Author Topic: User Area On Genos Not Recognized- Critical my biggest Christmas Gig Friday  (Read 7802 times)

Offline stephenm52

My biggest Christmas gig of the season is Friday Dec. 20.   I've just fired up my Genos to do little rehersal  Much to my dismay my Genos user area is not being recognized where I have registrations and styles stored.   The user area does not recognize my usb stick either where I have back ups also stored.   

HELP!!! Has anyone ever encountered anything like this??
GENOS, SX900, Clavinova CVP 307, Korg Pa4x.........

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

Offline Eric, B

Hi Stephen,
Do you have more info you can give us?
What have you done so far?
Can you access user area without inserting the USB stick?
If no it would be the KB if yes it would be the stick etc.
Screen shots also help.
Eric
Genos, PSR-S970

DonM

I made a suggestion on SZ post.

Offline stephenm52

Thanks Don and Eric.   Eric below is what I've tried :

Eric,

1.I did a keyboard reset.
2.I recalibrated the touch screen
3.The user area with or without the USB stick cannot be accessed. 4.My first thought was it was the USB stick but I tried others and they show a USB stick is present with the amount of space on it
5. tried the usb sticks in my Mac and all the files are appearing when at the computer.

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

Steve, is it possible the files on your USB stick are corrupted. If so, do you have the originals backed up on the Mac?

If so, reformat the USB stick on the Genos, copy the files from the Mac to the USB stick root directory, and then see if the Genos can read them.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline stephenm52

Steve, is it possible the files on your USB stick are corrupted. If so, do you have the originals backed up on the Mac?

If so, reformat the USB stick on the Genos, copy the files from the Mac to the USB stick root directory, and then see if the Genos can read them.

Lee, Yes I have the files backed up not only on the Mac but on 2 other USB sticks.    I think worth mentioning is I had files in the USER drive area, those are not accessible either. 

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

Okay, Steve. Do you have a full backup of your Genos? Perhaps you could load it and see if that helps. I believe the USER area of the Genos is an SSD. I understand that once a part of an SSD goes, the whole drive is done - unlike a spinning disk drive that can survive with a few bad sectors.

Did you buy your Genos from a music store? How fast can this be fixed? Perhaps they have a Genos they can rent you and you could load your backups on it and use it for your gig?
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline stephenm52

Lee,
'
Based on my former employment in the IT field I have a tendency to think you are correct the SSD may have failed.  The good new out of this is this.   I have a Pa4x that I have alternated playing gigs with, I preferred the Genos for the all instrumental program I have on Friday.  I'm at the Pa4x now going over all the settings because it was during Christmas 2016 that I used the Pa4x.  The 4x will do the job and what's even better is I had previously set up Songbook on the Korg to communicate with my Android tablet with Mobile Sheets Pro.   I had forgotten I had done that so when I pull up a song on Mobile Sheets or choose an entry from Songbook both keyboard and tablet settings/lead sheets are matched.   

I already called my music dealer and he has not seen this problem ever with a Genos.  I will calling Yamaha tech support for a resolution to the problem. 

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

Offline valimaties

Did you tried to access User area using PC with Yamaha's MusicSoft Downloader software?

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline Fred Smith

Did you tried to access User area using PC with Yamaha's MusicSoft Downloader software?

Or, try USB storage mode: Power on + Playlist button.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline Toril S

Re: User Area On Genos Not Recognized- Critical my biggest Christmas Gig Friday
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2019, 10:28:53 PM »
Stephen, you have my deepest sympathy. Good advice from the friends. Sounds like the SSD is faulty. Scary just how many parts in our keyboards that can suddenly decide to call it a night! Hope you find a good solution for tomorrow, I wish you good luck with your gig! BTW, I have one Christmas Eve :)
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Roy_T

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2019, 11:44:08 PM »
Per the Genos Service Manual, internal memory (That would be the User Area.) is a Toshiba 64GByte eMMC device (THGBMGG9T4LBAIR).  eMMC stands for embedded Multi Media Card.  It's what a lot of the Chromebook type devices use in place of hard drives. That's not quite the same as an SSD, but it is still solid state storage and subject to the same type of catastrophic failure.

