Author Topic: Suggested improvements for firmware updates  (Read 5831 times)

Offline beakybird

Suggested improvements for firmware updates
« on: December 24, 2019, 09:54:47 PM »
Yamaha is famous for not making improvements in function on their PSRs when they do firmware updates. They just fix bugs. So I wouldn't make any suggestion like new voices, styles, or capabilities.

It is a pain in the behind to make a minor change to a file like a registration while keeping the same name and location. I think there are five steps. I think that Yamaha should put an option of "overwrite" with a required OK/Cancel choice before the file is overwritten.

Not as important, I think that in the parameter lock feature, it would be good to put volume and reverb where you can select what volume and reverb you want locked (R1, R2, R3, L, style, mic). This way, if you are playing in a cave-like atmosphere, you can keep reverb levels low.

Offline Dnj

Re: Suggested improvements for firmware updates
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2019, 10:01:50 PM »
Good Idea in theory but with every player with DIFFERENT needs they have to generalize & minusculize their updates
and leave out some so you will buy the next model otherwise they don't make a profit. That is business.
What one player needs doesn't bother or concern the next player at all. But updates are always a plus.

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2019, 10:08:44 PM »
Good suggestion. Like computers, there should be functions to Save (overwrite) and Save As... (to rename). I was hoping they would do this with the revamped Genos OS, but no luck.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline beakybird

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2019, 11:10:42 PM »
Good suggestion. Like computers, there should be functions to Save (overwrite) and Save As... (to rename). I was hoping they would do this with the revamped Genos OS, but no luck.

Cheers,
Fred

Oh, so the Genos is saddled with the same archaic system of archiving. Sad.

Oh, on the A-Z keyboard, after selecting caps, it should revert to small letters after the first letter unless you select cap lock - either by holding the shift key down or by pressing a dedicated cap lock key.

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2019, 11:12:26 PM »
Oh, so the Genos is saddled with the same archaic system of archiving. Sad.

Oh, on the A-Z keyboard, after selecting caps, it should revert to small letters after the first letter unless you select cap lock - either by holding the shift key down or by pressing a dedicated cap lock key.

Agreed, although forget the Caps Lock key. It’s so archaic. Just double tap the shift key.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline andyg

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2019, 03:07:56 PM »
But on the other hand some people definitely do not want that. I have students with eyesight that means that they prefer all file names in upper case. You cannot please everyone and what's 'vital' to someone is probably of no importance (or would be a retrograde step) to someone else.
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com

Offline beakybird

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2019, 03:26:35 PM »
But on the other hand some people definitely do not want that. I have students with eyesight that means that they prefer all file names in upper case. You cannot please everyone and what's 'vital' to someone is probably of no importance (or would be a retrograde step) to someone else.

On every Yamaha keyboard sold, factory preset files are in title case, not all caps. Yamaha knows that most people prefer this.
Double clicking the shift key or pressing a cap lock key to get all caps is not onerous for anyone and mimics the behavior of a real computer keyboard.

Offline andyg

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2019, 03:59:42 PM »
You sure about that? I'm pretty certain that all of mine, plus the ones in the teaching studio, from PSR2000 to T5 and S970, default to upper case.

But either way, you won't please everyone and even as a product designer, I was prevented from putting some things into organs and keyboards as they were considered too 'personal' and not 'universal' enough! :)
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com

Offline beakybird

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2019, 06:12:08 PM »
You sure about that? I'm pretty certain that all of mine, plus the ones in the teaching studio, from PSR2000 to T5 and S970, default to upper case.

But either way, you won't please everyone and even as a product designer, I was prevented from putting some things into organs and keyboards as they were considered too 'personal' and not 'universal' enough! :)

What I'm saying is that the onboard styles that appear on the screen on all of these keyboards are in title case - first letter of each word capitalized, and it is most convenient for the touchscreen keyboard to either mimic the keyboards that come with our smartphones and tablets (the touchscreens that billions of people use) or their computer keyboards (also used by billions of people).

The styles you buy from Yamaha MusicSoft come in title case, not in all caps. Yamaha knows that most people label their files in title case and want to see their files in title case.

Offline beakybird

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2019, 06:18:51 PM »
Going back to suggested improvement and MOVING ON FROM THE ADVANTAGES AND DISADVANTAGES OF A KEYBOARD THAT DEFAULTS TO ALL CAPS  :o, I like to occasionally adjust a voice in the octave menu, and I wish there were a direct access shortcut to the octave menu.

Also, I think that it would be great if an assignable button could be set to an individual parameter that you could then adjust with the multi-purpose knob.

Offline Enildo

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2019, 11:29:24 PM »
Yamaha is famous for not making improvements in function on their PSRs when they do firmware updates. They just fix bugs. So I wouldn't make any suggestion like new voices, styles, or capabilities.

It is a pain in the behind to make a minor change to a file like a registration while keeping the same name and location. I think there are five steps. I think that Yamaha should put an option of "overwrite" with a required OK/Cancel choice before the file is overwritten.

