Author Topic: psr s975 bluetooth ?  (Read 4179 times)

moises

psr s975 bluetooth ?
« on: December 14, 2019, 04:52:27 AM »
hi there
can somebody help with this:
is  psr s975 Bluetooth compatible with MacBook mainstage application,if yes what do I have to use with it(I own a psr s975) thanks .

Offline Fred Smith

Re: psr s975 bluetooth ?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2019, 05:26:47 AM »
hi there
can somebody help with this:
is  psr s975 Bluetooth compatible with MacBook mainstage application,if yes what do I have to use with it(I own a psr s975) thanks .
[/quote

The 975 does not support Bluetooth.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline pjd

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2019, 10:22:52 PM »
Rephrasing Fred's reply, the S975 does not have Bluetooth built in.

You can add a Yamaha UD-BT01 Bluetooth module to the USB TO HOST port. This acts like a bridge from Bluetooth to USB. The UD-BT01 can pair with the Mac and Core MIDI.

Hope this helps -- pj

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2019, 11:26:03 PM »
Rephrasing Fred's reply, the S975 does not have Bluetooth built in.

You can add a Yamaha UD-BT01 Bluetooth module to the USB TO HOST port. This acts like a bridge from Bluetooth to USB. The UD-BT01 can pair with the Mac and Core MIDI.

Hope this helps -- pj

You can also use a Yamaha MD-BT01 Bluetooth MIDI adapter. In difference to the UD-BT01, the MD-BT01 does NOT need external power (since it is powered by the DIN MIDI Out socket of the keyboard).

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline pjd

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2019, 06:23:08 PM »
Thanks, Chris, that will work, too. (I have both UD and MD.)

I don't know if anyone has studied the latency of UD- vs. MD-BT01. I did a crazy experiment using a Windows 10 PC (MIDIberry) to bridge the UD to the MT. I wanted to play  the MODX from the Genos keyboard. It worked, but the latency was horrendous. Too busy with new music to get scientific...  :)

The UD might (?) be a better option since the wired connection is MIDI over USB.

All the best -- pj

Offline overover

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2019, 07:39:05 PM »
Thanks, Chris, that will work, too. (I have both UD and MD.)

I don't know if anyone has studied the latency of UD- vs. MD-BT01. I did a crazy experiment using a Windows 10 PC (MIDIberry) to bridge the UD to the MT. I wanted to play  the MODX from the Genos keyboard. It worked, but the latency was horrendous. Too busy with new music to get scientific...  :)

The UD might (?) be a better option since the wired connection is MIDI over USB. ...

Hi pj,

thanks for your feedback!

I have only the MD-BT01. Yes, in theory, the UD could be a little faster, because "MIDI over USB" is faster than a standard MIDI connection via DIN MIDI.

The actual speed of the "MIDI over Bluetooth LE" transmission should be the same on both MD and UD, and under normal circumstances there should be no noticeable latency so that a connected keyboard or sound module can be played in real time. If a software synth is triggered, it must of course not itself have a too high latency.

Maybe the reason of the extremely high latency (or low speed) is the MIDI bridge software or the used PC hardware. In any case it is important to ensure that at least Bluetooth V4.0 is supported by the hardware and software that is used with such "Bluetooth LE" devices. Bluetooth versions prior to 4.0 have a much higher latency.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: December 16, 2019, 07:56:09 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline pjd

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2019, 12:43:27 AM »
Hi Chris --

Agreed. The PC bridge adds quite a bit of latency with a trip up the Windows stack and down the stack.

I spent a little time looking at the MIDI over Bluetooth protocol. The MIDI messages are timestamped, ostensibly to improve timing and avoid jitter. Timestamps are 13-bits and are expressed in milliseconds. The standard says "Correlation between the receiver’s clock and the received timestamps must be performed to ensure accurate rendering of MIDI messages, and is not addressed in this document." Open ended and not a simple problem!

I'm not worrying too much -- just want to learn in case I get the urge to build a tiny controller with Bluetooth BLE MIDI.

Take care -- pj