Author Topic: Would you sell your Tyros 4 and trade it in for a Genos?  (Read 13154 times)

Offline justme

Would you sell your Tyros 4 and trade it in for a Genos?
« on: November 29, 2019, 06:59:37 PM »
Hi,

I've been reading a lot and watched plenty of videos about the Genos.
I understand that it's a superior keyboard but would you trade in your Tyros 4 for it?
I'm not playing for an audience besides my family and friends from time to time. I like combining it with my Korg MicroKorg which I have attached to a laptop for some VST sounds.

I would be interested in trading in my Tyros 4 but have no idea what I would get for it and how much I would have to put down for a Genos. Any ideas? It is in pristine condition, has never ever left the house and I'm the only one who has ever touched it.

I'd like to hear some of your input.

Regards,

Cor
Tyros 4, Livello Freres Accordion, Korg MicroKorg, Violin, Hohner Claviola, Arturia Keylab MKII

Offline Fred Smith

Re: Would you sell your Tyros 4 and trade it in for a Genos?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2019, 07:11:22 PM »
I've been reading a lot and watched plenty of videos about the Genos.
I understand that it's a superior keyboard but would you trade in your Tyros 4 for it?
I'm not playing for an audience besides my family and friends from time to time. I like combining it with my Korg MicroKorg which I have attached to a laptop for some VST sounds.

I would be interested in trading in my Tyros 4 but have no idea what I would get for it and how much I would have to put down for a Genos. Any ideas? It is in pristine condition, has never ever left the house and I'm the only one who has ever touched it.

I did exactly as you stated (traded in my T4 and bought a Genos), and am very happy I did. I like the 76 keys, touch screen, better voices, and it's a lot lighter than the T4.

I got about US$1500 for my T4 last year.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline justme

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2019, 10:41:30 PM »
Thank you Fred.
I will definitely keep that in mind. The 76 keys and the better sounds are absolutely appealing...

Regards,

Cor
Tyros 4, Livello Freres Accordion, Korg MicroKorg, Violin, Hohner Claviola, Arturia Keylab MKII

Offline Toril S

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2019, 10:45:47 PM »
Hello Justine. I have a T5, purchased a Genos last month, and still have my T5. I don't think I will sell it. But I am a little crazy when it comes to instruments :) You will love the Genos. It is a fantastic keyboard, but it is longer than your T4, but not by much.
And you get all the extra keys :)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 04:21:04 PM by Toril S »
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline Lyndyloo

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2019, 11:23:44 AM »
I would personally  keep your Tyros4  if you could afford to have the Genos also, I regretted  selling my T4 when I purchased the Genos, so much that I actually  got another T4 ;) some would say how silly is that, but the Genos is a wonderful  machine, it's also totally  different  to the T4. I will say that the Genos touch screen  is so much easier to use than fiddling  about with the Tyros buttons, but hey I still also love my Tyros equally, if you have the room for both, go for it :)

Lynda

Offline JohnS

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2019, 12:15:38 PM »
And yet I've seen so many adverse comments about the Genos here on this forum.
I end up feeling that the Genos may not be a good buy.
(Just my opinion).
I have a Tyros5/76 & Tyros4 SE XL.
My keyboard holds every song ever written. I just have to find them.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2019, 01:24:02 PM »
You really should not take to much notice of what you read on here. There are hundreds of happy Genos owners out there and without  any problems. The one thing you must always do is try one for yourself. I think you will be surprised at just how good it is.

Offline Lyndyloo

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2019, 02:23:26 PM »
The Genos is a terrific  keyboard, so versatile & much easier  to use than the previous  Tyros  keyboards,  I do agree with Eileen that you really  need to try the Genos & listen for yourself, the sounds are entirely more realistic, once you get used to it, you would really have fun, I also like the T4 as I stated earlier it's  entirely  different. I would imagine you would be able to purchase the Genos for a decent price now that time has gone on. You would probably  be better off selling your Tyros4  privately  if you need to sell it, for approx £1200, I believe  the music shop I traded mine for the Genos gave me £850
Hope this helps.

Lynda

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2019, 03:25:49 PM »
And yet I've seen so many adverse comments about the Genos here on this forum.
I end up feeling that the Genos may not be a good buy.
(Just my opinion).

John,

It's true there are Genos haters out there, and they were very vocal on this forum. I've never seen a Yamaha keyboard lambasted so much here.