Not as important, I think that in the parameter lock feature, it would be good to put volume and reverb where you can select what volume and reverb you want locked (R1, R2, R3, L, style, mic). This way, if you are playing in a cave-like atmosphere, you can keep reverb levels low.

Yes I agree with all this that was proposed by you.
When editing a style in the style editor, the system should take us to the original file folder, but every time we have to search folder by folder.
That's annoying!

Enildo
When word fail, Music speaks!

Offline Enildo

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2019, 11:30:14 PM »
Going back to suggested improvement and MOVING ON FROM THE ADVANTAGES AND DISADVANTAGES OF A KEYBOARD THAT DEFAULTS TO ALL CAPS  :o, I like to occasionally adjust a voice in the octave menu, and I wish there were a direct access shortcut to the octave menu.

Also, I think that it would be great if an assignable button could be set to an individual parameter that you could then adjust with the multi-purpose knob.

To access the octave menu just press "Direct Access" and press one of the octave buttons.
When word fail, Music speaks!

Offline beakybird

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2019, 01:07:35 AM »
To access the octave menu just press "Direct Access" and press one of the octave buttons.

Hurray! I missed this!

Offline Joe H

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2019, 04:47:31 AM »
Yamaha had to re-write the OS when they released the Genos with the touch screen.  And now that the sx900 also has a touch screen, should we assume that it has a very similar operating system as the Genos.  If it does that means there is the potential for Yamaha to add new features and styles and other things as they have done with the Genos.  But... being a mid-price arranger (middle-of-the-line), we don't know if Yamaha will actually be offering updates and new features as they have done with the Genos (top-of-the-line).  I think some of us would like to believe that, but Yamaha has always offered special features and perks for the TOTL arranger that will never be available to the middle-of-the-line arrangers like the sx900. We will just have to wait and see.

???    ???   ???

Joe H
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 04:52:42 AM by Joe H »
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline beakybird

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2019, 05:08:51 AM »
Yamaha had to re-write the OS when they released the Genos with the touch screen.  And now that the sx900 also has a touch screen, should we assume that it has a very similar operating system as the Genos.  If it does that means there is the potential for Yamaha to add new features and styles and other things as they have done with the Genos.  But... being a mid-price arranger (middle-of-the-line), we don't know if Yamaha will actually be offering updates and new features as they have done with the Genos (top-of-the-line).  I think some of us would like to believe that, but Yamaha has always offered special features and perks for the TOTL arranger that will never be available to the middle-of-the-line arrangers like the sx900. We will just have to wait and see.

???    ???   ???

Joe H

The software seems to be pretty well thought out probably because it did originate in the Genos, and there's been time to iron kinks out. Most important, the OS is stable.

blackpool

« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2019, 12:11:36 PM »
Only thing I would like to see is files not appearing on sreens that are not part of that screen and dont belong there  ( happens on most models )

ie. your on style screen and reg folders are there and vis-versa and of course when you go to open them they are empty.
Maybe there is a way to hide these and I have missed it.

Keith 

Offline beakybird

« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2019, 02:28:12 PM »
Only thing I would like to see is files not appearing on sreens that are not part of that screen and dont belong there  ( happens on most models )

ie. your on style screen and reg folders are there and vis-versa and of course when you go to open them they are empty.
Maybe there is a way to hide these and I have missed it.

Keith

There isn't a way to hide these files. I completely agree. If you have the first screen of files with 10 folders filled with just styles, you have to put your registration folders on the second page, and your text files on another page.

Of course, you can keep files, registrations, text files, and everything else in the same folder.

It would be cool if you could hide folders and make them only appear on a screen if they have a discoverable file inside. A folder with just styles wouldn't be seen within the menu of registrations.

With two USB drives and more internal memory, there is the option of separating files, registrations, and other files on separate drives.

blackpool

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2019, 03:12:58 PM »
I just created a folder called 'hidden' and bunged em all in there, So yes, if the system needs data from em they are, well there but out of my way ...it has always been a pain in the b*** to me and the many people I have taught...
Keith
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 03:27:30 PM by blackpool »

Offline beakybird

« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2019, 03:41:56 PM »
I have one mini pen drive with just styles from the Tyros 5 and Genos. My other pen drive has all of my old styles, all my registrations, texts, everything else. Most of my styles, registrations, and texts are together in the same folders separated by genre.

The only confusion is when you look at a folder on the computer. But on the computer, you can sort the files alphabetically and by type.

Offline Ingar

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2020, 11:20:35 AM »
I do miss scandinavien letters Æ Ø and Å when I write songsnames. It must be a miss. They  have been in place on previous models.
Ingar

borge

« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2020, 11:54:06 AM »
Scandinavien letters Æ Ø and Å are there.
Just hold down the "A" key or the "O" key and you will get more letters.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 12:57:57 PM by borge »

Offline Ingar

« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2020, 01:22:56 PM »
Thank you, borge! That was great. Learn everydag..