Author Topic: Tyros4 Memory Full Error  (Read 4542 times)

bobsaved

Tyros4 Memory Full Error
« on: November 29, 2019, 10:42:36 PM »
New to forum. Thanks in advance to all who help others on this site.

Have been getting "memory full" errors . Ran system diagnostics, all good. Updated sys to v1.10. Even added 1 gig expansion memory, which is probably irrelevant.

Anyone know WHAT is stored in internal memory that would cause a "memory full" error?
How to solve the error?

Any help greatly appreciated!
 :)

The following users thanked this post: sugarplumsss

Offline Fred Smith

Re: Tyros4 Memory Full Error
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2019, 12:05:58 AM »
New to forum. Thanks in advance to all who help others on this site.

Have been getting "memory full" errors . Ran system diagnostics, all good. Updated sys to v1.10. Even added 1 gig expansion memory, which is probably irrelevant.

Anyone know WHAT is stored in internal memory that would cause a "memory full" error?
How to solve the error?

Any help greatly appreciated!
 :)

It’s probably your User drive, which is different from Expansion memory.

You should store stuff on the hard drive, and save User memory for temporary files.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

The following users thanked this post: mhack

bobsaved

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2019, 04:49:30 AM »
Thank you, Fred. I'll look into that.
Didn't know there was a "user drive", only internal memory, a HDD and now the expansion module.
I assume you're referring to the User data screens. Is this an actual separate drive or a partition of internal memory?

Offline Toril S

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2019, 11:29:05 AM »
Yes. And the user drive on T4 is small. As Fred said, use it only as a temporary workplace. Then transfer to the HDD or to a USB stick.😀
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

The following users thanked this post: Ryszard Bieszczad

bobsaved

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2019, 12:25:54 PM »
Thank you both for your replies. I thought I had read the manual, but there in black and white was the "User Drive" in several places! They do say NOT to use it for voices, but kind of encourage use for "favorites." Oh well, I've cleared all User Drive items to HDD and will pray we don't see another "memory full" error in the middle of our Christmas concert next week.

Again, thank you for your help. Very kind of you both.

Bob

Offline Toril S

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2019, 01:49:05 PM »
And good luck with your gig Bob🌲🌲 This is a festive time of rhe year🌲🌲
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2019, 02:53:23 PM »
Hi Bob,

Any time that you want to check the amount of empty space on the Tyros4 User drive, you can do it as follows.

Open a file selection screen (Voice, Style, Registration) and then switch the display into the List View mode by pressing the VIEW button (upper 7 button).

Select the USER drive using the Tab buttons.

Press PROPERTY (F button) and a window should pop up showing the size of the drive (ALL SPACE) and the empty space (FREE AREA).

These sizes are for the whole User drive, not just for the file type of the selection screen that you are using.

It will also show the full name and size of the file that the cursor was on when you pressed the Property button.

After you close the Property pop-up, you can press the VIEW button again if you want to return to the 'Normal View'  for the selection screen.  The View setting (Normal or List) will be retained until you change it manually or carry out a System Reset.

I have attached a screenshot from my own T4 showing the Property pop-up after deliberately filling up the User drive.

Just one final thing!

If you have made any registrations that include files originally stored on the User drive, now that you have transferred those files to the HDD, the regs. will not be able to find the files!  This applies to all file types except User voices which will continue to work correctly even without the the actual voice file itself being available.  Obviously regs. using only Preset Styles, Multi Pads or MIDIs won't be affected.

So if you do use registrations, it might be an idea to check them out before your concert!  ;)

Any that are affected will need to be modified so that they look for the files on the HDD instead of the User drive.

Regards

Ian

[attachment deleted by admin]

Hammond Yamaha

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2019, 04:09:48 PM »
Ian;
This post is very informative.
Much appreciated
Frank

bobsaved

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2019, 06:43:29 PM »
Tyrosaurus etal.... Wow! Someone said these workstations have features that take a lot of time to learn. So right!
So, the manuals say 6 meg of memory. Using the properties screen I learned that the presets show nothing, I suppose meaning the presets are all built into the boards, not using any memory. The full 6 meg that the manuals reference is available to the "User Drive." Quite a revelation to me. The internet had NO answers for me until I found this forum. So nice to have others who share the T4 experience. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.

I now have 6 meg free of course!
Bob

Offline Toril S

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2019, 07:00:45 PM »
I didn't know this either. Guess it is the same for the Tyros 5?
And Genos?
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2019, 08:09:51 PM »
Hi Toril,

List View and the Property function are available on Tyros5.  However I don't have a T5 so I can't confirm that the Property pop-up shows the drive details like the T4 does, but I suspect that it does.

On Genos there is no List View  :'(, but you can see the space available on the User drive and any connected USB drives by pressing MENU >  Menu 2 > touch Utility, and select Storage.

Regards

Ian

Offline Toril S

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2019, 08:52:31 PM »
Thanks Ian! :) I have to watch the contents of my user drive, I use it as my temporary workbench, but that workbench sometimes gets rather full of unfinished song projects :)
Toril S

and PSR-47.