Looks like the PA4X is probably your best bet for this go around, Steve.  Wishing you all the best - whatever you do ! ! !   . . . and good luck on getting the Genos up and running again soon.

Roy

« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 12:04:39 AM by Roy_T »

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2019, 12:46:56 AM »
Thank you everyone for your input and sympathy Toril, Fred, Valimates and Roy_T, DonM, Lee and Eric B

Toril, enjoy your Christmas Eve gig. You’re using the Genos? 

Great news my problem is solved at least for now.   :) :)     I figured I was up the creek without a paddle and may have to have service on the board.   I was able to see the drive via USB storage mode as Fred and DonM both suggested I try.   Although I was able to see the drive there wasn’t a single file on the drive and there should have been.  With that said I went into the Utility screen where I could see the internal drive.  I had nothing to lose and formatted the drive, I then rebooted the Genos and can now see the user area and can access all my USB stored files.    I’m not gambling man so I’m not taking a chance that it could happen at the gig tomorrow.  I’ll use the PA4x since it’s set up for Christmas gigs that I played in 2015 and 2016. 
« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 02:35:31 AM by stephenm52 »

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

Offline Toril S

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2019, 10:22:42 AM »
Great that you found a solution! I use my S975 for gigs, but I am tempted to take the Genos😀
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline soryt

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2019, 05:36:01 PM »
I had after the V2 update the same problem , there was maybe a corrupt file on the user drive
After Formatting and a total reset i loaded only the styles and files i knew they are not corrupt.

this was the procedure Yamaha mailed to me :

In this case, if no clear cause is recognizable for the problems you described, it may be useful to:
- First make a backup of your setups.
- Fully initialize the Genos.
- Re-arrange the Setup completely.

That is a bit more work, but sometimes, because content from 3rd party providers is on the Genos, paths can no longer function correctly after installing a major update.

For the reset (you lose all user data, hence a backup is useful): keep a Cis-Dur chord pressed (Cis, F and Gis) when switching on, in the 2nd octave from the left.

When the word "Test" appears on the Display, you can release.

Now press 2x the [Tempo -] button (Factory Set) and then 2x the [Start / Stop] button.

Now press the [Tempo +] button (Test Exit) 1x and then [Start / Stop] again.
Wait until the Genos has completely booted.

After this i filled up the User drive with my files on the right places  with Music soft downloader program (song-song/ sty-sty etc etc)

And all works now as it should be  :)

S   8)
Genos & YC61 and Tannoy Gold 5 Monitors
My You Tube Channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmC6hdAR1v5lYN8twfn0YbA?view_as=subscriber

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2019, 12:30:50 AM »
I had after the V2 update the same problem , there was maybe a corrupt file on the user drive
After Formatting and a total reset i loaded only the styles and files i knew they are not corrupt.

this was the procedure Yamaha mailed to me :

In this case, if no clear cause is recognizable for the problems you described, it may be useful to:
- First make a backup of your setups.
- Fully initialize the Genos.
- Re-arrange the Setup completely.

That is a bit more work, but sometimes, because content from 3rd party providers is on the Genos, paths can no longer function correctly after installing a major update.

For the reset (you lose all user data, hence a backup is useful): keep a Cis-Dur chord pressed (Cis, F and Gis) when switching on, in the 2nd octave from the left.

When the word "Test" appears on the Display, you can release.

Now press 2x the [Tempo -] button (Factory Set) and then 2x the [Start / Stop] button.

Now press the [Tempo +] button (Test Exit) 1x and then [Start / Stop] again.
Wait until the Genos has completely booted.

