Author Topic: Genos file management question  (Read 2890 times)

Offline Toril S

Genos file management question
« on: December 23, 2019, 04:42:02 PM »
Hello friends :)
On my S975 I can open a folder on a USB divice, copy a file, open a folder on the user section and put the file in the appropriate folder. If I want to move more files between the tow folders, I just use the TAB buttons to tab between them, Very convenient!
But in Genos, if I open user section, and then go back to USB, I end up at the root directory. I must have missed out of something here. Another thing, folders are never highlighted in Genos, that too is inconvenient. So the question is: How can I navigate between two folders on Genos with just the puch of a button/press of screen?
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline EileenL

Re: Genos file management question
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2019, 06:36:17 PM »
Hi Toryl,
  The procedure is slightly different when copying a folder. You press Copy first and then select the folder and it will then highlight. When copying content from one folder to another you do have the choice of just highlighting the ones you want or selecting all. This saves going back and forth.

The following users thanked this post: Toril S

Offline Toril S

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2019, 06:45:10 PM »
Thanks Eileen😀 What I want is to open two folders and go back and forth between them to transfer files. For instance, I am in a subfolder on my USB. I select a file, go to user and copy the file. Then I want to go directly back to the first folder again. How to do? On the PSR I just tab back.
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Online Fred Smith

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2019, 06:48:36 PM »
Why not select more than one file at a time?

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline Toril S

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2019, 07:54:43 PM »
Yes, but I audition tundreds of styles, and suddenly find a gem. When I am 3 subfolders deep and am on the 18th page, it takes some time to find my way back again😀 Genos throws me back to root!
Toril S

and PSR-47.

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2019, 09:51:12 PM »
Toril, I can't answer your question but there are some really dumb things about the Genos operating system. The one thing that drives me insane is when you're on page 15 of your registrations and you delete one registration. After confirming the deletion, the operating system sends you back to Page 1 instead of staying on Page 15. Totally stupid design - almost as dumb as the Copy and Paste function. Instead of Paste, Yamaha uses Copy here. Duh......
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2019, 10:30:32 PM »
Yes, Lee. Duh....!
That's exactly what happens with style selection too.
I am on page 15, three subfolders down on my USB stick, find a style, copy it HERE to user, and press USB again to continue my seach on page 15. But Genos just opens root directory of the USB. SO, I have to dive in again, three subfolders, find page 15, and so on. Glad I didn't know this when I bought the Genos, it would probable be a dealbreaker for me. On Tyros, you can tab between the open folders without a problem. To bad I can't call this a "bug," I understand that it is even more irritating when handling registration files. To people who read this, peace and love. I love my Genos, but this file system is not so conveniant.
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline anandmaloo

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2019, 07:05:45 AM »
Hi Friends,

I had this exact same problem but I found a trick to beat the problem. And it is working very effectively for me.

When I am doing multiple copy paste or move operations of styles - I simply create a temporary registration with any style file on that screen (ticking only the style parameter)

Then when I go the the other folder where I have to do another operation, I create another registration with a style on that screen.

So now I just have to press the registration screen and I directly go to that folder screen.

Similarly I handle the operations of multipads and voices. 

And then I simply do not save the temporary registration I created.

It does save me a lot of frustration and time. Hope it helps !

Anand

Offline frankmusik

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2019, 07:23:30 AM »
Hi Fred
I recommend everybody Not Using Folders with More than 50-70 Files...
So a Selection out Of 1000 Songs Regs Styles Takes a Maximum of 4 clicks....

That is so in Every YAMAHA keyboard Since psr-3000.. all tyros  genos...

I made Seminars seeing musicians had  to press 27 Buttons to select and Start one Song ...
I say That is Not clever.

Frank

PS: the copy on sx and genos should be improved anyway in multiple copy here...and the Folder thing... choosable where to Stay Or favourit folder....
Genos and Tyros /PSR Support in Germany - Europe with more than
280 keyboardscouts helping in D-AT-CH-NL at your home!
Monday 18:30 (6:30 pm german time) Live tips on youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBxOTmwqvDGu5QavFWeaQfQ

Offline vanzee

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2019, 08:51:25 AM »
Hello,
I don't use the usermemory at all.
All I need is stored on usb-stick at the front of Genos.
No stick at the bottom.
Very convenient for making backups
and detailed operations.
Simply stick out the Genos and in the PC.
Best Regards
Eddy Vanzee

Offline Toril S

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2019, 10:23:10 AM »
Thanks all😀
Toril S

and PSR-47.