Author Topic: Genos as a DAW remote  (Read 10412 times)

Offline jugge

Genos as a DAW remote
« on: November 22, 2019, 07:52:28 AM »
Hi,

Has anyone tried to use Genos as a simple DAW remote? I just need to be able to control some basic functions like record, play, rewind, start/stop in Cubase.

On my previous Yamaha keyboards, there was a template in Cubase that allowed me to do that. Something similar to this - https://yamahasynth.com/montage-category/montage-os-v2-5-using-the-new-daw-remote-feature-in-cubase

Thanks
/Jugge
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 12:19:51 PM by jugge »
Welcome to Yamaha Beats. Genos and MODX covers on YouTube.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9yKCzqlOhkulwHFF6P-_Vw

Offline markstyles

Re: Genos as a DAW remote
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2019, 12:15:19 AM »
I use Logic Pro, but I'd assume Cubase can do it too.  You select a 'function' on your Daw, and use a command named something like 'Learn MIDI'  you then toggle or move slider, and Cubase 'learns' that and assigns it to do what you want. 

Yamaha's Montage let's you assign any of a number of sliders to do functions in any DAW.. I'm not  sure if Genos does this.  but it's worth checking out.

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2019, 04:10:02 PM »
Yamaha has yet to provide a decent way of recording the Genos from a DAW. So far, it's a very convoluted process and only successful to a handful of people. I template similar to the Motif and Montage would be a huge help but don't hold your breath.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Bachus

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2019, 08:57:19 PM »
I gave up on this..
I would say buy a small midi controller like the korg nano controll for daw controll and place it on top of the daw.
And connect the Genos audio out and midi out to the daw..  so you can record midi and one track of audio in the daw.

This is one of the really week spots of the Genos.

Offline pjd

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2019, 10:54:50 PM »
Yamaha has yet to provide a decent way of recording the Genos from a DAW. So far, it's a very convoluted process and only successful to a handful of people. I template similar to the Motif and Montage would be a huge help but don't hold your breath.

Hi Lee --

Since this comes up from time to time. According to a conversation that I had with a Steinberg product manager, the Genos product group must request Genos DAW support before Steinberg will implement anything. The feature has to be part of the desired "Genos user experience" as intended by the Genos product group. So, we need to keep banging on the Genos product team.

Hope this helps -- pj

P.S. My cynical side thinks that the Genos team actually needs to fund Steinberg to do this -- it's not just a "request."

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2019, 03:20:29 AM »
Very helpful, pjd. I remember reading a similar post about this a few years back. Providing us with a proper integration tool costs money. There's no denying that. Yamaha would need to assure Steinberg that there would be a decent revenue stream from the creation of this tool. On the other hand, I believe Yamaha owns Steinberg. So, what's the holdup??

I believe a lot of users on this forum would be happy to pay a modest fee for such a tool; although the Montage and Motif users get it for free, but that's another story. For me, either Yamaha needs to meet this request or remove the misleading statements from all the Genos manuals about how we can use the Genos in a DAW. If we could easily integrate the Genos with any DAW, a lot of us would receive twice the amount of satisfaction from our Genos. Tell me that would not increase sales for both Yamaha AND Steinberg!!
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2019, 01:23:30 PM »
Hi

I have purchased a Steinburg CC121 contoller and that is great for faster workflow in Cubase.

All the best
John :)
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2019, 01:45:32 PM »
You just answered my question, John :). The Steinburg CC121 controller is why we will never see free integration software - if that controller makes things easier. There's the revenue stream Steinberg wants. They should mention it in the Tyros and Genos manuals, if indeed, Yamaha owns Steinberg and the darn thing actually works!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 12:58:10 PM by Lee Batchelor »

Offline jugge

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2019, 08:58:12 PM »
Yes. It seams like an external midi controller is the way to go. At least for now. I think the Montage have a dedicated midi port that is reserved for the remote functions, so it'a maybe not that easy to implement. I agree that the DAW integration is the only real weaknes on Genos and I would be happy to pay Steinberg or Yamaha for a solution.