But they are a small (although vocal) minority. They are far outnumbered by the Genos lovers.

You should give it another look. It's definitely Yamaha's best arranger keyboard.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2019, 09:10:33 PM »
Genos is a great keyboard and so it is T4.

So, before trading, I suggest to ask yourself what is it that you are trying to accomplish with the trade . . . what new feature entice you . . . example the Genos display, sound, etc.

The T4 would probably get no more than $1,200 to $1,500 in the US and it is not an easy sale . . . because there are two newer models already out there (T5 and Genos).  Less people looking for T4's.

You can advertise your T4 in this forum and see if someone would be interested. Otherwise, eBay is probably your best bet for selling it, but be aware of the eBay and paypal commissions that further reduces your net intake. 

Thanks
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline DerekA

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2019, 11:06:43 AM »
For people who don't go out gigging, this is really more of an emotional choice than a practical one.

Nobody who has a T4, T5, S975 etc really 'needs' a Genos. But plenty of people want one. Compared to T4, Genos will add things like 76 keys, new voices, ensemble mode, YEM, live control, chord looper, more DSP, and the touch screen which does make lots of things easier.

If you can afford one without risking your food and shelter, and it would make you happy, buy one :)

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2019, 01:21:53 PM »
No, I would not trade in my T4 for a Genos at the moment.  I still gig, although less than I used to.  I've tried a friend's Genos  a few times and it is a cracking board but I cannot justify the cost of trading up.  I doubt the audience would know which keyboard I was playing anyway.  Run through a model 2 Bose with 2 subs the old T4 can still hold it's own. 

I'm on my second T4 and when this one wears out I may then trade-up.  Failing that, I'll buy another T4. For the time being my 'Old Girl' still turns a good trick. 

Needles to say, if a Genos appeared for Christmas I would not be disappointed at all.

musicalmemoriesuk

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2019, 10:51:05 AM »
I would be asking myself have I used everything in the Tyros 4

Offline justme

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2019, 12:20:36 AM »
Thank you all for your input.
At this point, I'm going to stick with the T4 as I can't justify putting up the money to purchase a Genos.
Like I read in your opinions, I haven't even used all of the options in the T4 and am still exploring.
Most of you are probably retired or even professional musicians. I'm still working full time and paying my keyboards is just for part time fun.

Again, thank you so much for all your ideas and opinions.

Cor.

Offline Denn

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2019, 10:19:45 AM »
Part with your T4? NOooooo!!!!!!

Regards, Denn.
Love knitting dolls

Offline Toril S

« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2019, 11:58:54 AM »
If possible for the budget, it is always good to have your old keyboard while getting used to the new one. After feeling totally at home with the new one it is time to decide what to do with the old one. This is the ideal way to do it, but our budgets often say no. Keyboards are expensive, and to play them we need a roof over our head and some food to load into our stomacks😀
« Last Edit: December 21, 2019, 07:53:54 PM by Toril S »
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline dragonkeys

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2020, 04:03:44 AM »
Hello everyone!

Well, I'm going to tell you my sad story with Genos.

I bought the Genos because I had never bought a high-end keyboard, I had always settled for the S series.

The best:
The touch screen I think is the best, because the handling becomes totally simple.

The new acoustic and electronic drums. (You have to be very meticulous to detect the difference between strokes).

The saxophone voices that were included, and the synthesizer sounds.

The new mega bass voices that were added.

The Kino Strings are not the best but since they are available there, I like the Seattle Strings better.

The downside of Genos:
At first glance the manufacturing, the materials are VERY POOR QUALITY, everything scratches very easily, loses paint in the first months and deforms quickly with heat or cold.

The software, the Genos has had many patches, from the factory it has errors in all the applications, even in some functions the keyboard goes crazy (there are still errors to be fixed).

The price; The Genos is an extremely expensive keyboard (more than tyros) and I am looking to change it for a tyros 5 because in a way the tyros series is a platform consolidated for many years.

The OLED screen; it looks pretty, but it scratches very easily, and also after 4 months it presents the famous ghost images.

The sliders; they have been a nightmare, they do not work properly, when it is cold they go crazy or when it is very hot.

and finally many removed features that were available on the tyros series.

In my point of view, if you want to live an experience with better materials and corrected software, buy an SX900, otherwise, stay with tyros 4 or tyros 5.

Best Regards.

Offline Graham UK

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2020, 09:00:28 AM »
Only change your T4 If you want a change and money is no problem.
Otherwise stay with your T4.

