Author Topic: Would you sell your Tyros 4 and trade it in for a Genos?  (Read 1151 times)

Offline justme

Would you sell your Tyros 4 and trade it in for a Genos?
« on: November 29, 2019, 06:59:37 PM »
Hi,

I've been reading a lot and watched plenty of videos about the Genos.
I understand that it's a superior keyboard but would you trade in your Tyros 4 for it?
I'm not playing for an audience besides my family and friends from time to time. I like combining it with my Korg MicroKorg which I have attached to a laptop for some VST sounds.

I would be interested in trading in my Tyros 4 but have no idea what I would get for it and how much I would have to put down for a Genos. Any ideas? It is in pristine condition, has never ever left the house and I'm the only one who has ever touched it.

I'd like to hear some of your input.

Regards,

Cor
Tyros 4, Livello Freres Accordion, Korg MicroKorg, Violin, Hohner Claviola

Offline Fred Smith

Re: Would you sell your Tyros 4 and trade it in for a Genos?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2019, 07:11:22 PM »
I've been reading a lot and watched plenty of videos about the Genos.
I understand that it's a superior keyboard but would you trade in your Tyros 4 for it?
I'm not playing for an audience besides my family and friends from time to time. I like combining it with my Korg MicroKorg which I have attached to a laptop for some VST sounds.

I would be interested in trading in my Tyros 4 but have no idea what I would get for it and how much I would have to put down for a Genos. Any ideas? It is in pristine condition, has never ever left the house and I'm the only one who has ever touched it.

I did exactly as you stated (traded in my T4 and bought a Genos), and am very happy I did. I like the 76 keys, touch screen, better voices, and it's a lot lighter than the T4.

I got about US$1500 for my T4 last year.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline justme

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2019, 10:41:30 PM »
Thank you Fred.
I will definitely keep that in mind. The 76 keys and the better sounds are absolutely appealing...

Regards,

Cor
Tyros 4, Livello Freres Accordion, Korg MicroKorg, Violin, Hohner Claviola

Offline Toril S

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2019, 10:45:47 PM »
Hello Justine. I have a T5, purchased a Genos last month, and still have my T5. I don't think I will sell it. But I am a little crazy when it comes to instruments :) You will love the Genos. It is a fantastic keyboard, but it is longer than your T4, but not by much.
And you get all the extra keys :)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 04:21:04 PM by Toril S »
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline Lyndyloo

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2019, 11:23:44 AM »
I would personally  keep your Tyros4  if you could afford to have the Genos also, I regretted  selling my T4 when I purchased the Genos, so much that I actually  got another T4 ;) some would say how silly is that, but the Genos is a wonderful  machine, it's also totally  different  to the T4. I will say that the Genos touch screen  is so much easier to use than fiddling  about with the Tyros buttons, but hey I still also love my Tyros equally, if you have the room for both, go for it :)

Lynda

Offline JohnS

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2019, 12:15:38 PM »
And yet I've seen so many adverse comments about the Genos here on this forum.
I end up feeling that the Genos may not be a good buy.
(Just my opinion).
My kindest regards to all.

My keyboard holds every song ever written.
I just have to find them.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2019, 01:24:02 PM »
You really should not take to much notice of what you read on here. There are hundreds of happy Genos owners out there and without  any problems. The one thing you must always do is try one for yourself. I think you will be surprised at just how good it is.

Offline Lyndyloo

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2019, 02:23:26 PM »
The Genos is a terrific  keyboard, so versatile & much easier  to use than the previous  Tyros  keyboards,  I do agree with Eileen that you really  need to try the Genos & listen for yourself, the sounds are entirely more realistic, once you get used to it, you would really have fun, I also like the T4 as I stated earlier it's  entirely  different. I would imagine you would be able to purchase the Genos for a decent price now that time has gone on. You would probably  be better off selling your Tyros4  privately  if you need to sell it, for approx 1200, I believe  the music shop I traded mine for the Genos gave me 850
Hope this helps.

Lynda

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2019, 03:25:49 PM »
And yet I've seen so many adverse comments about the Genos here on this forum.
I end up feeling that the Genos may not be a good buy.
(Just my opinion).

John,

It's true there are Genos haters out there, and they were very vocal on this forum. I've never seen a Yamaha keyboard lambasted so much here.

But they are a small (although vocal) minority. They are far outnumbered by the Genos lovers.

You should give it another look. It's definitely Yamaha's best arranger keyboard.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2019, 09:10:33 PM »
Genos is a great keyboard and so it is T4.

So, before trading, I suggest to ask yourself what is it that you are trying to accomplish with the trade . . . what new feature entice you . . . example the Genos display, sound, etc.

The T4 would probably get no more than $1,200 to $1,500 in the US and it is not an easy sale . . . because there are two newer models already out there (T5 and Genos).  Less people looking for T4's.

You can advertise your T4 in this forum and see if someone would be interested. Otherwise, eBay is probably your best bet for selling it, but be aware of the eBay and paypal commissions that further reduces your net intake. 

Thanks
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline DerekA

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2019, 11:06:43 AM »
For people who don't go out gigging, this is really more of an emotional choice than a practical one.

Nobody who has a T4, T5, S975 etc really 'needs' a Genos. But plenty of people want one. Compared to T4, Genos will add things like 76 keys, new voices, ensemble mode, YEM, live control, chord looper, more DSP, and the touch screen which does make lots of things easier.

If you can afford one without risking your food and shelter, and it would make you happy, buy one :)

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2019, 01:21:53 PM »
No, I would not trade in my T4 for a Genos at the moment.  I still gig, although less than I used to.  I've tried a friend's Genos  a few times and it is a cracking board but I cannot justify the cost of trading up.  I doubt the audience would know which keyboard I was playing anyway.  Run through a model 2 Bose with 2 subs the old T4 can still hold it's own. 

I'm on my second T4 and when this one wears out I may then trade-up.  Failing that, I'll buy another T4. For the time being my 'Old Girl' still turns a good trick. 

Needles to say, if a Genos appeared for Christmas I would not be disappointed at all.

Tyros 4 & Bose

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2019, 10:51:05 AM »
I would be asking myself have I used everything in the Tyros 4
Gem Wk4, Solton Ms60, Technics Kn5000, Yamaha Psr K1, Korg Pa50sd, Yamaha Tyros 4 and Korg Pa700