Author Topic: Expression pedal to control filter  (Read 5032 times)

Offline Yinon

Expression pedal to control filter
« on: November 22, 2019, 03:25:52 PM »
Hi Everyone,

Is anyone using the expression pedal to control filters? (Cutoff, Resonance or both?)
I have Yamaha FC7 and I would like to use it to control the the filers.

When I go to the assignable control and look for the option in the menu, changing control is not an option.

Thoughts?

Offline pjd

Re: Expression pedal to control filter
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2019, 06:45:25 PM »
One method is to assign Modulation to the foot pedal and then use Modulation to sweep the filter cut-off (or resonance). This approach came up as a work around to a small bug in the DSP Multi FX. (Multi FX does not respond to foot pedal as it should.)

Here's the procedure:

Select the ClaviAmped voice.

Go into Voice Edit.

Under Controller, set Modulation (+)
    Filter         127
    Amplitude      0
    LFO Pitch      0
    LFO Filter     0
    LFO Amplitude  0

Under Controller, set Modulation (-)
    Filter         127
    Amplitude      0
    LFO Pitch      0
    LFO Filter     0
    LFO Amplitude  0

Under Sound, set Filter:
    Cutoff         -31
    Resonance      63

Go into Menu > Assignable.

Set the Footpedals:
    1. Volume
    2. Articulation1
    3. Modulation (+)
       I have an FC7 expression pedal plugged into pedal jack 3.

Have fun!

-- pj

Offline Yinon

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2019, 06:10:38 AM »

Thanks PJ.

Will try it.
I assume I can try it with any sound?

Thanks,

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2019, 09:03:42 AM »
Hi PJ,

You set the Filter to the same value  - 127 - for Mod plus and Mod minus. Does that work or should one of them be a different value -  say minus?
Just curious, tell me to go away and try it if you prefer     ;) :)

John
« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 09:04:47 AM by jwyvern »

Offline pjd

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2019, 10:31:04 PM »
Hi all --

Yep, that technique should work with any sound. I chose clav for the example because I'm most likely to use wah pedal for Stevie Wonder/funk.

John, I don't think I used any science there. I plugged in values and listened to the result. Your mileage may vary (YMMV). I'm still learning about the difference between Modulation+ and Modulation-. I believe that Mod+ is the joystick forward and Mod- is the joystick back.

Modulation itself is a MIDI continuous controller over the range 0 to 127. I not sure how that range is split across plus and minus, or what. The setings above affect the modulation level, so it seemed to make sense to set the two depth parameters to the maximum. (No guts, no glory.)

Given that Mod+ is assigned to the foot pedal, only the Mod+ depth seems to matter in this use case.

Gosh, I don't really know much definitive about this and the documentation ain't much help!   :o

Have a good weekend and happy playing --  pj
« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 10:45:40 PM by pjd »

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2019, 02:28:51 PM »
Hi PJ, thanks for responding,
Since I did try it and mess about briefly, I thought I should report back in case it helps.

- if you set amplitude to 64 (for plus and minus) the effect can be sustained when the stick is moved vertically (ie. No tailing off at max positions).

- If you set the plus and minus with different filter settings you can get 2 different effects with the forward and back movements. Eg if plus has your filter setting of 127 you get your high freq effect (sustained if amplitude 64).
Otoh if minus has 30 for filter you get a good wah effect (amplitude 64) when moved that way. Tried on Altosax voice. Did not go further but I get the impression all sorts of variations are possible with different values (maybe also combined with certain Dsp's?............)

John

The following users thanked this post: pjd

Offline Yinon

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2019, 02:02:19 PM »
Hi,

I tried it too and it works!

I tried with "swash" sounds like the DarkSaw pad.
It does exactly what I need as I can get my hands of the keyboard to touch the stick.

Thanks for the help!