Author Topic: EQ changed frequencies in 2.0 uodate?  (Read 7974 times)

Offline Amxf5

EQ changed frequencies in 2.0 uodate?
« on: November 27, 2019, 09:35:52 PM »
As I checked my EQ after the 2.0 update. I noticed the frequencies don't match the original EQ GOLD frequencies.  Does any one have an explanation or reason?  Take a look at these 2 pics and you'll see!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline overover

Re: EQ changed frequencies in 2.0 uodate?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2019, 10:19:20 PM »
As I checked my EQ after the 2.0 update. I noticed the frequencies don't match the original EQ GOLD frequencies.  Does any one have an explanation or reason?  Take a look at these 2 pics and you'll see!

Hi Amxf5,

you can adjust the frequency values  of all ( 8 ) Master EQ bands as desired. Just touch on the values. ;)

For the EQ bands 2 - 7 you can also adjust the "Q" factor (= reciprocal of the bandwidth).

The EQ bands 1 + 8 have are "shelving" EQs. They cut or boost all frequencies below / above the set frequencies. Therefore, they have no adjustment option for "Q".

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 10:21:06 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline Amxf5

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2019, 10:53:24 PM »
Thanks Chris, I just wasn't familiar enough with the ability to change frequencies!

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2019, 01:23:34 PM »
Thanks Chris, I just wasn't familiar enough with the ability to change frequencies!
The point is, these frequencies SHOULD NOT have been changed at all as a result of the 2.0 installation. These are User frequencies, not System ones that Yamaha provides! This is exactly what I mean when I say people must stop saying, "To install 2.0, simply do this and simply do that. All your original settings will be untouched."

The 12dB boost at 80Hz is insane!! That's the punch area for the kick drum. Imagine starting a song on stage with a nice big subwoofer and hearing the kick drum rattling the light fixtures to the point that you can't hear the rest of the Style. Same with the 5dB boost at 4.0kHz. That is a very touchy area for vocal feedback. If you're using the Genos mic input, it could be another disaster!

This bug from Yamaha is completely unexpected and if it happened to me on stage with my current gear, it would be disastrous. Yamaha needs to provide an explanation for this incredible blunder. Meanwhile, check your settings if you've designed your own.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 01:25:53 PM by Lee Batchelor »
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2019, 03:37:07 PM »
Lee,
The 12db and 5db boosts are a result of the user putting in settings based on EQ Gold. After upgrading, V2 leaves Master EQ  with the bland default values of Flat. Hardly life threatening although possibly giving a disappointing sound quality which should alert the player that maybe the settings should be checked if they had not already done so following the upgrade instructions (which I agree should have been drafted with better clarity!).

John
« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 03:48:39 PM by jwyvern »

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2019, 03:52:22 PM »
Good point, John.

I still begs the question, "How did his EQ Gold settings get changed after the update?" I certainly agree about taking snapshots of all your custom settings pages before updating, as described in that very excellent Dutch/English video.

On the other hand, I've never heard of any computer system, dating back to the early 80s, that needed you to "take screen shots of your settings." Talk about unreliable and primitive! That's what backups are for. Any computer updates I've done always had a tool for saving files that could be successfully reloaded after the update. Let's face it, the Genos is nothing more than a computer with keys and excellent sounds attached. The update may have been loaded with great new tools but the method is sloppy and fraught with trapdoors - not to mention the terrible documentation. The clearest documentation came from users. Unacceptable!

It's nice that most 2.0 updates were seamless with no unwanted changes, however, updates should not be destructive to basic existing file structures. If this happens ay home, it's a major inconvenience. If it happens on stage, it's a disaster.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2019, 04:35:20 PM »
Given a choice between having updates with problems (Genos), and not having updates (Tyros), I’d rather have the updates.

Regarding master EQ, it certainly wasn’t the end of the world having to reset them, and I found it a useful review, as I hadn’t touched them since I got the keyboard. I also felt I was appropriately warned that I’d have this work to do after installing the update.

Changing file structures is sometimes necessary, as evidenced by .xlsx and .docx files.

Cheers,
Fred

Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline pjd

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2019, 07:38:04 PM »
Hi Lee --

I agree that writing down (or snapping) all of the System Settings was a bit of work, especially since the settings are spread across several (many) separate screens.

However, to this day, after a major Windows update -- or even an update to the Microsoft browser -- I wind up with different settings and need to fix things. I'm not saying this is acceptable, by the way, as I usually wind up swearing at the %#}~* thing, too.

Software engineers are sometimes too lax or too ready to force such work on end users. Maybe Yamaha needs to add an internal migration tool to its install process -- a tool that saves, converts and writes settings in the new format. Of course, the migration needs to be hidden from the user!

