Author Topic: No MFD. Is this a BFD?  (Read 5733 times)

Offline beakybird

No MFD. Is this a BFD?
« on: December 08, 2019, 04:44:10 PM »
With the acquisition of the PSR-SX900, I got all of these new styles, and they sound great, but I'm at a loss about what new songs I should learn that would be perfectly tailored to them.

No MFD? The playlist download doesn't include that much. What should we do? I'm floundering in a sea of great styles with a dearth of ideas.

Re: No MFD. Is this a BFD?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2019, 06:48:35 PM »

HiBeaky,
Did you download the bonus playlist from Yamaha website

It’s towards bottom of the page.

https://au.yamaha.com/en/products/musical_instruments/keyboards/arranger_workstations/psr-sx900/downloads.html#product-tabs

There’s  also free expansion paks

https://au.yamaha.com/en/products/musical_instruments/keyboards/arranger_workstations/psr-sx900/vse.html#product-tabs

The above are the Aust. sites, also available from the US and European sites.
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively, Mikk

Offline overover

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2019, 07:19:22 PM »
Hi beakybird,

you can import Music Finder files (.MFD) on the SX900! The imported Music Finder Records will be converted to Registration Bank files, and also a Playlist file will be created.

Please read the chapter "7 Playlist" in the PSR-SX900 Reference Manual (pages 91/92) for detailed information.

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline beakybird

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2019, 07:42:01 PM »
Now when I downloaded the Playlist file from the Yamaha website, I had just been examining them as registration banks. There's not that much there.

Just now, I tried to append these files to the original playlist that came with the keyboard. At the end of loading each playlist, I saved it as "new" again. When I press any of the song titles in the Playlist menu, I get an error that the file is not found or that the file name is inappropriate. I guess I have to save each playlist file individually?

Being able to add the S970 MFD to the playlist should be helpful.

I see know way of being able to get the Playlist files to appear in the order of the names of Style files. I wish this would be possible.

Rikkisbears, as far as expansion material at Yamahamusicsoft, this is another issue entirely. At some point, I might want to get the Country Musician pack - when it's on sale perhaps.

blackpool

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2019, 11:06:26 PM »
Hi - Its easy to copy over all your MFD files to the SX
It works in the very same way as Genos
There are 3 sets of files Joe sells on the forum ( contains around 7000 song records )  + the UK Tyros 5 set is good with 2500 records.

Each MFD is then not only converted to a playlist but an individual registration bank for each MFD record ready named for you with the song title . In fact i deleted the converted playlists it created and use the registration banks only, creating new playlists for just the records i want to use. ( so no deadwood ) the song record is all in button 'one' the rest of the reg. slots are empty, so you can build the bank from button one, maybe using some of the ots settings or adding your own voices .... its GREAT
Use the search facility it is very handy to find your song titles. I also copied the reg folders to style screen ( just bunged them all in a new folder and called it MFD )  - as sometimes you get 'file lost' error if you dont have the origin USB inserted - and this for some odd reason appears to overcome this.

This video explains how to do it very easily - BEST feature of Genos/SX  IMHO
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nB6ntNgJhM
Keith
« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 11:18:24 PM by blackpool »

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2019, 12:22:03 AM »
Hi - Its easy to copy over all your MFD files to the SX
It works in the very same way as Genos
There are 3 sets of files Joe sells on the forum ( contains around 7000 song records )  + the UK Tyros 5 set is good with 2500 records.

Each MFD is then not only converted to a playlist but an individual registration bank for each MFD record ready named for you with the song title . In fact i deleted the converted playlists it created and use the registration banks only, creating new playlists for just the records i want to use. ( so no deadwood ) the song record is all in button 'one' the rest of the reg. slots are empty, so you can build the bank from button one, maybe using some of the ots settings or adding your own voices .... its GREAT
Use the search facility it is very handy to find your song titles. I also copied the reg folders to style screen ( just bunged them all in a new folder and called it MFD )  - as sometimes you get 'file lost' error if you dont have the origin USB inserted - and this for some odd reason appears to overcome this.

This video explains how to do it very easily - BEST feature of Genos/SX  IMHO
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nB6ntNgJhM
Keith

Blackpool,   Excellent method of doing things, I never thought much about using your method, but I will use it now.  Thanks for sharing that info. :)
GENOS, SX900, Clavinova CVP 307, Korg Pa4x.........

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2019, 01:20:27 AM »
[quote author=beakybird
Rikkisbears, as far as expansion material at Yamahamusicsoft, this is another issue entirely. At some point, I might want to get the Country Musician pack - when it's on sale perhaps.
[/quote]

Hi Beaky,
The ones I mentioned are Free from the Yamaha music website, not from MusicSoft.
Whether of any use to you, is a different matter. Haha
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

Offline beakybird

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2019, 02:08:03 AM »
[quote author=beakybird

Hi Beaky,
The ones I mentioned are Free from the Yamaha music website, not from MusicSoft.
Whether of any use to you, is a different matter. Haha

Yes, I noticed several days ago that I have 4 expansion packs pre-installed on my keyboard. Doing the senior circuit in Chicago, I need to learn more Mexican songs, and I'm grateful for the Latin America pack. Regardless of your interest in Latin American music, you must open up the voices on this pack and explore the "Gritos1" and "Gritos2" voices (shouts). They are an incredible hoot.

