Author Topic: Used PSR-E433 finally for sale in my area!  (Read 4029 times)

Offline SciNote

Used PSR-E433 finally for sale in my area!
« on: December 05, 2019, 06:58:22 AM »
A while back -- maybe two years now -- I posted that I would like to get a "back-up" PSR-E433 in case I were to start gigging (which is still a pipe dream for me at this point) and needed a quick back-up board in case my main board stopped working at a gig.  Finding a used PSR-E433 has been surprisingly difficult, as most have been located quite a distance from me, and often, the asking price is absurd for a six year old keyboard that had a street price of $250 to begin with.  Well, now, there is one on Craigslist that is maybe three miles from me, and they're asking $150.  That, to me, still seems high.  Additionally, the reason that I previously mentioned why I was considering gigging (that I could lose my current job) did, indeed, come to pass, and I am currently making significantly less money right now, so even $150 is a stretch.  I may keep an eye on it, and if it doesn't move after a week or two, maybe offer them $100 for it.

However, my other concern is that I really think that Yamaha is going to shake up their entire line of E-series keyboards next year.  I have no actual inside information on this -- I'm just gleaning this from the fact that they never came out with the expected E273 and E373 keyboards this year (unless you count the E360 as a sort of E273), and I would think that they want to keep pace with the new Casios that were recently introduced.  So, it may be worth it for me to hold off and see if it will be time for a whole new board, anyway.
Bob
Current: Yamaha PSR-E433 (x2), Roland GAIA SH-01, Casio CDP-200R, Casio MT-68 (wired to bass pedals)
Past: Yamaha PSR-520, PSR-510, PSR-500, DX-7, D-80 home organ, and a few Casios

SeaGtGruff

Re: Used PSR-E433 finally for sale in my area!
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2019, 08:20:27 AM »
Based on the initial press release from Yamaha about what they plan to showcase at the upcoming Winter 2020 NAMM, I'm not sure they plan to introduce another PSR-E4xx model anytime soon. :(

Offline vbdx66

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2019, 09:11:44 AM »
Hi Bob,

If I were you I would buy it at once. As you said, it has been a while before a used E433 came up at a reasonable price in your area and it might last some more years before this opportunity rises again.

Like Michael, I tend to think that Yamaha won’t make any serious upgrade to the E series within the next few years. Also, remember that - this is my opinion at least - the E433 has one of the best keybed ever seen in an entry-level keyboard of any major brand. The keybed of the E463 is sub-par by comparison.

Last but not least, IMO it won’t be difficult to resell your second E433 for the 150 $ you will give away for it, should you change your mind.

I had the E433 twice, once new and once second-hand a few years later, and the stupidest think I ever did, musically speaking, was to resell the second unit... wished I still had it now.

Hope this will help you make a sensible choice,

Regards,

Vinciane
Past keyboards: PSR E313, PSR E413, PSR E433, PSR S550, DGX 640, upright piano.
Now: DGX 650, Casio CT-X800.

Offline SciNote

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2019, 10:07:39 AM »
All very good points.  And in fact, in the thread about the new PSR-I500 (the newest version of the Indian music focused version of the E-series), AnupamEnosh posted, in regard to a question about the key feel of the I500 compared to the E463, "I500 is even worse in that aspect."  So, it doesn't seem like Yamaha is currently interested in improving the key feel of these boards right now.

Still, as Yamaha has historically introduced new versions of these types of keyboards roughly every two years, going back at least to the early 1990's, I find it hard to believe that they're just abandoning the market.  Maybe they're focusing their energy on things like the SX700 and SX900, as well as a likely not-too-far-in-the-future Genos 2, but keyboards in the $200 price range have historically been their "bread and butter."

But, who knows?  Those keyboards were often sold to parents looking to get something decent for their kids to learn playing keyboard, but it seems these days fewer kids have much of an interest in learning to play an instrument.  That just seems to be the case from what I read -- does anyone else think this is true?  They can just load all their wonderful apps and their devices and piece together compositions without knowing the difference between a C note and a C chord.  Maybe the demand just isn't there like it once was.  Again, however, just speculating.  Some actual sales figures would be interesting -- including those from Casio, to see how those new CTX boards are selling.

Yeah, I just may jump on the E433, though I'd still offer a lower price.  It does seem to me that a lot of the boards that I see on my local Craigslist spend an awful lot of time there.
Bob
Current: Yamaha PSR-E433 (x2), Roland GAIA SH-01, Casio CDP-200R, Casio MT-68 (wired to bass pedals)
Past: Yamaha PSR-520, PSR-510, PSR-500, DX-7, D-80 home organ, and a few Casios

Offline dogendo

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2019, 10:46:36 AM »
Based on : https://yamahamusicians.com/yamaha-to-exhibit-over-75-new-products-at-2020-winter-namm-show/

"Yamaha will showcase more than 75 new products... at the 2020 NAMM Show.
Yamaha Keyboards will unveil a family-friendly portable keyboard with high-quality Voices and special learning tools ..."

Maybe a replacement for PSR-E262 /PSR-E363 ?

Regards

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2019, 11:36:01 AM »
Yes, that's the announcement I saw. To me, it sounds more like it might be a followup to the recent PSR-E360 than to the more "adult" models in the PSR-E line.

Offline pjd

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2019, 06:08:16 PM »
This market is too lucrative for Yamaha even though they need to deal a zillion units in order to make back a decent profit.

Reading through some of the product web pages, Yamaha still have an emphasis on music education. It's a good way to build the future market for higher end, higher margin sales. I think we'll see more integration with Chord Tracker, USB audio, etc. like the current products. The tablet/app angle is a good way to build an ecosystem that encourages hardware sales.

I live in a fairly diverse neighborhood (Pacific NW USA) and there are plenty of kids getting off the bus with orchestra instruments. Parents who come from cultures that respect and encourage musical ability tend to pass that on to their kids. From discussions with digital/acoustic "furniture" piano dealers, there is a definite trend toward music education in certain cultural groups. So, I suspect that the E-series will remain strong.

From the technology angle, Yamaha have a relatively new, low-end integrated circuit (SWLL) which they are using in the Fxx series, PSS series and SHS-300. Yamaha are seeking products at a price point that meets or under-cuts its traditional big competitor (Casio) as well as cheap knock-offs from lesser known brands.

I'm trying to hold off on any purchases until NAMM (January 16-19, 2020). Fortunately, I've got a mess of new music to learn.  :)

All the best -- pj
« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 06:10:28 PM by pjd »