Author Topic: bass megavoice  (Read 2167 times)

Offline gskip

bass megavoice
« on: December 18, 2019, 12:23:38 PM »
Hi,
I am having an issue with bass volume in various styles. Some too loud, some too soft. I realize the best way is to correct each registration, but it is time consuming when you have many registrations.
I read recently somewhere(?) that you could apply compression to the bass voice alone. How?
All I have been able to do is apply compression for the entire system in Master mixer settings. Is there a better , or quicker way?
thanks,
Skip

Offline vanzee

Re: bass megavoice
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2019, 01:52:10 PM »
The only way I see is :
mixer > Style > Effect > Insertion Effect
(choose instrument) Bass > press above "volume" (green)
> in category > (on leftside) select "EQ & Comp"
> in "Type" (on right side) select a type (3 pages)
Best Regards
Eddy Vanzee

Offline gskip

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2019, 02:58:55 PM »
thanks,
I was wondering about the insertion effects. Will that cover all the bass  megavoices in all styles?
Also, if I choose "Bass Comp." and do you have any suggestions about the Detail settings (threshhold, gain, etc) or just leave them at default?

Offline vanzee

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2019, 03:28:06 PM »
I don't think it will cover for all the styles in one time,
I think it has to be saved in registr. , style or voice.

As the type settings are already "presets" I would leave them as default,
but you can always do experiments.
Best Regards
Eddy Vanzee

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2019, 10:32:56 PM »
Hi Skip.

I started a thread about this a while back. It's impossible to tame the bass mega voices without using the compression settings in the EQ area. I'm in the process of adjusting over 300 registrations manually  >:(!!!!!!!!!!

There is no external software with auditioning capabilities for such a purpose. The good news is, I apply the Bass Compressor setting without changing any of its parameters BUT it's still a huge and pain the a** because there is no quick way to modify registrations using a PC. You must do them one at a time on the Genos.

Holy socks, Yamaha!!! You provide us with a professional level keyboard and then assume we all sit at home playing the thing in our living room???!! Even home players need some way of editing these settings other than doing them on the Genos. For example, Eileen (hope you don't mind me using your name as an example :) ) now plays her keyboard at home. Suppose she buys herself a really nice set of speakers that are far better than the ones that you can get with the Genos (marginal for the outrageous price tag). She now has to go through and modify all her registrations "one at a time" in order to hear all the nuances available in the Genos and tame the mage voice bass lines. Are you kidding me??? She probably has way more registrations than I do!!

Murray Best has graciously provided us with an excellent registration editor, but it doesn't provide Style editing. I don't even know how he accomplished what he has so far, but the point is - he shouldn't have to!!

I would pay good money for an external registration editor. Montage clients get all kinds of free goodies. Why not us?? I just hope I live long enough to "manually" adjust all these registrations.

Sidebar Often, the drum kit snares are WAY too loud. They remind me of these young amateurish drummers who have no concept of dynamics. To solve the problem, I have been re-doing the rhythm styles and saving them in the user area. For the heck of it, I tried applying the Bass Compressor to the system drum kits. I takes the edge off those overly loud snares!! I don't know how Yamaha missed that.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 02:55:02 AM by Lee Batchelor »
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.