Author Topic: Will the sx900’s registrations work with Songbook Plus  (Read 34169 times)

Offline stephenm52

Will the sx900’s registrations work with Songbook Plus
« on: August 02, 2019, 02:23:48 AM »
I don’t see anything in the manual about the ability of the sx900’s registrations to pull up corresponding lead sheets on the ipad using Songbook.  Has anyone found any information regarding that possible feature? 
GENOS, SX900, Clavinova CVP 307, Korg Pa4x.........

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

Offline Robert van Weersch

Re: Will the sx900’s registrations work with Songbook Plus
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2019, 12:00:23 PM »
Yes, it will, in the same way it works on the Genos:
https://baumsoftware.freshdesk.com/de/support/solutions/articles/17000062439

They mentioned it on their FB page:
https://www.facebook.com/SongBookPlus
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 12:01:38 PM by Robert van Weersch »
---
Yamaha Tyros 5 76
Korg Liverpool (microArranger)

The following users thanked this post: hans1966, reya

Offline reya

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2019, 12:14:00 PM »
Yes, it will, in the same way it works on the Genos:
https://baumsoftware.freshdesk.com/de/support/solutions/articles/17000062439

They mentioned it on their FB page:
https://www.facebook.com/SongBookPlus

Great find Robert !!

Thanks

Rudy
Genos 1, PSR SX900, Roland PK6, Ketron SD1000
MSI Cubi 5 mini pc with IIyama prolite 24" touchscreen, MobileSheets

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2019, 12:17:26 PM »
Great find Robert !!

Thanks

Rudy

Nice find and great news, thank you.
GENOS, SX900, Clavinova CVP 307, Korg Pa4x.........

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

Offline lilryu

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2019, 04:40:42 AM »
How about OnSong? Has anyone tried using OnSong (https://onsongapp.com/)? I've used it but for different purpose. It'd be great if the PSR-SX900 can connect to it as well.

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2019, 06:26:47 AM »
The technique for all these apps is based on sending/receiving MSB/LSB/PC MIDI commands, so if one app will work, it'll probably work for all of them.
---
Yamaha Tyros 5 76

Offline reya

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2019, 07:39:03 AM »
Yesterday I attended a small scale presentation of the PSR-SX900 by Yamaha at my dealers.

I do not own apple products, so I do not have Songbook plus, but I am using Mobilesheets pro with my Genos, which has that same 'Genos only' feature that Songbook + has.

I went to the presentation, prepared to test this easy linking feature (took my tablet and cables) and was allowed to test it on the demonstration SX900 (which was at firmware 1.02 - so not the newest september version yet)

Sadly it did not work!
Obviously there was no time allowed to investigate this a bit deeper
But it is ok for my dealer to try this again mid september when he has the new keyboards on display ....

to be continued ....

Rudy
« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 07:44:57 AM by reya »

Offline reya

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2019, 07:44:05 AM »
The technique for all these apps is based on sending/receiving MSB/LSB/PC MIDI commands, so if one app will work, it'll probably work for all of them.

Robert,

The easy linking feature I referred to in the previous post, and I guess also the one Stephen was asking about when launching this thread, was newly introduced when Genos arrived and does not use the traditional PC midi but SYSEX midi.

Rudy

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2019, 08:18:19 AM »
Weird, why should Yamaha drop functionality which works with all sheet music apps?
---
Yamaha Tyros 5 76

Offline reya

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2019, 08:30:46 AM »
Weird, why should Yamaha drop functionality which works with all sheet music apps?

They did not drop the 'old' way, that still works.
They just added a new, much easier way.
Just open the score on tablet, load the registration file on the keyboard and optionally press a registration button.
Then press the link button on the tablet and both are linked.
After that, loading the score on the tablet will load the registration file on the keyboard (and optionally activate the button) and vice versa, loading the registration file on the keyboard and optionally pressing the button will load the score on the tablet

In the sysex communication, the full path of the registration file on the keyboard is contained. So one can now easily switch between registration files in different folders on the keyboard ...

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2019, 08:47:33 AM »
Ok, I don't have a Genos so I'm not familiar with the details of that feature. Strange that it does not work with your app, although Baum claims it should work with thier Songbook+.
---
Yamaha Tyros 5 76

Offline ckobu

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2019, 08:55:07 AM »
reya, you are right. SYSEX data makes editing text lists faster and easier.
https://youtu.be/83KSbB5H-_8

Maybe the MobileSheets author should be asked to enter a feature for the SX700 / 900. I remember he also made it for Genos when it came on the market.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Watch my video channel

Offline reya

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2019, 09:34:50 AM »
Well there are only a limited number of possibilities

1) There was a problem in my test setup. I don't think so , but if that was the case I will find out half september when I will try again.
2) There is a bug in Yamaha software (pity the SX900 did not yet have the september update 1.03)
3) Yamaha changed some of the code for this functionality on the SX line and communicated those changes to the makers of Songbook+ who in their turn adopted their software to comply.
4) This functionality is currently only in Beta and not yet published to the public. So not yet on the SX devices out there ...

