Author Topic: Installing Expansion Pack without Formatting my Existing Packs  (Read 9541 times)

melokeyz

Installing Expansion Pack without Formatting my Existing Packs
« on: November 18, 2019, 02:43:10 PM »
Dears,

After updating YEM To v2.6, I am now forced to make all my packs in a single .cpi file in order to retain my existing packs in the form of reinstalling them. Before, I could only make one single pack in a one single install file and simply install it without destroying my current packs. This I think is counterproductive because each time I want to install a new pack I have to reinstall my older packs with it. I used to untick my existing packs in YEM and tick on only the new one.

Is there any way I can simply add future packs without reinstalling my current packs?

Thx for your answers and thx to this amazing forum.

Offline Stijn

Re: Installing Expansion Pack without Formatting my Existing Packs
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2019, 05:55:14 PM »
No. The expansion memory will be formatted to accept the new system.

You have to setup YEM with your old packs as you did before, and if you want to you can add the GenosV2.0 SuperiorPack.

Since the Genos_InstrumentInfo.n27 file of Genos 2.0 is different from firmware 1.41, you have to delete the current Genos (see Target) in YEM and make a new target with the new Genos_InstrumentInfo.n27 file from your Genos:  (Menu -> Menu2 -> Expansion -> Export Instrument Info)

The first time you MUST save as a "Pack Installation File  *.cpi"

Afterwards, you can add Packs without the need for formatting = Save As ‘Pack Quick Installation’ (*.cqi)

Stijn

PS: unticking existing packs in YEM is not the way to do it, you must keep the packs selected in YEM, unticking them means 'Delete' them from the expansion memory.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 06:19:42 PM by Stijn »
I'm not talented ... but I practice a lot.
please visit  https://www.youtube.com/@StijnBettens/videos

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively

melokeyz

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2019, 07:23:58 PM »
Oh lord, makes absolute sense now. Exporting the new n27 info file after upgrading and add it in YEM is the piece that was missing from that puzzle since it's a major update. My question is, shouldn't Yamaha have written this information in their downloads page instead of getting it from people in a forum? ... I always read the information in that page every time I visit it to make sure I haven't missed something.

Will try this tomorrow and post my feedback.

Thanks Stijn

melokeyz

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2019, 07:39:56 PM »
No. The expansion memory will be formatted to accept the new system.

You have to setup YEM

PS: unticking existing packs in YEM is not the way to do it, you must keep the packs selected in YEM, unticking them means 'Delete' them from the expansion memory.

Oh I forgot to reply to this.

Ok let me explain  ...

I purchased the PSM Pop Essentials Pack 1 when I had my Dreamscapes pack already installed. I added the new PSM pack in YEM and unticked the Dreamscape pack assuming that it's already installed and I don't need to include it in the installation file again.

Based on your statement, the Dreamscapes pack should be deleted after what I did but the weird thing is that it wasn't deleted from the expansion memory at all.

Offline Stijn

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2019, 08:29:26 PM »
Maybe you added the PSM Pop Essentials Pack by using the 'Send To Instrument' on WIFI. That would explain why it was still there .

In Genos 1.4,  if you unticked packs in YEM and installed the pack using a USB drive it meant 'Formatting the memory' and installing only the ticked packs.

In Ver 2.0, the first pack install is done with the Save As "Pack Installation File  *.cpi"  to initialize the new system.
Later you can add packs, without formatting the expansion memory, by using Save As "Pack Quick Installation’ (*.cqi)" or by "Send to instrument".

Regards,
Stijn
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 08:30:11 AM by Stijn »

melokeyz

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2019, 10:03:46 AM »
No, it was via USB too. My Genos didn't come with WiFi. I thought the design of unticking in Genos is to simply not select something again if it's already installed and this is the default concept in the computer science world and that what makes more sense. I can say the technology behind musical instruments is sometimes a bit weird by design. They designed the unticks as a DELETE command rather than an EXCLUSION method and that would definitely be tricky to new Genos users. Not all people are reading manuals for simple concepts.