Offline pjd

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2019, 09:03:15 PM »
The CC121 is a DAW controller and one still needs to add a UR audio interface (or whatever) for audio conversion and preamps. Sseems like there is redundancy and extra $$$ everywhere. Even with respect to the Montage, which has excellent integrated USB audio. BTW, The Genos hardware precludes it coming up to the level of even the MODX for audio.

Yamaha+Steinberg seem to be lacking in "systems thinking" across product lines; the engineers seem to "one off" everything with one or two ridiculous limitations to save sales of other products. Usually I'm not this harsh with Yamaha, but in this case, they deserve it.

Take care -- pj

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2019, 01:09:27 PM »
Excellent points, Pjd!! In the end, it's all about the money. As I mentioned, if Yamaha can't provide a decent solution for externally recording the Genos in a DAW - even for a few extra dollars, which I know a lot of us would pay - then take that part out of the manuals!!

To be fair, they don't really mention "DAW recording." They do imply that an external sequencer can be used to record and edit though. I say to heck with the bean counters. If we had a proper integration tool (reduced audio quality notwithstanding), I submit that the tool would result in an additional revenue stream and probably more Genos sales.

Offline mikf

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2019, 04:50:13 PM »
Lee - I think its about what percentage of Genos owners would use this. I can see how this kind of function is likely to be used by many more typical Montage owners than Genos owners. Although there are obviously overlaps, in general the typical arranger owner is a very different kind of user from a typical mainstream workstation owner.
Mike

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2019, 09:32:06 PM »
Very true, Mike or - perhaps that used to be true. The later Tyros keyboards and now the Genos has a substantial appeal to people as recording tools. If not, why did Yamaha bother to put both an audio and MIDI recorder in each?

Maybe in the future, Yamaha will wake up to this incredible opportunity to expand its revenue stream. Perhaps they are happy with the sales of the Genos but that's a very dangerous and complacent attitude to take in a very competitive market :).

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2019, 12:37:41 AM »
Hi
The CC121 controller works also with the Genos when the audio Interface is switched off.
Just to work with Genos midi file using the Yamaha driver installed.
It is good for selecting tracks and switching between screens , markers and jog wheeling to parts in the track for quicker editing.
Great with Vst when Focusrite switched on.
Just speeds up the workflow a little bit better.
Can't beat them , then join em'

All the Best
John :)
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline Joe H

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2019, 05:57:59 PM »
The CC121 is a DAW controller and one still needs to add a UR audio interface (or whatever) for audio conversion and preamps. Sseems like there is redundancy and extra $$$ everywhere. Even with respect to the Montage, which has excellent integrated USB audio. BTW, The Genos hardware precludes it coming up to the level of even the MODX for audio.

Yamaha+Steinberg seem to be lacking in "systems thinking" across product lines; the engineers seem to "one off" everything with one or two ridiculous limitations to save sales of other products. Usually I'm not this harsh with Yamaha, but in this case, they deserve it.

Take care -- pj

Seems to me that now with a touch screen, Yamaha could add intuitive on-screen controls for Cubase since it is likely that all future mid-price and TOTL  arrangers will have touch screens.

It's a no-brainer.

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline Oldden

« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2019, 08:03:18 PM »
Yamaha owns Cubase, yet there seems no integration between the two. Why not include a cut down version of Cubase  with Genos, would it cost a Yamaha that much. We are looking at one company, not two so if anyone from Yamaha reads this please contact your opposite at Steinberg and get talking together.
Oldden.

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2019, 08:33:00 PM »
Yamaha owns Cubase, yet there seems no integration between the two. Why not include a cut down version of Cubase  with Genos, would it cost a Yamaha that much. We are looking at one company, not two so if anyone from Yamaha reads this please contact your opposite at Steinberg and get talking together.
Oldden.
Agreed!! It's a no-brainer that this should have been done years ago. And while they're at it, make it so EVERYONE can understand it!!!

Offline jugge

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2019, 09:01:45 AM »
Happy to see so many peoples interesting in better integration with Cubase. Hopefully Yamaha will listen to us  8)