Author Topic: What if anything is going into your expansion slots?  (Read 4451 times)

Offline beakybird

What if anything is going into your expansion slots?
« on: December 02, 2019, 07:47:41 PM »
I don't play too much international music, and I'm not crazy about the styles and voices in the international expansion packs that I had put into my S970 - I tried one that had a few Irish styles and voices and one that had some Mexican styles and voices.

I wish that Yamaha came out with an expansion of a genre - like a great set of jazz and swing styles with killer brass and woodwinds, or country, 60's or 70's pop, R&B, ballroom. That's something that would be exciting to put into the keyboard. I'm pretty happy with the voices already, but it would be fun if the expansion material sold by Yamaha had some of the S.A. and Megavoices that are in the Tyros 5 and Genos but didn't make it into the SX900. I'd pay extra for that.

Anyway, so far, my expansion slots are empty.

Offline Toril S

Re: What if anything is going into your expansion slots?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2019, 10:08:58 PM »
I sgree. Not a big fan of expansion packs either.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline panos

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2019, 10:45:04 PM »
Hi beakybird,
but...aren't these style folders already as presets on every model?

Some voices are made (and work) only for Tyros and Genos because are the top models and that sounds pretty logical to me.
On the other hand a PSR has also great voices to work with their effects.
There other developers also that make expansion packs for different kinds of music.

rcpilot

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2019, 11:29:20 PM »
Yes, I agree....the offered Ex packs don't do anything for me...when I get my 900 I will see, what's available from other sources tahn Yamaha. Soundwanderland, Bee's music etc???
Lee

Offline EileenL

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2019, 10:42:08 AM »
I suppose it depends on what packs you chose. Yamaha packs usually contain new styles and voices plus some have multi pads and most have registrations. I find the Country Pack, Church and Christmas and Euro&US organs are very good.

Offline Ingar

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2019, 12:11:35 PM »
I sgree. Not a big fan of expansion packs either.
I agree..For the most part, its simple as it gets that works best, anyway for me on gigs. Styles with heavy orchestration becomes overwhelming and dull, and does not suit my audience and my singing voice. I find a lot of useful styles in Countryfolder.

Best Regards Ingar