Back to playing! I'm in a new group with lots of Christmas music to learn...

All the best -- pj

Offline robinez

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2019, 09:02:24 PM »
Good point, John.

I still begs the question, "How did his EQ Gold settings get changed after the update?" I certainly agree about taking snapshots of all your custom settings pages before updating, as described in that very excellent Dutch/English video.

i have no idea how his settings changed, but my modified EQ settings were exactly the same as on the 1.4 version after the update and restoring the  system settings. So in my case this problem didn't happen.

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2019, 09:26:42 PM »
Software engineers are sometimes too lax or too ready to force such work on end users.
Good point! I honestly believe most software is released only 75% ready. They let the users do the beta testing to find out what doesn't work. There's a certain justification, I suppose. There's no way even the best software engineers can anticipate how their updates are going to affect all machines.

And then there's Microsoft... ::)!!

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2019, 01:50:20 AM »
Good point! I honestly believe most software is released only 75% ready. They let the users do the beta testing to find out what doesn't work. There's a certain justification, I suppose. There's no way even the best software engineers can anticipate how their updates are going to affect all machines.

I agree, Lee. And Google led the way in this trend. They showed that releasing software care the 80% level was well received by clients, partly because they got stuff a lot earlier, and partly because they had a say in what went into the remaining 20%.

It’s not an ideal strategy for all clients, but it seems to have been adopted by all the big companies. 

Cheers,
Fred

Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline EileenL

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2019, 03:33:59 PM »
This latest update was far greater than previous ones and reprogrammed a lot of things so as expected it reset many things back to factory settings as you would get with a new keyboard. That is why I made notes of all my user settings and things I had altered over time. It did not take very long to put them back in and have it as I wanted.
Would never take my keyboard straight out after any update without checking that everything was as It should be. A little bit of work is a very small price to pay for getting such improvements.

Re: EQ changed frequencies in 2.0 update?
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2019, 08:19:39 PM »
Agreed, Eileen. The only condition is, you must make sure you write down or snapshot ALL required things that get changed so you can restore the Genos to its original functions that you had created. It seems the OP missed writing down the original EQ Gold settings for some reason.

I still think it's possible for Yamaha to write a subroutine that stores all your settings, the update is applied, and then your settings are restored. I have seen several examples of this when doing PC updates. You often see a dialog box that reads, "Saving your settings to the hard drive" or something similar. I know CCleaner applies updates and your original settings are left well enough alone.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2019, 02:56:25 AM by Lee Batchelor »

Offline robinez

Re: EQ changed frequencies in 2.0 update?
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2019, 01:18:58 PM »
Agreed, Eileen. The only condition is, you must make sure you write down or snapshot ALL required things that get changed so you can restore the Genos to its original functions that you had created. It seems the OP missed writing down the original EQ Gold settings for some reason.

I still think it's possible for Yamaha to write a subroutine that stores all your settings, the update is applied, and then your settings are restored. I have seen several examples of this when doing PC updates. You often see a dialog box that reads, "Saving your settings to the hard drive" or something similar. I know CCleaner applies updates and your original settings are left well enough alone.

as far as i know, that's what the system backup setting did. I saved my system settings in 1.4 from that backup menu for system settings and restored them in 2.0 and all my EQ settings were there including! the modified frequencies.

So i really don't understand what the problem is, if someone did the backup as stated in the instructions from os2.0 then there shouldn't be any problem at all?

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2019, 02:27:33 PM »
Now, we have a whole new mystery, RobinEZ :)!

Are you saying the EQ settings were changed BEFORE the 1.4 backup? 

Offline robinez

« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2019, 02:37:14 PM »
Now, we have a whole new mystery, RobinEZ :)!

Are you saying the EQ settings were changed BEFORE the 1.4 backup?

yes,
i changed all my EQ Frequencies to my own liking in 1.4  and saved that setting as a user setting in my genos. Then when the 2.0 update was available i went to the backup page and saved my system setting (as stated in the update instructions). Then i upgraded to 2.0 and restored those system settings and my master EQ and Compressor settings were there again INCLUDING the modified frequencies i made in 1.4.

So i didn't had this problem that was mentioned in this thread.

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2019, 02:54:45 PM »
Good to know, RobinEZ. Sounds like the OP's problem is an isolated case.

Offline Oxford1035

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2019, 02:27:30 AM »
As a side note to the EQ settings, which I had to add againalso. l took photos of all the user settings etc as recommended, but when l went to add them, they were all intact, including my assignable buttons A to F.

Russ