I definitely hope it is not option 3.

I would like confirmation of a Songbook+ user that he/she actually got it to work on a SX keyboard.

I know for a fact that the guy behind Mobilesheets is very busy at the moment doing a major rewrite of the annotations editor in Mobilesheets. And after that he is planning to port Mobilesheets to iOs, which will make the app available for Android, Windows AND iOs !!!
So even if he is asked, I am not sure he will be able to make time for it in the near future.

fingers crossed ....

Offline reya

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2019, 12:26:51 PM »
Yesterday I attended a small scale presentation of the PSR-SX900 by Yamaha at my dealers.

I do not own apple products, so I do not have Songbook plus, but I am using Mobilesheets pro with my Genos, which has that same 'Genos only' feature that Songbook + has.

I went to the presentation, prepared to test this easy linking feature (took my tablet and cables) and was allowed to test it on the demonstration SX900 (which was at firmware 1.02 - so not the newest september version yet)

Sadly it did not work!
Obviously there was no time allowed to investigate this a bit deeper
But it is ok for my dealer to try this again mid september when he has the new keyboards on display ....

to be continued ....

Rudy

So, today I went back to the dealer, this time armed with the latest Yamaha firmware updates on a USB stick ready to try again. On a PSR SX-700 this time.

I started with installing the 1.02 firmware update on the SX-700
Then I connected my tablet with MobilesheetsPro on it, and tried to link a pdf score on the tablet to a registrationfile on the SX700.

This time it worked fine !!
And after that, loading a linked score on the tablet, also caused the corresponding registration file to be loaded on the SX-700 as well. So that's working fine too.

Best Regards
Rudy

Offline Enildo

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2019, 12:49:41 PM »
So, today I went back to the dealer, this time armed with the latest Yamaha firmware updates on a USB stick ready to try again. On a PSR SX-700 this time.

I started with installing the 1.02 firmware update on the SX-700
Then I connected my tablet with MobilesheetsPro on it, and tried to link a pdf score on the tablet to a registrationfile on the SX700.

This time it worked fine !!
And after that, loading a linked score on the tablet, also caused the corresponding registration file to be loaded on the SX-700 as well. So that's working fine too.

Best Regards
Rudy

This is good news!
When word fail, Music speaks!

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2019, 09:13:31 AM »
I'm considering an SX700, next to my T5, so that is nice to know!
---
Yamaha Tyros 5 76

Offline Marty

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2019, 03:30:39 PM »
Anybody have their SX working with 'Forscore' ? There is a midi learn option which reads the midi data when selecting a registration. This works fine and a bunch of hex codes are shown received. However the sheet does not get selected when you select the registration again!

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2019, 03:34:57 PM »
I don't know Forscore, but in my experience it's best to type the MIDI commands (PC, CC, MSB/LSB etc) yourself.
---
Yamaha Tyros 5 76

rcpilot

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2019, 09:29:25 PM »
I,m getting ready for a new phone. I have a SX-900 coming soon. It looks like there is some advantages getting a Iphone or Ipad???? vs Android?
Is that true.....
Thanks,
Lee

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2019, 11:22:55 PM »
Hi Lee,
I think so.
Yamaha has a few apps ie I have chord tracker and MusicSoft, plus I have smart pianist for my p121.
I could be wrong, but I don’t think they’re on Android.

Plus I have Songbook. Haven’t done too much with it yet, as currently I’m using my iPad as a midi interface between my sx900 and p121. Trying to work out if the iPad works better or my laptop as an interface.
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

Offline Marty

« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2019, 03:31:54 PM »
It seems Songbook has some 'undocumented' way in order to retrieve the registration details which includes the directory path of the registration. For example "1@USB:/Registrations/R/ROCKY1.S917.RGT" is the link details stored in Songbook of one of my registrations on a USB stick.
I couldn't find anything in the data list relating to this feature. Perhaps the Songbook developers worked directly with Yamaha in order to have this feature.

Sadly 'Forscrore' which I use will not work.

Offline daleSP

« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2019, 11:57:00 PM »
It looks like someone has documented the way the registration info is retrieved and requested from a Genos. It works similarly on a PSR-SX900.
https://zubersoft.com/mobilesheets/forum/showthread.php?tid=4327

Dale

Offline Marty

« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2019, 03:43:06 PM »
Thanks for the information and link. Hopefully the 'Forscore' developer will implement as well.