Author Topic: PSR SX Quicktip - Play with hidden Voices  (Read 4206 times)

Offline ton37

PSR SX Quicktip - Play with hidden Voices
« on: December 26, 2019, 07:43:56 PM »
PSR SX Quicktip - Play with hidden Voices.
(Also for the Genos)

Have a look on: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpo8X89Ix4k

Source: Heidrun Dolde (soundwonderland.de)

Did you already realise that your keyboard contain many more voices as you can see?

You'll find the steps below and in the video!
There are many Voices of previous keyboards, and their main purpose is that old Midi files and Styles still work.
But these Voices are also a good addition for all of us who combine sounds for their live-playing! Unfortuately Yamaha decided to hide them ...

At the end of the video Heidrun Dolde gives the Yamaha Develop Team a advise to make it more easy to find/use these voices for the Yamaha consumers. A Great Advise. Hopefully Yamaha will read this AND make it happen in a future upgrade!

The steps to make them visible:

STORAGE
1. Mixer
2. Song
3. Select a Voice
4. Go up
5. Page 2 or 3
6. Enter desired folder
7. Press first Voice of each folder 3 seconds to put it to
8. Goto Favorites
9. Select first voice
10. Memory
11. Set only checkmark for "Voice"
12. Registration 1 (button)
13. Select second favorite voice
14. Store it to Registration 2 ... etc.
15. Name the Registrations
16. Save the Registration bank giving a meaningful name

RECALL THE HIDDEN VOICES
1. Home
2. Select Voice
3. Goto PRESET
4. Enter the Registrations you've saved before
5. Select Voice of previous keyboards

Now you can activate all Voices that are contained in the Voice folders and you also can see the paths. But if you leave the folder the only way to return will be using the Registrations!
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 12:28:23 PM by ton37 »
My best regards,
Ton

The following users thanked this post: hans1966, Mikk, T. Schaub

Offline beakybird

Re: PSR SX Quicktip - Play with hidden Voices
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2019, 03:49:12 AM »
I played around with Tyros 5 voices on my S970 some time back. I remember playing a Sweet VintageEP, and it sounded exactly like the regular VintageEP - a Wurlitzer - that was on the S970. The S970 didn't have the ROM to take advantage of this voice. But many of the Sweet! EP's sounded great. They were like the Sweet Tremolo EP that was on the S970, but they had different effects. Maybe they sounded better on the Tyros 5 because the T5 has more DSP's, but there were some voices that were worth exploring, and I used a few on my Registration settings.

I would bet that the S970 could take even better advantage of the T5's more numerous voices.

Offline Joe H

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2019, 04:39:02 AM »
They are just Legacy Voices. This is nothing new.  All models have the Legacy folder.  Yamaha does remove old Voices... they just get moved to the Legacy directory to make room for the new Voices with each new model that is released.

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline Jørgen

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2019, 08:13:08 AM »
They are just Legacy Voices. This is nothing new.  All models have the Legacy folder.  Yamaha does remove old Voices... they just get moved to the Legacy directory to make room for the new Voices with each new model that is released.

Joe H

Hi Joe

And the Legacy Voices are defined in the manual...  ;) Right...?

Jørgen
The Unofficial YAMAHA Keyboard Resource Site at http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha
- since 1999

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2019, 08:35:19 AM »
I think the OP is referring to GMXG voices which were freely accessible on Tyros's, but on Genos (and possibly PSR SX) there is no direct access by default but they are still there so they are available where used in older Styles and Midis.
This has been pointed out before and the links to these voices by category are downloadable (eg. for copying to Genos) for those who want to be able to select them, in effect making them part of the Preset choices.
John

« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 08:40:16 AM by jwyvern »

rcpilot

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2019, 03:56:00 PM »
Let me tell you ....IMHO Heidrun is one sharp cookie!
I plan to buy some stuff from her also.....
Lee