Had Tyros 2 for 12 years...Sold it and purchased a Tyros 5-76.
I'm not planning to buy a Genos
« Last Edit: November 08, 2020, 09:02:31 AM by Graham UK »
DGX670

The following users thanked this post: wersianer

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2020, 11:57:24 AM »
Cor,

I traded my Tyros 5-76 in for the Genos a year ago this month. There is no comparison in my eyes. The touch screen alone is worth doing the trade, it is so easy to navigate now.  The styles and voices are far superior as are the drums. Also having so many DSPs to choose from is a big advantage too. I got $2000 for my Tyros and got into the Genos for another $2500 with the stand, and speakers. Shop around!

Rick D.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2020, 01:33:59 PM »
Well I have had my Genos now for two years and have had none of the problems mentioned above.
Certainly no scratches anywhere.

Offline gary3917

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2020, 05:10:53 AM »
My only deal is the whole new learning curve has changed on the Genos .... very different . I had a Tyros ,2,3,4,5..and they all stayed the same ,therefore making an easy transition ....gettin to old to keep learning and I'm still learning my T 5 ! but If only the price would come down it might be worth learnig again ...but I aint got no big money to do it LOL .,.
Gary
Tyros 5 (finally ),Tyros 4, Korg M3 88,  Kawia MP7,Casio PX 560 Cakewalk Sonar BIAB Cubase 5
Mackie DLM8 Keyboard stereo Powered speakers and subwoofer

Offline dragonkeys

« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2020, 05:41:06 AM »
Hello everyone!

Surfing the net I found these videos, I am totally impressed.

Is it possible to do this with Tyros 4?

https://youtu.be/LQ3MQy6O1wg

David

Offline overover

« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2020, 10:10:38 AM »
Hello everyone!

https://youtu.be/LQ3MQy6O1wg

David

This is the manufacturer of the well-known "G-Master" or "Ghenos" Expansion Packs for PSR-S and PSR-SX models.

Keep in mind that Tyros4 has only one Custom Voice Bank (max. 128 Custom Normal Voice and 20 Custom Drum Voice slots). And of course an optional Flash ROM Expansion Memory board must be installed (512, 1024 or 2048 MB are available). On the manufacturer's website it is stated that this "Superior Pack for Tyros4 & Tyros3" is 487 MB in size.

Best regards,
Chris

➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: dragonkeys

« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2020, 01:39:01 PM »
Wow! If the piano is good, the piano sound alone justifies the price.
But not being a SA voice, I wonder how the sound is...
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 01:41:28 PM by whisperdancer »

Offline Denn

« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2020, 11:31:14 PM »
Hello David,

Looked at the videos and if that fellow played my T4 like that he would be out of the door in 10 seconds flat. Bashing the keys like that would kill the kbd in no time at all. Apart from that, I did not like the sounds, not my scene.
Regards, Den
Love knitting dolls

Offline EileenL

« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2020, 01:00:59 PM »
These keyboards are built to allow hard playing of keys. Pianists do have to press keys harder anyway. It dose not help that his stand was moving around though.

« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2020, 10:58:33 AM »
Absolutely agree.  These keyboards are designed to take a fair amount of heavy playing on the keys.  My old Tyros 4 has had a very hard life with excessive amounts of 'Key Bashing' and performs as well as it did from new.   On the same subject, I recently invested in an SX900 for home use and Yamaha advised me the key problem with earlier models had been corrected and was no longer an issue.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2020, 12:54:11 PM »
SX a great little keyboard and could easily take the place of Tyros 4.

« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2020, 01:12:44 PM »
Indeed it could but I really miss the SA2 voices so I doubt I would use it for work.  Having said that, it is, as you say, an impressive mid-range keyboard and is quite capable of working for it's living if the need arose.

Offline tyrosguy85

« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2021, 01:19:22 PM »
Hi all,
Don't think i would change my Tyros 4 for anything else.I have got so used to the operation and sound of it.It would mean that i would have to load my user rhythms voices etc into a new one!!.I don't have a back up instrument at present so will probably search at another time when i'm back playing out again! I had a Technics kn7000 as a spare but sold it on back during the summer.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2021, 08:51:50 PM »
If hsppy, keep what you have😀 To make music is the important thing, the model number is not important as long as we are comfortable with the keyboard!
Toril S

and PSR-47.

The following users thanked this post: tyrosguy85