Author Topic: CVP Styles when available please.  (Read 10718 times)

Offline Graham UK

CVP Styles when available please.
« on: December 17, 2019, 04:31:42 PM »
It will be interesting to see what new styles are available when they can be shared please.
DGX670

Offline Kenneve

Re: CVP Styles when available please.
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2020, 08:11:47 PM »
CVP809 & 805 styles are freely downloadable in RGT format from the Yamaha website
The 809 version contains around 630 files and the 805 version somewhat less.
Probably worth downloading both, as the contents are not the same.

You need to copy them to the root directory of a USB stick, then access them via the registration section.

Press Reg Bank +&- together
Navigate on screen to USB stick and required directory (5 directories of various genres)
Click on desired song
Press Reg No1 to load

Both versions work fine on my 805

The following users thanked this post: PAFF

Offline John T4

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2020, 08:31:38 PM »
they are just the registration to use on a 805  or 809  they do not include the styles,

as far as I can see...

regards  John

Offline Kenneve

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2020, 09:27:57 PM »
I must confess I've only had the the 805 for 6 days so everything is quite new.
However each registration is labelled as a Gig style and has the style to suit the particular song.
You need to have OTS Link switched on.

I never used RGT files on my old 605 and haven't yet  worked out, what the difference is between Reg files and Style files, they both seem to do the same job, i.e. Setup the keyboard to suit a particular song, maybe you can point out the differences if any.

Regards to all

Offline Toril S

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2020, 10:12:56 PM »
It is the style files we are interested in.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline mikf

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2020, 04:48:34 AM »
There is a HUGE difference between a registration and a style file. The style file contains all the information that makes the style. A registration is just a set of instructions and pointers. It will point to a style file, not contain it. The style file not only has to exist somewhere on your keyboard, but the registration has to be able to find it. Typically transferable registration files will use the standard style files on your keyboard, and because they are the same on every keyboard of the same model, it can find the style. But if, for example, someone made a registration that pointed to a custom style file on their user area, or a usb, the that registration will not work properly on your keyboard. This would also be true if the registration was made on a different keyboard model, and is the reason why some work is usually required when a registration from a different keyboard model is used.
So be clear, registrations from a CVP 805 loaded on your keyboard will use styles already on your keyboard because the CVP styles do not exist on your keyboard.
Mike

Offline Kenneve

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2020, 09:59:24 AM »
I'm sorry Mikf, but i'm still a bit confused.
These downloaded RGT files seem to me, to do exactly the same as my Style files, in that the file sets up the the whole piano, to suit a particular song. (these files are listed by song name)
Are you saying it will only do that, if that particular Style is aready loaded to my 805?

I can well understand that many of my existing styles, copied from this website will contain information, which is not part of the standard 805 listings.

Maybe you can answer another query. Am i right is assuming that voices which are listed as Legacy or XG files are 'old technology' and are voices carried over from older model pianos?  Many of my existing styles seem to make use of these voices and perhaps I should think about editing some of these, to make use of the 'new' voices on the 805.

As I said previously, I've only had the 805 for less than a week. Very impressed with the way it sounds and have much to learn.
Many thanks for you help.

Offline Jørgen

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2020, 11:09:19 AM »
Hi

The style data is stored within your keyboard. These are known as the preset styles.
The style file data are instructions to produce the sound. Actually the data is MIDI data plus some Yamaha specific data.

The RGT file just points to and fetches this data for use.

Jørgen
The Unofficial YAMAHA Keyboard Resource Site at http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha
- since 1999

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively, Ray, Kenneve

Offline Toril S

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2020, 12:06:55 PM »
Style files can also be exported from your keyboard and put elsewhere. Only audio styles have some restrictions. So you can take CVP styles and play them on for instance an S970. But they will not always sound the same, because the S970 may not have all the voices that the Cvp had. And here starts the fun! Now you can change out voices with the ones that are on your keyboard, adjust volumes and so on. Several people on this forum are experts at this thing. You can mute style parts, or even take a part from another style and put in. You can even make your own style from scratch.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline mikf