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2019, 03:40:08 AM »
Hi Beaky,
Yes, I have those4. Installed, plus the other4 free ones from the Yamaha site.
At the moment I have enough space to install them all, if eventually I purchase some, then I might have to decide what’s important and what’s not.

Wish the music soft site was a bit clearer on what will work and what won’t, I’m fairly  sure some of the packs that the site says are unsuitable for sx, may actually work . But not game to spend that sort of money, and find it doesn’t work correctly.
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

blackpool

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2019, 08:32:05 AM »
Thanks Steve for the feedback on converting .MFD to Playlist

The very fact that it just so easy to do, takes very little memory up and automatically ALSO creates individual registration banks for EACH MF record is great. I have well over 10,000 MF registrations on user, to simply search from and use what i like.
This to me is far more important than creating a Playlist!!  and Yamaha dont seem to explain this super function....a hidden GEM!. If you notice it is not mentioned in the demo by Tony.

Nobody else seems to want to hear about this function ??? .... despite the fact i keep banging on about it in various posts...

If you or anybody reading has any more decent .MFD files we can load - please share

Keith
PS..... and the other hidden BONUS ( some might see this a negative - i certainly dont! ) is the fact, that in the search results, yes .... you may get several duplicate titles BUT you can then pick the most suitable style and voice option and also 'nick' OTS / voicing and ideas from the other regis available,  which are often time quite different, originating from different instruments and maybe using differing styles/ legacy files and tempos..

« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 02:05:33 PM by blackpool »

The following users thanked this post: stephenm52

Offline beakybird

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2019, 02:57:53 AM »
Thanks for the help. I will follow the instructions to properly load the Playlist files and connect MFD files to Playlists.
Within the Playlist structure, what's the best way to see which song(s) correspond to a particular style?

rcpilot

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2019, 01:28:03 PM »
SX-900 comes with 4 FREE expansion packs installed??
Lee

blackpool

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2019, 01:48:37 PM »
Beaky bird -  As far as I am aware Playlist does not offer that facility

The best way now I find is to use a pdf listing of 'regular' style options to find what might be suitable - see below

As i pointed out earlier in the thread, i actually delete the created playlists converted from MFD and then start a new playlist with the records i use from the registrations it created - who needs playlists with 1000 of titles in?
I suppose you could create genre based playlists - but i am not aware of a way of sorting existing playlists this way

see attached pdf - I find it useful

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 01:54:51 PM by blackpool »

Offline beakybird

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2019, 02:53:53 PM »
Blackpool: The PDF is perfect! Did you painstakingly create each entry individually, or was it converted from a MFD or Playlist?

What keyboard was the PDF created for? THANKS!!!

Offline overover

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2019, 03:23:47 PM »
SX-900 comes with 4 FREE expansion packs installed??
Lee

Hi Lee,

yes, here are the pre-installed Expansion Packs of SX900:

https://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/musical_instruments/keyboards/arranger_workstations/psr-sx900/vse.html#product-tabs

Note: If you install other Packs, these pre-installed Pack will be overwritten (deleted). To keep these Packs you have to download the Pack files (.CPF), import it to YEM and install it together with your other Packs (by making your own .CPI Pack Install file or via Wi-Fi installation).

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

blackpool

« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2019, 03:53:17 PM »
Hi Beaky ....Your welcome ... Not my work.
It is suitable for ALL psr/tyros/genos arrangers i imagine and covers most of the popular styles these models have. There is no connection with MF or Playlist, althogh you will of course find these are the styles used, well in most cases.

I have others if you want copies.... I just bunged them in a dedicated folder on my PC.  I can then just search from the one folder on the pc. for the song or style name i am looking for and the results come up ....its a very EASY way of doing it.
I add to them on word all the time and then just convert to PDF

nb...this thread is splitting into 2 topics   ....  .MFD and Expansion  ....  lol

keith

Offline LaHawk

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2019, 12:48:06 AM »
So there are many of the downloaded Tyros 5 registrations that I will never use. Is there a easier, faster way of deleting unwanted registrations?
Larry   PSR-SX900
 My You Tube Recordings

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2019, 01:40:06 AM »
So there are many of the downloaded Tyros 5 registrations that I will never use. Is there a easier, faster way of deleting unwanted registrations?

If you have a Tyros, use USB storage mode. Connect your keyboard to your PC using a standard printer cable. Power on while holding down the Music Finder button. Now your hard drive looks like an external drive to your PC.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline beakybird

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2019, 02:21:19 AM »

Here is a Music Finder Editor: http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha/software/mffm/index.htm