After this i filled up the User drive with my files on the right places  with Music soft downloader program (song-song/ sty-sty etc etc)

And all works now as it should be  :)

S   8)

Thank you for such an informative post.

P.S.  what does this mean ?  Keep a Cis-Dur chord pressed (Cis, F and Gis) when switching on, in the 2nd octave from the left.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2019, 12:03:54 PM by stephenm52 »

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

Offline vanzee

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2019, 08:55:30 AM »
Hello,
Is it only ther usb-stick that is not accessible ?
or is it also expansion and intern usermemory ?
Did you change something in the usermemory ?

A few weeks ago a friend of mine asked me to
install upgrade v2.0 and to reorganize is
expansion.
When I tried his Genos I noticed that only
the "Preset" was accessible, no user, no expansion.

I connected his Genos to the PC and looked at is usermemory.
I saw that all the pre-installed folders were stored
as subfolders in a folder named "Copy", they were not
in the root anymore.
He pretended not to know how that happened.

So, I extracted the original presetfolders out of
the folder "copy" and restored them to the root of the
usermemory.
After doing this all went well as it should.

Conclusion:
don't change anything at the preset installed folders
in the root of the usermemory,
otherwise there is a high risk for troubles.
Best Regards
Eddy Vanzee

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2019, 12:04:37 PM »
Hello,
Is it only ther usb-stick that is not accessible ?
or is it also expansion and intern usermemory ?
Did you change something in the usermemory ?

A few weeks ago a friend of mine asked me to
install upgrade v2.0 and to reorganize is
expansion.
When I tried his Genos I noticed that only
the "Preset" was accessible, no user, no expansion.

I connected his Genos to the PC and looked at is usermemory.
I saw that all the pre-installed folders were stored
as subfolders in a folder named "Copy", they were not
in the root anymore.
He pretended not to know how that happened.

So, I extracted the original presetfolders out of
the folder "copy" and restored them to the root of the
usermemory.
After doing this all went well as it should.

Conclusion:
don't change anything at the preset installed folders
in the root of the usermemory,
otherwise there is a high risk for troubles.

Eddy,  I did not change anything at least I don't think I did.

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

Offline vanzee

« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2019, 02:17:58 PM »
Stephen,
can you connect the Genos to the PC
and look if you recognize something
in the usermemory as I wrote in my previous reply ?
Best Regards
Eddy Vanzee

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2019, 03:30:19 PM »
P.S.  what does this mean ?  Keep a Cis-Dur chord pressed (Cis, F and Gis) when switching on, in the 2nd octave from the left.

Hi Stephen,

The sequence quoted by soryt starts the Service Test mode.

There are two methods to start up the Test mode on GENOS.

Method 1

1) While pressing keys [C#2], [F2], [G#2] (C#2 major chord, keys near the DIRECT ACCESS button) simultaneously, turn on the power [Standby/On] switch.

2) When Test mode started successfully, “TEST” is shown on the LCD.

Method 2

1) While pressing the buttons REGISTRATION MEMORY [1], REGISTRATION MEMORY [3] and REGISTRATION MEMORY [5] simultaneously, turn on the [ ] (Standby/On) switch.

2) When Test mode started successfully, “TEST” is shown on the LCD.

I haven't done a reset from Test Mode on my Genos, but running the 'Factory Set' test on my Tyros4 simply sets a flag in memory.  The actual reset is then carried out when you next turn the keyboard on.  I don't know if things are the same on Genos.

However as Vanzee suggested, before carrying out a reset, I would try to connect the keyboard to a computer in Storage Mode to see if there is anything obvious about the folders or files on the User drive which might help you if the problem happens again.

Regards

Ian

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2019, 09:41:02 PM »
Stephen,
can you connect the Genos to the PC
and look if you recognize something
in the usermemory as I wrote in my previous reply ?

There was nothing in user memory at all.  Eventually I got it all to work by formatting the drive.

Ian thank you for clarifying that information! :)

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks