Author Topic: Drums...... Brushes  (Read 2669 times)

Offline mgbchuck

Drums...... Brushes
« on: March 13, 2021, 07:11:39 PM »
Howdy.... I have a question on my tyros five. When I choose the brushes… In the rhythm section… Or drums… The volume is just not loud enough. I have gone in and increase my volume to 127… And still cannot get the volume level where I would like it.  I have even increased the style level… An increased  it a considerable amount to get the brushes louder… And then turn down the other instrumentation… But it just doesn’t punch through at all. I think I am spoiled by listening to the examples that Peter Bartman shows on the Genos.... With the Brushes on the drums. They really punch through on some of the jazz songs. This might be because of the new drum kit. Is there any other drum kit available for brushes for the Tyrus five… Or any suggestions to what I am doing wrong.

Re: Drums...... Brushes
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2021, 08:44:25 PM »
Hello Mgbchuck,

sometimes on my Clavinova and also on my Genos I have experienced the same problem volume on a part of the accompaniment, where the sound is weak, and even increasing the volume does not solve the problem.

After after several and various attempts, I discovered two ways to increase the volume:
-this option is valid for any part/any sound: you can increase the volume (of course over the 127 volume value) by selecting as the insert effect, Compressor: it gives you an unbelievable additional range of volume, by tweaking on the output parameter of the compressor effect;
-this second option works with drum/percussion part only (that are the only parts of the accompaniment that Yamaha allows us to edit):  go in Style Creator/Edit, and modify the level of the instruments (in your case: brushes) whose volume you want to raise. This method is effective if the level of the brushes is not to near to 127.

Often, if I change the voice for the Pad part, the new voice can be weak, even if I set the part volume at 127. If I assign the Compressor effect, I get an huge amount of extra volume (normally at 40-50% of Compressor out level, I get a very high volume.

I'm sure there could be other methods. But I'm quite satisfied with the above ones, as I solved all problems of volume on a specific part/sound that I faced with.

Hope this can help. But I'm curious about alternative/additional methods.

Ciao,

Angelo
Yamaha Genos, Clavinova Cvp309PE, Hs-8, Hammond Xm2.
Past: Farfisa Minicompact, CompactDeLuxe; Elkarapsody; Hammond L122R&Leslie142; CasioCz1000; Roland D50, E20, ProE, Juno106, JX8P, Ra90; Technics Kn800, 1000, 2000; Korg M1, i3, i30, Pa1x, Pa3x; others.

The following users thanked this post: mgbchuck

Offline Graham UK

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2021, 10:26:36 PM »
It is not good to have any style part volumes at 127. This can push the keyboard pre-amp into clipping/distortion.
Better to reduce all other style parts which will bring the drums more forward.

Another option is copy that brush to VoiceSet and make voice adjustments and save as .VCE

PS. Can't remember if VoiceSet can be used with the Drums ?
DGX670

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2021, 04:58:07 AM »
The second method that Angelo described is what you want to learn how to do. He is also correct the newer styles SFF2 (T3 and newer) Yamaha has pretty much LOCKED the other parts of the style out, so you can not adjust the volumes (or any thing else for that matter.)

It is very important to download (and save) all the older style files (Before the T3) from our Charter Member section of the forum. YOU can use Jogen's program and unlock those styles and adjust anything you want. Then copy and paste the altered riff/pattern into your newer SFF2 style to get what you want done. I have used this tip many times when creating my custom song styles.

http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha/software/stun/index.htm

Regards
Drake
« Last Edit: March 14, 2021, 05:00:40 AM by DrakeM »

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2021, 11:12:18 AM »
I perfectly agree with Graham suggestion:
"Another option is copy that brush to VoiceSet and make voice adjustments and save as .VCE"
It is a "third" method that I use (I apologize I forgot to mention it) for voices different from Percussion and Drums.
Thank you Graham for mentioning.

Drake, very interesting your suggestion about Jogen's software.
It would be nice if Yamaha would unlock other parts (but Percussion and Drums) in Style editing.
Thank you.

Angelo
Yamaha Genos, Clavinova Cvp309PE, Hs-8, Hammond Xm2.
Past: Farfisa Minicompact, CompactDeLuxe; Elkarapsody; Hammond L122R&Leslie142; CasioCz1000; Roland D50, E20, ProE, Juno106, JX8P, Ra90; Technics Kn800, 1000, 2000; Korg M1, i3, i30, Pa1x, Pa3x; others.

Offline mgbchuck

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2021, 07:15:58 PM »
Thanks for all the help guys...... Does anyone agree with me that the brushes are just too soft and don’t punch through. Boy do I love Peter playing the Genos with the Revo drums and the brushes. They sound great!  I will have to take your suggestions and see if I can get that out of my Tyros 5.
Thanks again..... Chuck

Offline Graham UK

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2021, 08:49:33 PM »
mgbchuck. I use T5-76 and after setting EQ & CMP it sounds vibrant.
Don't have any problem with Drum Brush Volume...A brush is not a kick drum.

EQ settings is dependant on your speakers, (in my case headphones)
Set CMP to PUNCH and see if your ears like it.

Regarding Style Part volumes they should average around volume 64 with Drums being higher as required.  Check Style part volumes of the keyboard bulit in styles.

Many 3rd party style offerings are very badly volume balanced.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2021, 08:56:20 PM by Graham UK »
DGX670