Author Topic: Retain chorus effect when style is changed  (Read 2992 times)

Retain chorus effect when style is changed
« on: January 04, 2021, 06:20:46 PM »
I have noticed that every time I select a style, the chorus effect also gets changed.

What I want to do:
I want to assign  a 'Delay' effect as the Chorus system level effect and I want to use this across all songs. However, every time I select a different style to match the song I am going to perform, the Chorus effect changes. I am inclined to think that the styles and chorus effect is somehow linked and there is no way to override this. I have looked in the system settings and could not find anything. Please let me know if anyone has faced this issue and if there is any setting or maybe a clever workaround.
PSS480, PSS290, PSR630, PSR3000, MOX6, Current: PSR S970 + PSR SX600 + Casio CTK-240

Offline DerekA

Re: Retain chorus effect when style is changed
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2021, 09:55:57 AM »
You are right that the system Reverb and Chorus effect assignments are stored as part of the 'style' group.

There is a 'freeze' function, but I don't think it includes the system effects.

I'm not sure there is any way to stop them changing.
Genos

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2021, 01:33:46 PM »
If you want styles to have specific System types, you need to first add those properties manually and save the styles in Style Creator. They will then be present in the styles when selected.
Alternatively you can use registrations to select the styles, making sure the registrations were originally memorised and saved after you had added the properties needed (eg chorus, reverb etc.) to the style.
John

The following users thanked this post: rezaazadi1361

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2021, 03:07:57 PM »
Thanks for your replies.

I am in fact trying to save all the panel settings in registration memory; one registration bank per song. Every time I change the style for a new song, I have to go back into the effects screen and re-select delay for the chorus system effect.

I found a way to lock the Reverb Type via UTILITY -> Parameter Lock, but there is no such option for the Chorus Type.

Looks like the only way this can be done is to edit the style and save it as a user style.
PSS480, PSS290, PSR630, PSR3000, MOX6, Current: PSR S970 + PSR SX600 + Casio CTK-240

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2021, 03:35:27 PM »
If you want styles to have specific System types, you need to first add those properties manually and save the styles in Style Creator. They will then be present in the styles when selected.

@jwyvern, thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Your suggestion about saving the Chorus Type in the style got me thinking. I checked the Parameter Chart in the Data List pdf for the PSR S970 and noticed that Registration Freeze Group for Chorus Type is STYLE/SONG.  I was able to save the required chorus type in a blank SONG (with no notes) and save this SONG in Registration Bank (called INIT). Now every time I select a different STYLE, I just need to recall the INIT Registration Bank and the correct Chorus Type gets selected  :)

Offline DerekA

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2021, 03:43:38 PM »
That's a clever solution - well done :)
Genos

tyros5psr

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2021, 09:59:06 PM »
excellent way it is exactly what I do but with the Tyros 5 to freeze the Harmony function echo when you press VOICES ENSEMBLE.. together Because the default Yamaha puts volume on pedal 3.while I would harmony echo.always.
tyros5psr