Author Topic: Placement of Bose L1c  (Read 5864 times)

Offline winternotes

Placement of Bose L1c
« on: November 21, 2019, 01:05:16 AM »
I am a little apprehensive to try speaker placement on the fly at a gig. Bose recommends placing the speakers behind. Some places that I play do not have the room to do that. Where I do have the room, I have not tried this. So: I use a pair of Yamaha stagepass speakers on the floor facing me as monitors. Then, I place the Bose out in front of them. If I did have the room behind me, do you know if I would get feed back if I still use the monitors facing me and the Bose behind?. Speakers would be facing each other.
Thanks
Having fun in retirement

Offline RoyceM

Re: Placement of Bose L1c
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2019, 02:39:54 AM »
I too play in locations where I cannot set the speaker behind me.

This is what I currently do with my Bose L1 Compact:

1. Set it to one side or the other of the keyboard, and within several feet of the end, depending on how much space is available.

2. Line up the Compact's back with the front-most tips of my keyboard stand (this is about in line with the audience side of the keyboard). This puts it a little forward of my ears so I won't hear so much bass (I am usually set up with a wall very near to my back, which can amplify the bass tones if the Compact is too close to it).

I don't hear quite the same thing as the audience, but my consistent setups help me calibrate volume etc. based on experience. As part of my setup, I walk around the room and listen while something is playing. I also invite feedback regarding the volume to help calibrate my ears.

Adjusting bands 1 & 2 of the Master EQ (PSR-S975) up or down a little helps me get the bass "dialed in" for the room.

Other solutions/techniques likely exist that I haven't discovered yet. I would love to hear what other gigging players do/have done with their Bose L1 Compacts.

- Royce

« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 06:34:04 AM by RoyceM »
DGX-305, Roland E60, S900, S910, S975, Center Point Stereo Spacestation V.3, Bose L1 Compact
PSR Performer page

DonM

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2019, 05:06:43 AM »
I always used two, one to each side, slightly behind me, angled a little toward me.  Sounds like you're in a recording studio.
I now use two Maui 5's the same way. 

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2019, 12:34:42 PM »
I play a PSR-S950 keyboard which has two built in great sounding speakers pointed right at me. I use them as my monitors and set the master volume on the keyboard to 75 percent. I have one Maui 5 that I place in front of my set up.

I check the Maui 5 sound by putting a 1/4" plug into the into the Headphone socket of the keyboard, which kills the sound of the keyboard. Then adjust the volume on the Maui 5 to fit the room.

With the keyboard master volume set at 75, I can only hear my monitors. I find that perfect as that is how I practice at home when playing the keyboard. So, when performing out at a gig, it sounds the exact same and I can tell when something is wrong.

Regards
Drake

Hammond Yamaha

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2019, 11:21:06 PM »
I use 2 Bose L 1 compacts about 3 feet behind me slightly angled toward me. I have never had a feedback issue.
I am hearing as the audience hears.  I play while seated so I don’t use the center extensions and it works fine.  If there is a wall behind, I place the speakers 2-3 feet from the wall.  I am satisfied with the results and so is the audience.

Offline tyrosguy85

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2019, 09:21:21 AM »
I am a little apprehensive to try speaker placement on the fly at a gig. Bose recommends placing the speakers behind. Some places that I play do not have the room to do that. Where I do have the room, I have not tried this. So: I use a pair of Yamaha stagepass speakers on the floor facing me as monitors. Then, I place the Bose out in front of them. If I did have the room behind me, do you know if I would get feed back if I still use the monitors facing me and the Bose behind?. Speakers would be facing each other.
Thanks
Hi winternotes.
I use a BOSE L1Swith B1 bass unit which to me sounds great. Did try the compact but thought best to go one notch up to be on the safe side.A little more money but well worth it.
Regards John.

Offline tyrosguy85

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2019, 09:24:14 AM »
Thanks
Sorry misread your post.I have mine on my right handside of the keyboard slightly back from where i'm sitting.
Regards
John