Author Topic: Changing a midi voice  (Read 10167 times)

Offline mikf

Changing a midi voice
« on: December 01, 2019, 02:55:01 AM »
If you record a midi but then want to try a different voice for a part, how do you do this without re -recording the whole part? Its actually on a CVP but I expect the process is the same as Genos or Tyros. I think I used to know how but have forgotten.
Mike

Offline Ed B

Re: Changing a midi voice
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2019, 03:41:14 AM »
Hi Mike
You can change the program number used for a specific channel in the "song creator." Page 69 of the reference manual covers it for the 705. In My case I usually leave the existing program and insert a program change try the midi and if I don't like it I delete it and then try another or use the original.
Hope this helps
Regards
Ed B
Keep on learning

Offline overover

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2019, 04:02:41 AM »
If you record a midi but then want to try a different voice for a part, how do you do this without re -recording the whole part? Its actually on a CVP but I expect the process is the same as Genos or Tyros. I think I used to know how but have forgotten.
Mike

Hi Mike,

in a different thread I saw that you have both CVP-605 and 705. On these newer CVP model (that have a touch display), press "Menu ---> Mixer". In Mixer display tab to "Song Ch 1 - 8" or "Song Ch 9 - 16". To change the Voice of a particular Part touch the Voice Icon (below the Channel number.

To save a changed MIDI file go to "Song Creator ---> touch Edit symbol ---> Channel Edit ---> Setup ---> touch Save symbol".

P.S.
Older CVP models should have a "Mixing Console" button, and revoicing of MIDI files can be done similar to Tyros- and PSR-S models.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 04:05:43 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Janus

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2019, 09:00:24 AM »
Hi Mike
You can change the program number used for a specific channel in the "song creator." Page 69 of the reference manual covers it for the 705. In My case I usually leave the existing program and insert a program change try the midi and if I don't like it I delete it and then try another or use the original.
Hope this helps
Regards
Ed B
That won't work
There are more voice chances in a track
A keyboard recorded song puts program changes on every style variation, Intro, breaks endings
You have to remove all Program chances first before enter a new one at start of a song

Offline EileenL

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2019, 01:26:00 PM »
You just choose the track the voice you want to alter is on. Press step edit and then tab down until you find the voice you want to change. Select the voice you want to replace it with. See if it sounds as you want and if it dose then go back and delete the old voice. Now the new voice will play when Midi is played back. Don't forget to save the altered one.

Janus

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2019, 02:12:42 PM »
You just choose the track the voice you want to alter is on. Press step edit and then tab down until you find the voice you want to change. Select the voice you want to replace it with. See if it sounds as you want and if it dose then go back and delete the old voice. Now the new voice will play when Midi is played back. Don't forget to save the altered one.

That's right when you make no register chances
When you make register chanches
you have to chance  those voices to

Offline mikf

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2019, 06:49:15 PM »
Thanks Eileen - I will try this tonight. Do I have to be in song creator? Are you saying I just have to change the voice then save, not Re- record?
Have to say it seems like this should be simpler. Certainly not really intuitive and I couldn’t find it in the manual.
Mike

Offline ckobu

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2019, 07:06:31 PM »
Mike

If you just want to change the sound to part, it's enough to go into the mixer window and select a new sound. You then select Setup and confirm with Execute.
Watch the video where this is shown on the drum channel.

https://youtu.be/jUYUmek_O-g
Best regards, ckobu
Watch my video channel

Offline EileenL

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2019, 12:18:26 AM »
If you do it that way ckobu  and you have other voices on that track it will change them all to the new one you choose. If you just want to change one voice on that track you have to do it as I described.
Load your song and go to song creator. Press Step Edit. Select the track you want and find the voice you want to change. Select the voice you want and press it. This will insert it onto the track. Delete the voice that is no longer wanted and now re-save the song. It really dose not take long.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 12:28:18 AM by EileenL »

Offline mikf

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2019, 07:55:54 PM »
I was able to change a voice using the simple method given by Chris, but I could not follow the instructions from Eileen because there is no step edit option I can see. Maybe the CVP is different from Genos.
Also, I am trying to find instructions for how to edit and re-mix a midi song, but there is no section on song creator in the manual at all. I did not get a reference manual with the CVP and perhaps this is what I need. I used to be able to do all this easily on my PSR, but I just can’t figure it out at all on the CVP.
Mike

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2019, 08:50:46 PM »
There are brief instructions on editing songs in Song Creator's Step Edit event list display on page 62 of the CVP-709/705 Reference Manual which you can download from Yamaha.

Although the section is titled 'Basic Procedure for creating a Song', it also applies to editing an existing one.

Regards

Ian 

Offline overover

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2019, 11:14:56 PM »
I was able to change a voice using the simple method given by Chris, but I could not follow the instructions from Eileen because there is no step edit option I can see. Maybe the CVP is different from Genos.
Also, I am trying to find instructions for how to edit and re-mix a midi song, but there is no section on song creator in the manual at all. I did not get a reference manual with the CVP and perhaps this is what I need. I used to be able to do all this easily on my PSR, but I just can’t figure it out at all on the CVP.
Mike

Hi Mike,

you can download the needed additional CVP-Manuals here:

all CVP-705 downloads:
https://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/musical_instruments/pianos/clavinova/cvp-705/downloads.html#product-tabs

all CVP-605 Manual downloads:
https://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/contents/pianos/downloads/manuals/index.html?l=en&c=digital_pianos&k=cvp-605

I recommend to download at least Reference Manual, Owners's Manual (same as you already have as a printed version) and Data List).

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 11:16:08 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline mikf

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2019, 01:57:58 AM »
I think that my problem is that on the PSR3000 there was no MP3 conversion function. So I had an external recording device, and it was very simple to edit a mix, because you could sit with the mixer up while you recorded and manually move the volumes on every channel in real time. It was a very simple way to do a final mix. But on the CVP you cannot do this, because it is an internal conversion, and while converting you cannot access the mixer. 
Mike