Author Topic: Genos Sysex data  (Read 3321 times)

Offline jugge

Genos Sysex data
« on: November 19, 2019, 07:54:26 AM »
Hi,

Is it possible to make a Sysex dump request from an external sequencer to Genos?

I use to do this a long time ago with other midi devices when I wanted to recall all settings from a project like effects and sliders, etc.

It would basically be the same Sysex data that Genos writes to a midi file when you push execute from the setup menu in midi multi recording.

At the moment, I can get the Sysex data by export/import the midi file to Cubase, but there most be an easier way then do this every time I make a small change like editing an effect parameter.

Thanks
/Jugge

Welcome to Yamaha Beats. Genos and MODX covers on YouTube.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9yKCzqlOhkulwHFF6P-_Vw

Offline pjd

Re: Genos Sysex data
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2019, 05:35:53 PM »
Hi --

Check out the System Exclusive messages on page 112 of the Genos Data List PDF. There is a message for "XG Dump Request."

You may have to find some old manuals for the 90's or early 00's when Yamaha still bother to document these messages.  ;)

All the best -- pj

Offline jugge

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2019, 08:34:54 PM »
If remember correctly, there was an option on my old Motif to start a Sysex dump. You just pressed record in Cubase and then executed the dump from the keyboard and all sysex data was then recorded on a midi track.
I was going through the Genos midi menu the other night, but couldn't find any options to do something similar.

Cheers
/Jugge
Welcome to Yamaha Beats. Genos and MODX covers on YouTube.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9yKCzqlOhkulwHFF6P-_Vw

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2023, 07:21:43 PM »
If you could do it , could you not load up Dx sysex files to get loads of fm sounds into your own packs somehow??
« Last Edit: November 21, 2023, 09:48:14 PM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline pjd

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2023, 10:36:40 PM »
Hi John --

I don't give this much chance of success. DX7 data needs to be converted to Montage/MODX before those instruments can use. The old DX7 was a 6-OP/32 algorithm voice architecture and FM-X is 8-OP/88 algorithms. The number of new parameters, etc. is just too much.

Sorry -- pj