggestion of a headphone amp. Thanks for your help guys.
Dave
Dave
Yamaha Genos
Korg i3 (2021)
Yamaha Tyros3
Roland Alpha Juno
HK Audio Polar10

The following users thanked this post: Graham UK

Offline Bill

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2019, 10:58:07 AM »
Hi Dave

As has already been said --  Lower the Gain (Volume) on each of the speakers, then increase the keyboard volume until you get a good mix.

Bill
England

Current KB:  YAMAHA GENOS 2

Offline OmbDave

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2019, 01:14:56 PM »
Thank you Bill, I am going to try that at my next gig on New Years Eve.
Dave
Dave
Yamaha Genos
Korg i3 (2021)
Yamaha Tyros3
Roland Alpha Juno
HK Audio Polar10