Author Topic: Step Recording Chord Input  (Read 2040 times)

Offline MCammuso

Step Recording Chord Input
« on: September 03, 2022, 03:26:07 PM »
I tried to step record chord input using a style from USB1 but it doesn't work. I select the style then open step recording, but it lists the style as "Sky Pop", not the user one from the USB. It seems to only work with panel styles. Is that true or am I missing something? I've read the Reference Manual but I don't find an answer.

Online EileenL

Re: Step Recording Chord Input
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2022, 05:28:09 PM »
Step record only allows on board styles to be used on the newer keyboards.

Offline pjd

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2022, 05:28:38 PM »
I play Genos, not SXxxx. On Genos, it isn't possible to use a USER style in Chord Step Record. Only preset styles.

I suspect that PSR-SX has the same limitation.

We have complained about this Genos limitation for years with no fix. Sad to say, you're now part of the club.  :(

All the best -- pj

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2022, 09:38:52 PM »
Holy cow, how did I not notice this feature being removed?

Well, EM me Paul, if you need to apply a different user style to a chord step recording. The old non-touchscreen ones still allow for user styles. What am odd thing to take out.

Mark

Offline pjd

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2022, 11:16:40 PM »
Hi Mark --

There is a work-around using the presto-chango method of step recording a Chord Looper progression. I haven't tried this on PSR-SX Chord Looper, so maybe some brave soul will give it a go.

Method: Step record a chord progression via MIDI Chord Step Record. Expand the accompaniment. Save as a Standard MIDI File (SMF). Change the MID file extension to CLD. Import the CLD file into Chord Looper. You should see and be able to play the chord progression.

While in Chord Looper, you can change the style to either preset style or USER style.

Hope this helps -- pj

P.S. I've been meaning to record "Wicked Games" using a lo-fi custom style that I made for this purpose. I made the style on PSR-S950. Then, I upgraded to Genos and couldn't/didn't finish the job!
« Last Edit: September 03, 2022, 11:20:57 PM by pjd »

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2022, 11:49:25 PM »
Yes, I was going to ask if your chord looper hack could be used, and apparently so.

But it just seems like such a weird thing to remove!

After all, on the chord step recorder you can specify which channels are active as well; can you on the chord looper? (not the biggest deal in the world, after all you can delete the specific midi notes after rendering, but it's just so much easier to not render them in the 1st place if possible)

Offline MCammuso

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2022, 01:32:45 PM »
Thank you for the suggestions. I'll give the chord looper method a try.

Offline pjd

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2022, 12:30:13 AM »
... but it's just so much easier to not render them in the 1st place if possible)

Hi Mark --

I tried it the other way, too. Unexpanded -- no joy. The unexpanded MIDI file doesn't have much actual MIDI data in it. The chords are represented in Yamaha's proprietary data chunk. Expansion creates the XF chord meta-events. The sequencer has a lot of legacy code/baggage.  :o  :'(

No clue why they restricted Cord Step Edit styles to preset styles...

Take care -- pj

Offline ckobu

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2022, 05:19:22 AM »
This is how you can use Chord Looper instead of Step Recording Chord.
https://youtu.be/-BljSgJEB6w
Or you can use the Producer program for the same thing.
It looks a bit complicated, but once this method is understood, one can control the process nicely.
https://youtu.be/WsmVxiN4F84?t=55

Please turn on English subtitles
Watch my video channel

Offline LaHawk

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2022, 03:41:04 PM »

This is how you can use Chord Looper instead of Step Recording Chord.
https://youtu.be/-BljSgJEB6w

I'm confused. How exactly is using chord looper beneficial in recoding a song?
Quick recording or chord looping, either way, the chords must be entered correctly timed with the melody. No? 
Why not just quick, or multi record your song, concentrating on chords, then add (or edit) right hand melody if necessary?

And as this topic "Step Recording Chord Input"  answers, external styles with chords can not be edited on newer Yamaha arrangers. Is that answer also true if you record a song using chord looper?

Larry   PSR-SX900
 My You Tube Recordings

Offline ckobu

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2022, 05:13:57 PM »
I'm confused. How exactly is using chord looper beneficial in recoding a song?
Quick recording or chord looping, either way, the chords must be entered correctly timed with the melody. No? 
Why not just quick, or multi record your song, concentrating on chords, then add (or edit) right hand melody if necessary?
Of course, the multi-recording method can be used. But if you make a wrong chord at the very end of the song, you have to repeat the process from the beginning. When using the Chord looper, it is easier to fix the error-

And as this topic "Step Recording Chord Input"  answers, external styles with chords can not be edited on newer Yamaha arrangers. Is that answer also true if you record a song using chord looper?
The Chord Looper method can also be used with external Styles.
Watch my video channel

The following users thanked this post: LaHawk

Offline LaHawk

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2022, 08:16:00 PM »
Of course, the multi-recording method can be used. But if you make a wrong chord at the very end of the song, you have to repeat the process from the beginning.
When using the Chord looper, it is easier to fix the error-
The Chord Looper method can also be used with external Styles.

Thanks Casper. Now to figure out how fix an error in chord looper  ::)

Larry   PSR-SX900
 My You Tube Recordings

Offline ckobu

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2022, 08:23:22 PM »
Simply. If you make a mistake, repeat the recording.  ;D
Watch my video channel

Offline LaHawk

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2022, 09:05:52 PM »
Simply. If you make a mistake, repeat the recording.  ;D
Was wondering if there is a way to change the chords in chord looper banks without re recording.
Larry   PSR-SX900
 My You Tube Recordings

Offline ckobu

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2022, 09:09:56 PM »
Unfortunately, it doesn't exist. But if MixMaster is used, loops are very easy to create/correct on the computer.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Watch my video channel