And because that's the case, then I think I have the illusion that I unticked my current pack  🤣 when it was actually ticked. lol
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 10:06:06 AM by melokeyz »

Offline trebor1950

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2019, 12:13:09 PM »
can I join in please - I'm having an issue - confused.com

My Genos is at V2
I have packs loaded.
Want to load another - use YEM - created a quick .cqi  file
When attempting an install into Genos I get the following...…

Cannot execute quick installation. Install with a full installer (.ppi/.cpi)

Am I missing a trick somewhere or am I not understanding YEM

Any help appreciated.
Rob

Offline Stijn

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2019, 01:29:28 PM »
Hi Rob,

The first pack install is done with the Save As "Pack Installation File  *.cpi"  to initialize the new 2.0 system.
You used a  Save As "quick.cpi". That can only be used after a First "Pack Installation" on your Genos.

Here is a link to a pdf with some basic instructions.
https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,53120.0.html

Stijn
« Last Edit: November 30, 2019, 01:31:39 PM by Stijn »

Offline trebor1950

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2019, 02:16:41 PM »
Thanks Stijn - So remembering that my Genos is at V2 and I have expansion packs installed - If I now create a new .cpi pack file that will include the packs I have and install it which will re format the Genos - will I then in the future  be able to install additional packs using "quick.cqi" file.

Rob

Offline Stijn

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2019, 06:35:46 PM »
Yes. This is a new feature of the Genos version 2.0 .

It was already possible to add packs before, but only by using Wifi and the Send to instrument command in YEM.
Now you can add packs using the USB method, the quick.cqi file.

Remember to keep the packs ticked.

Stijn

Offline trebor1950

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2019, 06:58:43 PM »
Thank you (all)  I will give it go...….a much better idea

Rob

Offline trebor1950

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2019, 02:03:33 PM »
I may be missing something but - I did as suggested - loaded new pack - ticked all the other - created a quick install file - loaded to Genos ……..it took virtually the same amount of time ……..so cant see the benefit...….I thought it would look at what I had already loaded and then just load the additional one...….obviously not.
But hey everything is in working order.
Rob

Offline EileenL

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2019, 02:43:58 PM »
I just bought a new pack and installed it in my YEM. I then made sure all packs I had loaded had ticks in them and ticked the new one as well Selected CQI to save as and saved on my USB. All went well and it took around five minutes to load instead of 30.

Offline JohnS

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2019, 04:14:51 PM »
And here's silly old me thinking that the Genos is a MUSICAL INSTRUMENT!
Oh boy!
I have a Tyros5/76 & Tyros4 SE XL.
My keyboard holds every song ever written. I just have to find them.

melokeyz

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2019, 11:03:53 AM »
I confirm the fact told by Stijn. So, here is the complete installation steps in V2:

1) Export the new .NFO file from the instrument after the upgrade.
2) Delete the current target from YEM and create a new one using the exported .NFO
3) Select all the existing packs and make (Save As) a .CPI package which is done once.
4) Install the .CPI package on Genos.
5) Any future new packs are added in YEM will be saved as .CQI*

* You still have to tick all existing packs along with the new packs when you make .CQI package.

What I notice is that the quick installation (CQI) is not that quick actually. It's just a little quick and still takes time. That's because everytime you install a new pack, you practically still have to install older packs with it again EVEN IF it's a quick install. I hope Yamaha will improve this installation method by just ticking the new packs only. I beleive, by this way, installation time will be tremendously improved. I am sure it's very easy for them to make an algorithm to tell Genos to leave the unticked old packs alone without deleting them.

Offline Gunnar Jonny

« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2019, 12:22:26 PM »
And here's silly old me thinking that the Genos is a MUSICAL INSTRUMENT!
Oh boy!

😁

Good point, because Genos and keyboards / el-organs generally is nothing more than a computer with some electronic hightech equipment inside that's worth nothing without electrisity and some fingers to press keys in a certain manner.
But as soon as it is oprated the way it's intended, it's like magic, not only one instrument, but a whole bunch of them.
Fantastic! 😉
Cheers 🥂
GJ