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2020, 03:22:08 PM »
I'm sorry Mikf, but i'm still a bit confused.
These downloaded RGT files seem to me, to do exactly the same as my Style files, in that the file sets up the the whole piano, to suit a particular song. (these files are listed by song name)
Are you saying it will only do that, if that particular Style is aready loaded to my 805?
Yes, but more than that. It’s not enough to have the style, the registration needs to know where it is to locate it. So the registration may need re done. And as Toril says, if you really want to take it to the next level, even then it is not quite the same because the style itself may use different voices if taken from another keyboard model.
There are multiple ways to set up the keyboard for a specific song. Obviously you can do it manually every time, but the registration is a method that allows many keyboard parameters to be set, stored and re called instantly. These parameters are not just the style and the tempo, but the voices, Effects, pedal settings and many other settings.
You can also customize and store a style on the keyboard, and attach voices using the OTS system, and this may be adequate, but it doesn’t allow all the other parameters to be stored like a registration. Of course you may not need all these so it works well in that situation.
But because the registration is really just a set of pointers it is quite specific to your keyboard. So strictly speaking registrations would only be transferable between keyboards if they use preset styles, and are exactly the same model. They may sometimes appear to work when moved to other compatible keyboard models because the keyboard is quite smart about trying to find an alternative style that does exist on that keyboard. That may or may not be ok, but strictly speaking moving registrations between keyboards may take just as much effort to modify as to set it up on your keyboard in the first place.
Re legacy voices, - yes they are voices from older models. Yamaha has always done this on new models presumably because it’s easy and costs nothing, and some people may like the old voice. So you could say they are old technology, but they are playing through whatever sound system improvements are included in the new model, so maybe not completely ‘old’.
Mike

The following users thanked this post: Kenneve

Offline mikf

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2020, 05:18:40 PM »
One thing I forgot to mention - another advantage of registrations is that you can have several set up in a bank for a single song, so you can easily change several settings - style section, voice etc - for different parts of a song like intro, verse,  chorus and ending, all at a single button touch.
Mike

Offline Kenneve

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2020, 11:22:47 AM »
Many thanks Mikf for your explanation of the differences, between Syles and Registrations, I think I now understand. also your comments re Legacy voices.
Have tried edit one or two of my styles to includes the 'new' voices and I have to admit in least one case the older voice was better!
I currently don't have the expertise to create my own styles, so for ther moment will stick with what I know, ie run with the Styles, using OTS and the 4 variations. I look forward to any posts, which offer Styles created specifically for the CVP805/9 series.

Offline Christopher Fernandes

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2020, 05:44:45 PM »
I'd really love to have the style files of CVP 809. ~600 of them I believe? I've seen several demo videos and after looking at the data list of CVP809, it seems to have some styles that were omitted from Genos for some reason. Maybe those styles are refreshed with Revo! drums and newer MegaVoices?

One of the styles that caught my attention was from this video at around 7:47... If you look closely it's apparently a style called "ChristianRock". Never heard that before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4cIFvzI-_w

[attachment deleted by admin]
Current Instruments: Yamaha PSR-SX900/Epiphone DR100 AG

Gear: Yamaha KS-SW100 Subwoofer

Past Instruments: PSR-E413
Played: All Yamaha PSR-S, KORG PA700

Offline EileenL

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2020, 11:30:47 AM »

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively, Christopher Fernandes

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2020, 08:01:19 PM »
They are already on here https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,54807.0.html

It gives me an error. Can you please repost?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Online overover

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2020, 10:33:03 PM »
It gives me an error. Can you please repost?

Hi Christopher,

you must be a Charter member, Senior member or supporter to access this board. Please read the Replies #2 and #4 (of Roger Brenizer) in this thread:

https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,55050.msg429639.html#msg429639

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: Christopher Fernandes

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2020, 04:58:12 AM »
Hi Christopher,

you must be a Charter member, Senior member or supporter to access this board. Please read the Replies #2 and #4 (of Roger Brenizer) in this thread:

https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,55050.msg429639.html#msg429639

Best regards,
Chris

Thanks! I can see them now.

Online overover

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2020, 05:41:23 AM »
Thanks! I can see them now.

Thanks for your feedback, Christopher!
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)