Author Topic: installing music finder files from thumb drives to prs sx900.  (Read 6035 times)

Hoppy12

installing music finder files from thumb drives to prs sx900.
« on: November 23, 2019, 11:17:41 PM »
I Was unable to import styles #7 and #10 on usb thumb drives i was using in my prs s970,  per the instructions given in the prs sx900 ref. manual.
I guess I need a better step by step instruction as how to perform this task.  If I can't utilize these great styles (songs) then I taking this sx 900 back to the store where i bought it.. Thanks for any help out there..
Harry

Offline Fred Smith

Re: installing music finder files from thumb drives to prs sx900.
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2019, 02:43:11 AM »
I Was unable to import styles #7 and #10 on usb thumb drives i was using in my prs s970,  per the instructions given in the prs sx900 ref. manual.
I guess I need a better step by step instruction as how to perform this task.  If I can't utilize these great styles (songs) then I taking this sx 900 back to the store where i bought it.. Thanks for any help out there..

The good news, Harry, is you can definitely utilitze the styles.

But to get help, you need to be more specific.

Do you want to install a music finder, as it says in the heading, or use a style as you say in the body?
Do you have an SX900 as it says in the heading, or a 970 as you say in the body?

The other part to remember is you will get as much out of your keyboard as you're willing to put into it.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline andyg

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2019, 12:17:11 PM »
From the wording in your post, it does sound like you're mixing up three different things. If that's the case....

Styles are basically backing patterns, and you can definitely use anything that worked on your PSR-S970 on the new SX900.

Songs are pre-recorded sequences, either bought commercially or recorded by you or third parties. These should be upwardly compatible between S970 and SX900,  but occasionally need a tweak here and there in terms of volume balance etc.

Music Finder is a set of amended One Touch Settings, that link a given song title to the style that Yamaha think most appropriate. Some are great, some are dire! The SX900 should come with a set of Music Finder settings built in. I haven't explored the keyboard enough to know if there is a 'bonus pack' of Music Finder settings and as I personally never ever use Music Finder, I'm not worried too much! :)

If I'm telling you what you already know, sorry, but I've taught many, many students who have been a bit lost with what's what!

Let us know exactly what you are trying to load into the SX900 and I'm sure that some good advice will be forthcoming.
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com

Hoppy12

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2019, 08:24:07 PM »
Hi Andrew,
   Thank you for your response to my posting.  I'm going to try to explain what I'm trying to accomplish on my new prs sx900 keyboard.  I have been playing a prs s970 for four years and I play with a Classic country band at local senior centers In the Flint, Mi. area.  I'm 79 years old and perhaps not the sharpest old man on the block...  But I'm thankful to be able to contribute to the band sound other than just another guitar...

My prs 970 has a dedicated feature for "Music Finder" songs and accepted two usb thumb drives #7 & #10 which I purchased from the Tutorial web site.  I chose what songs I wanted from the thumb drives lists and added them to the music finder library. 850 songs to be exact. A fairly simple procedure.. took a while too..

All I want to do on the new prs sx900  is find the way, step by step, to  incorporate these music finder songs and be able to play them as I can on the prs 970.

In the prs sx900 Reference manual on the Yamaha website (pdf)  Section 7 "Playlists" explains that music finder records from USB flash drives can be utilized,  but i failed in my attempts to follow their instructions in the ref. manual and the owner's manual, page 91. It was too vague and confusing to me..
   Therefor my inquiry on the tutorial website...
   The  Styles on the psr sx900 do not contain song names. nor have I found any music finder songs..

Anyway, Thanks so much for your input and welcome your assistance.
Harry

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2019, 08:57:25 PM »
Ok. What part are you having trouble with?  What steps did you follow, where did you run into a problem, and what happened?

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

blackpool

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2019, 11:03:32 PM »
Simply connect your usb containing your music finder files and you are able to create a 'playlist' which will contain all the individual music finder records. In turn - most people fail to realise here ...... if you go to registrations it will have loaded a registration bank for EACH of the records with button one lit for each, you can then edit them individually and build each bank from the base one provided.

There is a tutorial available by Bonners music on You tube of how to do this on Genos from Tyros and it works in exactly the very same way when converting from PSR to psr SX

There is no Music finder per-say on the new SX

I FIRMLY BELIEVE THIS IS THE BEST FEATURE OF THE SX / GENOS FOR ANY MUSIC FINDER FANS OUT THERE!!

Hope that this helps
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nB6ntNgJhM

Keith
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 11:15:11 PM by blackpool »