Author Topic: Got my replacement  (Read 4111 times)

blackpool

Got my replacement
« on: December 06, 2019, 03:55:26 PM »
Actually got around to setting up my new exchanged SX900 today - My first one went AWL after only a few days.
I think it was a 'one off'  having had MANY yamaha arrangers and never had an issue in the past with any.
My dealer was very good, It could have been repaired, but R&D want to fully test the first one to identify what the problem was in detail, which is not a bad idea, so they kindly supplied a new unit in the meantime.

Its a bit of a pain having to re-load all my stuff to user, update firmware and get it all hooked up to my PA but I got there.

I really do like the fact you can use all the Tyros/PSR stuff + MF files and each record automatically creates an empty registration bank as well as a full playlist of all the total records in the MF folder, then simply using the search facility in registration, you can easily find the tune you need. There are some duplicates in my 4 libraries, but i have almost 10,000 song records over the 4 MF folders which are very handy.
MF files were always 'basic' but now you can simply edit and re-save as you wish using the whole of the bank for each record and it's ready. The tunes are simply loaded in button 1 in each bank for you and the new bank is named, as per the MF record.
This is a function many users are not aware of, when moving from Tyros/psr to SX and just assume the MF function is not available, when in fact it is, but operating in a different way.
Although not all of the MF functions ie. sorting by style and genre, would be handy - I have not yet got around that?

In all.....These are a terrific board for the cost!  I really missed it and am glad to get it back..

I also see now some dealers are putting these out at a lower price than was the 975 at launch!!  amazing pre Xmas value.
which might just encourage more folks to 'dip their toes' in the arranger market

Keith

« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 04:14:05 PM by blackpool »

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively

Offline ton37

Re: Got my replacement
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2019, 04:15:50 PM »
Hi Keith, nice to read that you have a SX KB again and it is good dealership to give you another new SX. Now you can simply assume that you can enjoy it without technical problems. ;) Never look back to the prices of nowadays 'digital-consumer-devices', they monthly reduces. Just focus on the joy it gives  ;)
My best regards,
Ton

Offline Toril S

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2019, 04:37:59 PM »
Great!!!
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

blackpool

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2019, 05:54:49 PM »
Thanks guys .... I got a GREAT deal anyway Ton at £1640 on a ''pre order special deal ''  ....Some folks paid over £2000 !!

It is just nice that it is a much more sensible price and affordable now in general .... great board for the money!!

Offline Toril S

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2019, 07:43:49 PM »
In Norway they are super expensive, preordered or not. And dealers do not part exchange, so you always have to sell your used keyboard privately.
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline beakybird

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2019, 12:31:23 AM »
Thanks guys .... I got a GREAT deal anyway Ton at £1640 on a ''pre order special deal ''  ....Some folks paid over £2000 !!

It is just nice that it is a much more sensible price and affordable now in general .... great board for the money!!

Congratulations. I was quoted such a great price that my head literally spun around. Then I had to spend the savings on a chiropractor.

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2019, 10:48:22 AM »
That’s great news Keith.
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

blackpool

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2019, 06:37:56 PM »
Thanks - I just finished loading my own styles and reg files...etc. .

There is a VERY important moral to this story -
ENSURE YOU HAVE 'BACK UP FILES' OF ALL YOUR STUFF.
I would have been devastated, had i not had copies on my PC of everything!

Let alone the cost in money, the time spent over the years collecting,editing and arranging the 1000's of files i had on the 900 that went AWL would have been a nightmare if not saved elsewhere, as they were just lost when it broke down.
I found the SX compatible with most of the Yamaha files from my previous models, not including my conversions from all the other makes of boards i have amassed.
I do have the habit now of storing stuff on user ( now the genos and SX has the capacity )  so it is a good idea to keep a regular back up.

Keith 

ps...Now when i am looking for a new suitable style/reg i simply run a search in both screens to provide me with all possible options, which is easier now we have this facility on Genos/SX and the capacity on user, rather than using my PC.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2019, 01:02:19 PM »
Hi Keith,
  Bear in mind that the SX900 only has 6Gb user memory as opposed to 58Gb on Genos. If you are going to use any sound packs you must leave some room on User for access to these from Flash memory.

Offline ton37

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2019, 03:45:24 PM »
Ehhh..., for the record: max. 4 GB @EileenL  ;)
My best regards,
Ton

blackpool

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2019, 06:11:27 PM »
Hi Eileen - Thanks

I wont be using anything like that ....I have never even gone as far as expansion on any board, well unless it was pre-installed.

I hate to admit it, but i am just SO lazy and dont mess with much at all, maybe the odd voice and balance/reverb, but otherwise i am just 'plug and play' END OF ..... 
Maybe i am missing a lot here, but i find with some super style files which i can play around with, the results are stunning...Yamaha have put together some wonderful OTS settings and if you dig into some of them they are ready made gems. i just build all my regis from my imported and factory styles. My conversion sets are super from Gem, Roland, Technics and Korg .
I also dont find my style files take up that much space and it is so easy having everything at hand + you can always delete or add to ( if somebody lets me have a really good style i maybe dont have )

I really just like to sit and play and i think now this SX is the tool ....especially with my little EK50 in tandem, which i just love..

Offline Toril S

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2019, 07:53:49 PM »
You sound like me😀
Toril S

and PSR-47.

blackpool

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2019, 10:51:13 PM »
Yes Toril - I cant possibly do a better job than Yamaha programmers ... Maybe the sound might need changing for the current surroundings, or perhaps an odd OTS tweak, but i usually find what i want in 'ready meals' either from on board or imported converted style files.....to build some super registrations.

I did learn the hard way, spending ( and wasting ) hours p****** about with parameters and settings, only to find there was little difference in the end result.

When the penny dropped and I spent the same time on my technique, that's what REALLY made me sound better.
I do find the 2 live controls great for balance and reverb - and i would not use them for anything else ....a GEM on the fly.

Great 'plug and play' board this ....loving it!!  and the key action is much better than the old S series. in fact i like it as much as genos...mind you I am no pro.